sight reading -- super super important.
versatility --- need to have a good grounding in most genres
good ear --- also super super super important

I recently went looking for some session guys to do my exam with. These pieces are hard as it is, I don't want to have to teach someone else what I've taken months to do myself. with these pieces ill give them a week. Some, I expect them to be able to play straight away.

therefore. SIGHT READING >>> NEED NEED NEED
Talent, strong reading skills, good improv, and a lot of luck. Most labels/producers who hire session players already have a network of musicians they go to so don't get your hopes up. Try starting off with some indie/local labels and see how it goes.
Quote by mdwallin
sight reading -- super super important.
versatility --- need to have a good grounding in most genres
good ear --- also super super super important

I recently went looking for some session guys to do my exam with. These pieces are hard as it is, I don't want to have to teach someone else what I've taken months to do myself. with these pieces ill give them a week. Some, I expect them to be able to play straight away.

therefore. SIGHT READING >>> NEED NEED NEED

From my limited experience, this is pretty good.

Also, for some people you'd work with, you'd need the (surprisingly uncommon) ability to shut the fuck up and do what someone tells you. There are some people that just want you to play your freaking instrument, not give creative input. Really, quite a few of the guitarists I know have forgotten all about session playing once they realized that it involves playing other people's music.
The ability to sight read.

REALLY ****ing well.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by Flying Couch
From my limited experience, this is pretty good.

Also, for some people you'd work with, you'd need the (surprisingly uncommon) ability to shut the fuck up and do what someone tells you. There are some people that just want you to play your freaking instrument, not give creative input. Really, quite a few of the guitarists I know have forgotten all about session playing once they realized that it involves playing other people's music.

**** YEAH.

I cracked it at one of the drummers I tried. He was all like 'the song isn't meant to sound liek that.' and 'what if I do this here?'

I ended up shouting at him and giving him an enormous lecture on how I'm not paying for his opinion, I'm paying for him to do what I tell him to do.

I think by the end of it, I said he'd make a **** gigolo...

yeah...

/rant
Become an efficient sight-reader. Also, familiarise yourself with some musical terms.

Be able to play in many genres, not just rock and metal etc. Learn your chords as well as your notes.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Like said, be a good sight-reader

Also, be sure to have versatile gear like a line 6 Vetta or something
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
well...jimmy page did it....why not ask him

"Learn to sight read, it worked for me"
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!