Searchbarred and I'm not going more than 4 pages.

I got a guitar slide today and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to use it, what songs and the like.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
No more tears, free bird
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I've seen it on the middle and pinky, but I recommend putting it on your ring finger.

When the slide is on the strings place the fingers above the slide on the strings, on the side of the slide closer to the nut. This stops some noise.

Also, props on this. Lots of folks are frightened of slides. Good for you venturing into this area, there's lots of neat stuff.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 5, 2009,
In My Time of Dying - Led Zeppelin
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Flying Couch
I've seen it on the middle and pinky, but I recommend putting it on your ring finger.

When the slide is on the strings place the fingers above the slide on the strings, on the side of the slide closer to the nut. This stops some noise.

Also, props on this. Lots of folks are frightened of slides. Good for you venturing into this area, there's lots of neat stuff.

thankyou very much, i was wondering how to reduce noise
Well I enjoy playing slide and there are a lot of things to think about.

First thing is that you have to put the slide ON the frets, so for a G you place the slide on the fret separting the third and fourth fret. This is why you need to have high action, oterwise you'll hit the fret or the note will buzz. So if you got low action, you need to heighten it, because you can't do it on a guitar with low action.

The other part is which finger to use. The most common is the middle or pinky. I prefer the middle. Also it's a good idea to use your index finger to dampen the notes on the fretboard. Either that or do as I do.

Third I recommend to play with your fingers. Since you have a slide on the finger, you're not touching the fretboard. If your using a pick your not touching the strings. Then you have con direct feeling on the guitar. Plus if you use your fingers it is SO much easier to use a slide. Most of the time I just dampen with my right hand. Only then can you really control it. I started doing it ater reading an interview with Dickey Betts (Allman Brothers) who told him Duane had this philosophy.

Last but not least some good slide artists include Ry Cooder, Johhny Winter and David Lindley. Also have a listen to Joe Bonamassa, who's done some great slide stuff and is very influenced by these artists. Billy Gibbons has done some great slide stuff too (just listen ot Just Got Paid) and of course we have Jimmy Page.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I could never figure out how to mute the other strings, I guess using your frethand makes sense. I tried to use my pick hand, and that didn't works so well.

There should be a sticky about this, for serious.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by tyler_j
Searchbarred and I'm not going more than 4 pages.

I got a guitar slide today and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on how to use it, what songs and the like.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Really!!?! I did a search on this a couple of days ago and within three pages I had a ton of information.

I tried to post it for you on here, but my pos work computer keeps freezing up. I'll send you a PM. Most of the stuff was from imgooley since he's a slide mastah.

PM on the way
check out Arlen Roth's lessons on gibson's site, quite useful, especially the section on blocking and damping.
listen to some Duane Allman. Layla and other assorted love songs and The Allman Brothers Band: Live at Fillmore East would be good places to start.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
listen to some Duane Allman. Layla and other assorted love songs and The Allman Brothers Band: Live at Fillmore East would be good places to start.

Shame people only know him for his slide playing though. He was a hell of a regular picker, too.

Now if you really want to learn how to play some slide, I suggest you listen to some old Elmore James.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Jak Archer
In My Time of Dying - Led Zeppelin

+1 This has to be one of my favorite songs by Led Zeppelin.
Try playing some White Stripes
Quote by stratman_13
Shame people only know him for his slide playing though. He was a hell of a regular picker, too.

Now if you really want to learn how to play some slide, I suggest you listen to some old Elmore James.

i like him for all of his stuff, man. Ever heard him doing "Going Down Slow" with a power trio?

Blue Sky, Mountain Jam, Whipping Post, Standback, Little martha... it's all good sh*t.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Tool has some songs that use a slide if you're more into that sort of thing.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by Jhachey22
i like him for all of his stuff, man. Ever heard him doing "Going Down Slow" with a power trio?

Blue Sky, Mountain Jam, Whipping Post, Standback, Little martha... it's all good sh*t.

Oh, I'm not saying that you knew only that

I know you do, I was just speaking in generalities. Now if you really want a song with some hot slide licks, give "Done Somebody Wrong" a listen.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by stratman_13
Oh, I'm not saying that you knew only that

I know you do, I was just speaking in generalities. Now if you really want a song with some hot slide licks, give "Done Somebody Wrong" a listen.

one of my favourites. i have his anthology set, and it's awesome. Aretha Franklin's cover of "the Weight" is such a good cut. Wilson Pickett's version of "hey Jude" is quite awesome as well.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I prefer slides on my middle finger, muting with my pointer finger. Just my preference.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by TDS
Tool has some songs that use a slide if you're more into that sort of thing.

which songs?
I love tool, but I had no idea Adam Jones used slide on any songs
Let's Build a Home by the White Stripes. Awesome track.
Chitarre:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
1969 Fender Competition Mustang Bass (Competition Red)
Amplificatore:
Orange Thunderverb 50 head
Orange PPC412

Effetti:
Fulltone OCD V 1.4
EHX Big Muff PI
EHX Small Clone
Boss TU-3