Hi I've been playing guitar for about 9 months now with an acoustic and I think I wanna start playing a bit of electric now cos I can't sing and acoustic songs are boring when u can't sing

Anyway my brother has a Fender Squier which I've been messing about with this summer while he's away, but I'll be going back to college next month and I want my own electric guitar while I'm away from home.

I've heard Fender Squiers are the best beginner's electric guitar but I really don't know much about electric guitars. Anyway I've been looking online to see what would be best for me and looking on ebay for good prices. I live in Ireland and there really aren't many good music shops in my area, the only music shop in my town is tiny and sells about 3 types of electric guitar, the only one in my price range is a Fender Squier I think.

So I'd be willing to spend about €350, which is probably too much for my first electric anyway. I found this on ebay, Squier Strat, and am considering getting it. It works out at around €220 incl. postage etc.

What do you good people think? Should I get a Fender Squier in my town for like €180 or whatever they're going for or do you think I'd be worth the extra cash for a better one? Or is it even much better? I don't wanna go blow my moneyzz on an impulse buy so please help!
find out which model squiers your towns store has first. if its an affinity, california or bullet series, go for the one on ebay if thats what you want. but i recommend looking at some epiphone, ibanez and other guitars first.
I'm on my lunch now, I'll head over and hav a look what they got.
Well, not that the Squier won't be the perfect guitar to start out with, it just gets very annoying to use after awhile. Btw, you are buying an amp, yes?

There's the Ibanez RG120 which is $200 new, that's not all that great either. I'd prefer it over the Squier though.

I would say to save up more money because it's always worth it, but if you really just want to practice so you can get more serious, just buy some cheapo guitar and a Peavey Vypyr 15w practice amp, if you need an amp that is.

What genre's will you be playing? If you're in to more clean stuff then Squier it is.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 5, 2009,
Well lately I've just been trying anything that sounds hard (to me), like I've been practising Plug In Baby by Muse, maybe not very impressive but it's this first I've really done other than chords.

I'd like to be able to play that kind of rock, nothing too metal, it's just for fun really.
I have loads of cheap amps lying around but I probably will buy something half decent when I've a bit more money. For now I just want a nice guitar to be able to play when I'm living away from home, can't really rob my brothers.

In my local guitar shop they had the following,
Fender Squire Affinity Strat (no price, I think it was like €199 or something)
Epiphone SG €350 (looked quite good and I've heard good things about them)
and a Squier Telecaster €385

So it's down to those guitars (and the one on ebay), what do you think? Would one of these be an ok beginner guitar, and which one?
No-one wants to know what you want to play? Weird! Anyway, I prefer Yamaha Pacifica or Cort G series in Strat type guitars. They are around the same price as Squiers over the range and are very well built. The Corts probably have better pickups.
If you want to venture into non-strat types, Cort X-2 is a great starter super Strat or their Z42 is more of a body-shaped Les Paul look. For college, I'd advise keeping away from any of the more stylised types that may not stand up to the occasional knock.

Just seen your latest post.
Stay away from Epiphone. I have never played one I would enjoy for more than a few minutes except Emily the Strange SG, which was alright but nothing special. If your local store only has four reasonably priced electrics, then really, look around a bit further.

I just saw you are talking in Euro which opens up the option of Vintage brand. They make nice Les Pauls which sell for a tad over 200 and SG's for a bit under 200. I think they also have a big range of Strat types and all are better value than 'cheap' Gibsons or Fenders.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Aug 5, 2009,
Squiers are great, brilliant for beginners, although alot of people use them for their price and quality. Another good idea is to look at Epiphone, you can get a good LP off Ebay for about $300au. Another good one is the Ibanez beginner range of guitars "GRG".

**edit

Quote by EmmetF
Well lately I've just been trying anything that sounds hard (to me), like I've been practising Plug In Baby by Muse, maybe not very impressive but it's this first I've really done other than chords.

I'd like to be able to play that kind of rock, nothing too metal, it's just for fun really.
I have loads of cheap amps lying around but I probably will buy something half decent when I've a bit more money. For now I just want a nice guitar to be able to play when I'm living away from home, can't really rob my brothers.

In my local guitar shop they had the following,
Fender Squire Affinity Strat (no price, I think it was like €199 or something)
Epiphone SG €350 (looked quite good and I've heard good things about them)
and a Squier Telecaster €385

So it's down to those guitars (and the one on ebay), what do you think? Would one of these be an ok beginner guitar, and which one?

I'd personally choose the Strat or the SG, purley out of perosnal preference. Just get whichever you like the most, but i'd reccomend playing them first.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Last edited by vinc3nt at Aug 5, 2009,
Ok there's this Epiphone LP for €260 incl. postage, that looks like tho most reasonably priced LP I can find that will ship to Ireland (in this case it's in Ireland)

What do you all think now? I still think the Squier Strat I found on ebay is my fav, or maybe the Epiphone SG across the road.
Oh Gods NO! That Epi100 is a very nasty bolt neck POS. My local shop in Clonmel has one for under 200 and can't sell it. It is a discontinued model.
Just like Yesterday

Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by vinc3nt
I'd personally choose the Strat or the SG, purley out of perosnal preference. Just get whichever you like the most, but i'd reccomend playing them first.

Ok I think I'll get one of those two so. They kinda struck me as the best two and after reading reviews online and stuff I think I'd be happy enough with one of them.

So €220 for the Strat, or €350 for the Epiphone SG? Is the extra €130 worth it?
Maybe if I get the Strat I'll hav extra for an amp, how much should I be looking to spend on an amp anyway?

Thanks for all the help (everyone), I really appreciate it!
Quote by EmmetF
Ok I think I'll get one of those two so. They kinda struck me as the best two and after reading reviews online and stuff I think I'd be happy enough with one of them.

So €220 for the Strat, or €350 for the Epiphone SG? Is the extra €130 worth it?
Maybe if I get the Strat I'll hav extra for an amp, how much should I be looking to spend on an amp anyway?

Thanks for all the help (everyone), I really appreciate it!

Squier Strat: Lower Quality compared to other strats, probably sounds boring, fret buzz like hell, etc.
Epi SG: Pretty good for it's range, as are most Epiphones. Worth the extra 130 whatever type of currency.

Get that Epi. You'll be a lot happier.

EDIT: Sorry.

Your amp is your most important part of your gear come to think of it. While the SG is a more solid guitar a better amp would affect your tone more. Not saying you need it, but you'll want some decent quality.

Look for some cheap Fenders, but AVOID the Frontman series. You might as well just plug your cable in to a baby's ass, that's just how whiney it sounds.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

Last edited by ZeroCS at Aug 5, 2009,
No, get a Squier HSS strat over the epiphone, it is very versatile, a nice amp, and it is perfect for beginners. Also a HSS strat the strat has 2 single coils and a humbucker like this.

Quote by ZeroCS
Squier Strat: Lower Quality compared to other strats, probably sounds boring, fret buzz like hell, etc.
Epi SG: Pretty good for it's range, as are most Epiphones. Worth the extra 130 whatever type of currency.

You got a bad one then, most epiphone's come worse off like horrible cut nuts, horrible fret work, snapped headstocks, pickup switches that break after a month, and muddy pickups. IMO a squier strat would be better quality, cheaper, and more versatile for beginners.
Quote by ZeroCS

Oooh check this one out, Epiphone SG, is that the same as the Epi in the shop (ha not that you'd know, but is the SG Special different?)

The cheaper price and accessories confuse me
Quote by EmmetF
Oooh check this one out, Epiphone SG, is that the same as the Epi in the shop (ha not that you'd know, but is the SG Special different?)

The cheaper price and accessories confuse me

They are relly different, for the love of god don't get that. Get a squier HSS standard strat, and a peavey vypyr, vox valvetronix, or roland cube amp.
Actually if anyone sees anything on that website that you'd recommend in my price range then let me know, that shop is quite close to my college, and they probably deliver to my house for cheap enough.

www.waltons.ie

I think this is the one I saw in the shop across the road Epiphone SG
Last edited by EmmetF at Aug 5, 2009,
Starter pack = no good ripoff in most cases.

SG Specials blow as well. Lower quality sound, pickups are dull, all around eh guitar. The SG I'm referring to is the G-400, which is a lot better.

I'm just not much of a Strat guy so maybe my opinion is biased. Probably why other people seem to like the Squier a lot. You think you'll be able to try and see which guitar suits you better?
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7

Quote by ZeroCS
Starter pack = no good ripoff in most cases.

SG Specials blow as well. Lower quality sound, pickups are dull, all around eh guitar. The SG I'm referring to is the G-400, which is a lot better.

I'm just not much of a Strat guy so maybe my opinion is biased. Probably why other people seem to like the Squier a lot. You think you'll be able to try and see which guitar suits you better?

I'm not 100% sure that the SG is a G-400, but it looks like one, I only took at quick look at it, and I'm guessing it is because it's the same price range.

I won't be able to try out the Squier Strat as it's on ebay, but it says it's in mint condition so I think I'll have to go with all of your opinions on what would be a better choice for me.
Quote by darkcheef

What are the differences between the Fender Vintage Modified Strat HSS and the Squier Standard Strat? I'm not sure if that website delivers to Ireland, and I couldn't find one at Waltons.ie - EDIT - They do, it'd be €300 incl postage.

What does the HSS mean anyway? (Apologies if that's a stupid question) - It's ok, I looked it up.
just play whatever guitars are in your price range which you like and sound check them brands don't mean **** a good guitar is a good guitar
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Quote by Lurcher

I just saw you are talking in Euro which opens up the option of Vintage brand. They make nice Les Pauls which sell for a tad over 200 and SG's for a bit under 200. I think they also have a big range of Strat types and all are better value than 'cheap' Gibsons or Fenders.

Something like this maybe? Vintage V-100 Icon

I do like the Vintage Strat too, if it's a better guitar than the one on ebay I think I'd take this one over it.

So there's the Epiphone SG G-400, Fender Vintage Modified Strat HSS (or Squier Standard Strat), or the Vintage V-100 Icon (above). Kinda narrowed it down to those three.

Oh and what would be an ok amp? Something like this or something smaller ? I'm not too sure how much I should spend on an amp, and bear in mind I'll just be playing in my house, probably a semi-detached one at that and won't b cranking up the volume as loud as it'll go, I just need something that will sound good, it doesn't need to be particularly loud.
Quote by IPlaySchecter
Its really too bad you cant get ahold of a nice used MIM strat. That would be perfect.

Like this? It works out at around €300 incl postage. Looks very nice, would this be better than something new? I really don't mind buying a used guitar.
Alright, the guy is confused to death so let's cut the personal preferences as their ours not his. www.richardsguitars.co.uk and browse anything on there. He goes from 150 euro Strats to 2500 euro Stonebridge and beyond. Talk to Richard as he's a maniac guitar man who insists on giving a full setup to every guitar he sells and delivers to Ireland for 15 quid. Although you won't see the Vintage range there, he does stock them and will quote you a fair price. Forget Dolphin as they won't take CC from Ireland and paying by bank transfer is both a pain and is not insured like a CC deal. They are a box shifter and you'll have to fork out another 50 euro to get a proper setup.
Just like Yesterday

Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Yamaha Pacifica.

/thread.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by EmmetF
Like this? It works out at around €300 incl postage. Looks very nice, would this be better than something new? I really don't mind buying a used guitar.

You get more bang for the buck usually when you buy used. Just make sure the guitar dont have any hidden problems.
If you have a guitar shop nearby, just go there and try some low-budget guitars out.
It's highly likely you find a beginner's guitar there you feel comfortable with.

Going to a shop also has the added bonus of haggling down the price a bit.

As for amps,[opinion] anything over 30 watts is overkill for a beginner. [/opinion]
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Cort, are very good value for money, I would always recommend them. Also, ampwise, Roland Cube? Orange Crush?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by TimBFMV
Also, ampwise, Roland Cube? Orange Crush?

This. Micro Cube - portable, easy to use and it screams. Crush 10-15 - awsome tone, great reliability and again, ease of use. Look into it.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\