I got an offer to join/form a band.

So far they have a singer and a guitarist/background singer so they gave me the choice of guitar, bass or drums. Since I don't really enjoy playing drums much that left me with only two choices. Since bassists are so rare and since they already had a guitarist I chose bass. It's unlikley they will find anyone else who plays bass any time soon.

My problem(s):
I have a bass but no amp.
I am primaraly a guitarist.

I have no objections to playing bass but guitar is really my main instrument. Where I live there are literaly hundreds of guitarists begging to get into bands so as a young guitarist with no giging experiance I'm at the bottom of the barrell.

As a bass player I have loads more options than every other teenage guitarist metal head.

So... Do I play bass or guitar?
you know what , i think you should play bass.These day there is like no bass players and large amounts of guitarists.Give it a try
You've already said you'd play bass, stick with it.
My "Rig":

Fender American Telecaster
Boss OD-2
EHX Small Clone
EHX SMM avec HAZARAI
^ +1

You'll need a decent amp though...200W at least for live shows, and that's the bare minimum if you want to hear yourself. Do you have any money for one?
Nope, no sig here.
Practise both, play bass in this band once you have some gigging experiance then you can try join a band as a guitarist (or even set up your own band).

So get an amp and enjoy yourself.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Quote by Mutant Corn
^ +1

You'll need a decent amp though...200W at least for live shows, and that's the bare minimum if you want to hear yourself. Do you have any money for one?

Well the place we are going to rehearse at has a big PA and the guitarist has a big 200 watt bass amp. However, I really need to get my own. I have money to spare but I'm working on getting some recording gear and then saving for a car so I don't have a hell of a lot to spare. I'll have a look at what's in my price range.
If you're like me and would just jump at any opportunity to perform you'll go with bass. I play bass in a few bands and fill in a lot when bassists are needed. Just so I can play more with other people.

It's the same here. All guitarists no bassists.

I also have a bass and no bass amp. Seeing as bass is not your main instrument and EVERYONE knows this. Take your time looking for an amp. Try lots, and don't get one too expensive, as you don't want to spend more money on bass than guitar.

There are also a lot of places to rent bass amps and shiz.

as long as you don't have your amp on too loud, you should be ok with playing bass through, just rent a bass amp for rehearsals when there are none available.
Yep go with the bass if you don't enjoy playing drums. I've played bass in a couple of bands on the side and I've really enjoyed it.

At first I was a little apprehensive because for some reason I thought it was a "simpler" instrument - boy was I wrong! Creating good bass parts is a very rewarding challenge that changes the character and feel of the song. It will also improve your guitar playing as you learn to structure parts that fit with the bass better.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
stick with bass, you choose it in the first place after all

also since the guitarist has a 200w bass amp you don't need to rush into buying one, still get one but at the right time but until then if correctly toned guitar amps can work fine for bass
Just try to get more into bass then. Play bass like a bassist and not like a guitarist.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by War_Demon

correctly toned guitar amps can work fine for bass

Do NOT do this, guitar speakers cannot handle that low of a frequency, and you WILL blow them.

And 2nd the notion of sticking with for the bass for this one, it sounds like you already had that figured out for the most part. What size/how many speakers does that bass amp have? Does it have a speaker out?
Last edited by underground666 at Aug 5, 2009,
If you take the time to get good at bass, you'll be a far better guitarist as well, because bass takes so much more finesse and skill.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Do the bass thing- Why?
You will be able to meet more people at gigs and than you can start your own group

Bass or drums. Everyone plays guitar, but a good bassist or drummer are a lot harder to find.
As already said, stick with bass, mainly because you've already told them you would do it. You might get lucky and find a guitarist who also plays bass too, than your band could have 2 guitarist/bassist and switch with each other between certain songs. That's what my last band did, it's cool because not everyone does that.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

The world is always in need of bass players.

Wield your warm noisemaker, and finger it to victory.
Bass, but play guitar on the side.

That's what I do :P
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by godisasniper
If you take the time to get good at bass, you'll be a far better guitarist as well, because bass takes so much more finesse and skill.

I think you shouldn't compare bass to guitar, they are very different instruments. However you could easily argue that bass is more important than guitar when drums get involved.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud