I find that when I recording screaming vocals, my voice always sounds really weird and weak in the mix. for instance in my track "Devil's Notebook" I find the voice superweak, but when I sing live it doesn't sound that way. is it the mixing, recordings, or am I just shouting to weak?

does it need more compression, reverb, basically: how do I record and mix scream/shout vocals better?
Layer and double take your vocals, 3 harmonies, have a talking background one if needed
add quiet a far bit of delay to bring in a more bigger feel, the
2 points of delay a short 6-7 mm delay and
a large delay distant (ECHO, ......... echo)
in studio put take your time to record individual verses make sure you have best possible recording don't rush it
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Layer and double take your vocals, 3 harmonies, have a talking background one if needed
add quiet a far bit of delay to bring in a more bigger feel, the
2 points of delay a short 6-7 mm delay and
a large delay distant (ECHO, ......... echo)

I don't think that'd really help. If anything it would just make them louder. Which we don't neccissarily want. I think the big problem is them actually fitting in the mix. Play with EQ I guess, thats all I can tell you.

EDIT: But I think they sound alright, now that I'm listening again. I would just turn up their volume. No need to double them up, in my opinion.
Last edited by Thomasoman at Aug 5, 2009,
Hey, I don't mean to take over this thread, but I'm going to .

I have kinda the same problem just the opposite. My screams sound like howls, and are just overwhelming. Does anyone know how I could fix that problem? I'm using Audacity to record.
Make sure you're not peaking the input when you record. *points at the "Sugar" cover backup vox ;P*

I almost always double track, unless an entire verse/chorus is screaming. EQ appropriately to get more "bite" out of it.
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.