I'm thinking of taking my guitar with a rosewood fingerboard from Adelaide, Australia to Vietnam with me on holidays. But I've been told that if my guitar stays in a humid place for a long time, the change in humidity on the trip back will severely dry out my guitar's fingerboard and cause it to crack.

If this is true, how do you prevent this from happening when you take your guitar from a humid country to a country where the air is dry?
I'm sure that a good hard case will be enough...
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
I bought my guitar in New York, and took it through Dallas, L.A. and a week in Hawaii before coming back to Melbourne (all during August last year), and so far it's fine. However I do believe it's true in most cases.
DUDE. dont u watch nothing to declare. if u take wood overseas, bring it back, thenthe paranoid ass customs mite take and confiscate ur guitar. coz they dont alow any wood to be brough in from foreign countrys coz f infestation from foreign bugs and diseases ad ****.
Quote by VIO-LENT
DUDE. dont u watch nothing to declare. if u take wood overseas, bring it back, thenthe paranoid ass customs mite take and confiscate ur guitar. coz they dont alow any wood to be brough in from foreign countrys coz f infestation from foreign bugs and diseases ad ****.

err my dad and i got a guitar from china and we got it back to aus just fine. yes customs do check it but they only confiscate it if it has parasites, bugs or whatever. if its clean then you can take it home.
i wouldn't bother. i mean, lugging a guitar around when you are supposed to be on holiday. it's only going to get in the way and anyway someone will probably steal it from your hotel room.

sounds like a load of hassle to me. can't you do without it for a few weeks?
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dr_john
i wouldn't bother. i mean, lugging a guitar around when you are supposed to be on holiday. it's only going to get in the way and anyway someone will probably steal it from your hotel room.

sounds like a load of hassle to me. can't you do without it for a few weeks?

you make guitar playing sound like a burden. id want to bring a guitar on a trip
Quote by jimzer
you make guitar playing sound like a burden. id want to bring a guitar on a trip

Vacations are suppose to be relaxing. As much as I love to play guitar myself, carrying it around would be a huge pain in the ass, even if it was just an acoustic.

If you really want to, as said before all you'll need is a good hardshell case and it'll be fine.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
Vacations are suppose to be relaxing. As much as I love to play guitar myself, carrying it around would be a huge pain in the ass, even if it was just an acoustic.

If you really want to, as said before all you'll need is a good hardshell case and it'll be fine.

That was my point really. When I go on vacation i miss my guitars and love to get back to them, but carrying one around on vacation carries the risk of damage, theft, unhelpful airlines etc etc.
- Jimi Hendrix
Which part of vietnam are you going to? And imo as long as you leave the guitar in a place for about a day to get used to the new climate you could get away with it. Anyway have fun and go visit Nha Trang I went their earlier this year and it's a fun place especially VinPearl island.
Quote by dr_john
That was my point really. When I go on vacation i miss my guitars and love to get back to them, but carrying one around on vacation carries the risk of damage, theft, unhelpful airlines etc etc.

Not to mention you pick up that thing like never before when you get back, gives me a bit of a attributal boost, sadly only temporary, but damn does it feel good.

It's like no fap February. You stay the whole month without jerking it but when you go back to it, it's like a liquid heaven, only those damn tissues are never in sight.

Hah, way too much information.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
at least get it insured if you do, then if anything goes wrong and it gets broke (god forbid) then at least you have something to take solace in
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
I'm going to be staying at my relatives' house for like 5 or 6 weeks. We'll be going on tours every now and then but the majority of the time will be spent at their house.

So a decent hardshell case would be enough to block out the moisture, right?
Quote by ZeroCS
Not to mention you pick up that thing like never before when you get back, gives me a bit of a attributal boost, sadly only temporary, but damn does it feel good.

It's like no fap February. You stay the whole month without jerking it but when you go back to it, it's like a liquid heaven, only those damn tissues are never in sight.

Hah, way too much information.

- Jimi Hendrix