Is there a way to make your guitar strings feel like they are detuned without detuning them?
The reason I ask is because I usually end up playing 8 - 12 hours a day and my hands are always extremely fatigued because of this so when I detune even half step down, everything becomes much easier for me. (I usually play in standard tuning)

I don't want to get thinner strings and i can't raise the action any lower so is there a way to get that detuned feeling without actually detuning?

Maybe something to do with the truss rod?

Thanks in advance.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Is there a way to make your guitar strings feel like they are detuned without detuning them?
The reason I ask is because I usually end up playing 8 - 12 hours a day and my hands are always extremely fatigued because of this so when I detune even half step down, everything becomes much easier for me. (I usually play in standard tuning)

I don't want to get thinner strings and i can't raise the action any lower so is there a way to get that detuned feeling without actually detuning?

Maybe something to do with the truss rod?

Thanks in advance.

No sh*t shirlock. Did you leave your common sense in your other pair of pants?

Thinner strings are the only way to go pretty much.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
thinner strings would definitely be looser, but you're sacrificing sustain, and some tone.
I'LL ALWAYS NEED THIS
I'LL ALWAYS NEED YOU
i was thinking maybe a shorter scale guitar...if not take a break from playing so much..later youll just be used to it and not so fatigued. atleast thats what happened to me anyway
Now exactly what kind of tonal loss are we talking about here. Because i was browsing through UG earlier today and i'm pretty sure some people mentioned thinner strings are brighter.
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Now exactly what kind of tonal loss are we talking about here. Because i was browsing through UG earlier today and i'm pretty sure some people mentioned thinner strings are brighter.

New strings are brighter then dull out their may be some tonal differences between string gauges, enough to make you not change string? Well unless your name is Eric Johnson then no there wouldn't be that much of a noticeable tonal change.
Quote by metallifan3091
why not just detune?

Because the bands i listen to / play with are in E standard 99% of the time.
The only time i detune for a song is if i'm at home by myself playing something by Slayer or Viking Kong/Scarified.
And if I get too used to detuning, then i play worse when i get back in E.

Quote by azn_guitarist25
New strings are brighter then dull out their may be some tonal differences between string gauges, enough to make you not change string? Well unless your name is Eric Johnson then no there wouldn't be that much of a noticeable tonal change.

Even though i'm some what an "eric Johnson" type tonal *****. I don't make that big of a fuss about it but with thinner strings there's less of a feel to it. And i think someone mentioned sustain?
Last edited by xMetalCoreKingx at Aug 5, 2009,
I find that thinner strings sound 'pingy' on the top string
that's about it
if you're heavy on the distortion you won't notice
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Even though i'm some what an "eric Johnson" type tonal *****. I don't make that big of a fuss about it but with thinner strings there's less of a feel to it. And i think someone mentioned sustain?

Dunno about the sustain bit myself i've got 9's on my Dellinger and 10's on my Eclipse and RG and haven't found that i've lost a great deal amount of sustain. Even if it were to be true how much would be noticeable either way just try out the thinner gauges and if you don't like the feel of them then just go back to your original gauge.
I honestly believe that if you practice 12 hours per day, detuning some of the time won't be that detrimental, relative to the payoff from practice. If you play by yourself most of the time, as long as your guitar is tuned relatively to itself, the songs will still sound right, they'll just be tuned a half step lower. The strings will be looser, so they shouldn't be as tiring for your hands. Thats my opinion, and you certainly don't have to agree.
Did anyone else notice 'I can't raise the action any lower'?

But, if you're hands are feeling fatigued, don't play. You're just gonna cause some serious damage and all that. At least work up on your endurance, maybe like ending at where you hands get fatigued the first time, and eventually your endurance will go up.

But don't you think 8-12 hours is a bit much?
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Lil Macker

Yes.

Your solutions:

1. Detune. Yes, you'll be playing in a different tuning, so what.
2. Lighter strings.
3. Man up. (Not recommended - that's not good for you.)
4. Chill out and stop practicing so god damn much. You're not doing yourself any good if your tired when you do it.

Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 5, 2009,
LOL. Didn't realize i said "raise the action any lower". I mean't make. But w/e. And i can't just play less it's like the only thing i do every day.
Hey I used to practice about 8 hours a day....it easy when you grow up in a small town full of rednecks and you're the only person into metal. Really not much else to do...except fap.

TS - your just going to have to deal with it. Either leave it detuned and use a capo, or if your guitar doesn't have a floating trem just redo your tunnings when you need to...its not that hard. Or buy a second guitar to leave in one tunning.
Download Audacity.

Detune Songs.

Detune Strings.

Detune playing time.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Lil Macker

But, if you're hands are feeling fatigued, don't play. You're just gonna cause some serious damage and all that. At least work up on your endurance, maybe like ending at where you hands get fatigued the first time, and eventually your endurance will go up.

But don't you think 8-12 hours is a bit much?

That was the first thing I noticed.

I know back in the day 8 hours wasn't much to me when I had nothing to do. Nowadays I'm lucky to get an hour or two in everyday. Actually I'm lucky to get any practice in everyday.

So maybe get another guitar to have detuned at all times? When your hands get tired, move over to the detuned guitar. Just a thought...
Put a set of 8's strings into your guitar.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz