Page 1 of 4
Seriously?

I mean there are heaps and heaps of youtube guitarist/bassist that haven't even reach puberty that are all technical from hard work but when you walk into a highschool...theres about 5-10 people who actually make music around my city. I've visited various schools in my city for various things from sports to theatre and none of them flaunt their music department at you.

In my school, there are 6 musicians including myself. What do you Pit dwellers think is the cause?
.....guitar hero
Quote by gangsta_rick
HAHA TWO WORDS f*CKING LEGEND

Finally a sig which shows another member praising me.

My work here is done
Maybe their are actually hundreds of great musicians at your school but they don't want to be seen hanging around with the likes of you?
Quote by Kumanji
Fanboyism. Lack of dedication. Cultural stereotyping leading to a disapproving society. Fickle record labels.
Also this
Hmm..

Not in our school, but I go to a private school so that MAY have something...

All of the guys in my class play guitar/bass except a few, and one guy drums. He also sings really good.

There's a lot of guitar players, 2 drummers, and almost everyone sings (few are any good). My friend plays bass and we jam together all the time.

I'm a high school sophomore by the way. n
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Last edited by larrytheguitar at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by Nietsche
Maybe their are actually hundreds of great musicians at your school but they don't want to be seen hanging around with the likes of you?
Also this

While it might be viable at other schools I've 'judged' if I bring my acoustic to my school the majority of people say 'play metallica' or 'play [insert pop radio]' or some song that has no guitar just bass and drum track. There might be others hiding but I doubt the number is great.
Quite a bit of todays music... I mean you're not going to get inspiration from say Lady Gaga to go out and pick up a guitar and what not... if you see where I'm coming from.

Guitar hero... too

I myself am a musician
I AM A GIRL

Originally Posted by The Shroom420
I think the fact that you keep goats in the first place is weirder than the fact that that its named after your ex
Actually I used to think the same, then I discovered that a lot of people play instruments like the harp, cello, brass etc. Instrument that are considered "uncool" because most teenagers are twats, so those people don't like telling everyone they're musicians.
Quote by manhangi
While it might be viable at other schools I've 'judged' if I bring my acoustic to my school the majority of people say 'play metallica' or 'play [insert pop radio]' or some song that has no guitar just bass and drum track. There might be others hiding but I doubt the number is great.
That doesn't mean that they don't play instruments. Just that they have different musical taste to you
guitar hero, rock band, x factor, american idol...pick one
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
guitar hero, rock band, x factor, american idol...pick one

American Idol is the cause of the lack of younger musicians?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by Nietsche
That doesn't mean that they don't play instruments. Just that they have different musical taste to you

Well its' not the taste, its' saying to play metallica with an acoustic guitar? I'd think musicians would understand the clean/dirty/acoustic guitar the same way there is tenor, baritone, and alto sax. Now I kind of regret saying pop song, but asking to play a song with no guitar part to it kinda makes me cringe.

Mayeb I'm just an idiot from only making an observation on 3-4 schools, two of which are smaller private schools.
Quote by manhangi
Well its' not the taste, its' saying to play metallica with an acoustic guitar? I'd think musicians would understand the clean/dirty/acoustic guitar the same way there is tenor, baritone, and alto sax. Now I kind of regret saying pop song, but asking to play a song with no guitar part to it kinda makes me cringe.
You can play songs that weren't written for the guitar on the guitar

And seriously most of the people I know play something. Cello, Violin, Euphonium, Saxophone. They probably just aren't as bothered about advertising the fact
Niet, I do have a question.

Is music, at ANY point in time of the school curriculum, a class in which one is allowed or even required to take?

around here it isn't. =/

EDIT: also about the guitar on songs with no guitar, I'm not talking transcribing something with piano I'm talking about some dude walking up saying 'You know how to play [insert song I haven't heard of, which he puts on his Ipod and has bass keyboards and drum tracks]'
Last edited by manhangi at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by larrytheguitar
American Idol is the cause of the lack of younger musicians?

they promote a quick road to success through just singing, when instead you could learn an instrument and be your own backing band
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by manhangi

Is music, at ANY point in time of the school curriculum, a class in which one is allowed or even required to take?

around here it isn't. =/
It's cumpulsory up until year 10 (When you're 14/15) when you can choose to take it as an option

Or at least it was at my school
Quote by GreenDayChris
I live in a crappy small town and we have loads of musicians.

That's probably how people spend their time if they have nothing else to do.... which I suppose it good.... yes?
I AM A GIRL

Originally Posted by The Shroom420
I think the fact that you keep goats in the first place is weirder than the fact that that its named after your ex
Goddamn...(secretly wishes he could transfer and go back in time)

Everything I have done has been self-teaching or private instruction. in the end it needs the self motivation but a little nudging from schools to try and do different things never hurts.
Quote by Kumanji
Fanboyism. Lack of dedication. Cultural stereotyping leading to a disapproving society. Fickle record labels.

And this, of course.

Also loss of interest, with I guess would go with lack of dedication. Also sadly the guy who said, they want to be successful might be right. I say might because I'm pretty sure the only thought most people I know have given to their future is going to college and becoming a lawyer or a doctor like mom and dad said they would be.
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 5, 2009,
It seems as though everyone plays guitar now, drummers and bassists are like gold dust, because those that you can find who are any good are nearly always in bands already, its annoying doing drummer auditions because they might say "i'm not as good as your old drummer, but i'll give it a shot" and its like, dude, modesty is cool but it dosen't give me alot of hope in you.

But anyway, yeah there are alot of young guitarists but not much else.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
^^^

I think why bass isn't as popular is because its' less flashy to the aspiring musician. All the bassist I know were guitarist first. I really do like doing certain kinds of bass as opposed to guitar, but don't have the cash or time to learn the two seperate instruments properly.

Drums...I can't pick up on very well yet. My coordination isn't the best, and I can hardly get to play it.

Whatever happened to learning piano or a horn as a kid and playing with your parents?
OK, does the TS realise that there are f*cking thousands of High Schools around the world.
Add them all up, and you'll find the number of musicians actually in schools vastly outnumbers those who post stuff on YouTube.
The moral of the story, kids - real life is f*ck all like the internet.
^Exactly at my school there's only one drummer that's a decent person and a decent drummer. There's one other drummer who is decent, but he acts just like this guy

And the only other drummers at my school usually suck at drumming and being a good person. The only bassist I've found is a good friend of mine, who just started playing bass 2 months ago because his fingers were too big for guitar.

Edit - @Donender
I seem to live in the opposite situation of TS. A huge number of my mates play music (and most do a pretty good job of it). I guess its down to finding a local music scene and connecting with that.
Quote by manhangi
^^^

I think why bass isn't as popular is because its' less flashy to the aspiring musician. All the bassist I know were guitarist first. I really do like doing certain kinds of bass as opposed to guitar, but don't have the cash or time to learn the two seperate instruments properly.

Drums...I can't pick up on very well yet. My coordination isn't the best, and I can hardly get to play it.

Whatever happened to learning piano or a horn as a kid and playing with your parents?

I started out on bass because it was something different to guitar, plus i figured it would be easier than guitar (don't look down on me please), but then picked up guitar about 6 months later and learnt both together, took techniques from guitar to the bass and vice versa, now i play more guitar due to the fact that i lent my bass to a friend and it got broke, but i still give it a pop (no pun intended) from time to time.

Guitar is easy to pick up a simple song that sounds good, but with bass it takes a while to get used to the intricate techniques that make basslines stand out (slapping, popping, harmonics, chords, etc), so in a way it takes more dedication.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Aug 5, 2009,
^

Comment about bass and finger length.

Finger length shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with what you play, whether it be from bass to guitar to Ibanez instead of a Gibson. I mean I have a fatass neck Gibson with small ass hands, smaller than most womens' hands. Nothing is stopping me from playing chords and ****. Even on several basses I don't use my hands as an excuse for not being able to make a reach I should have made.
Quote by donender
I started out on bass because it was something different to guitar, plus i figured it would be easier than guitar (don't look down on me please), but then picked up guitar about 6 months later and learnt both together, took techniques from guitar to the bass and vice versa, now i play more guitar due to the fact that i lent my bass to a friend and it got broke, but i still give it a pop (no pun intended) from time to time.

Guitar is easy to pick up a simple song that sounds good, but with bass it takes a while to get used to the intricate techniques that make basslines stand out (slapping, popping, harmonics, chords, etc), so in a way it takes more dedication.

/does not look down

That would have been cool, but since I'm a bit of a tone junkie (I hate sounding just BAD and not being able to do anything about it) I can't just go out and buy a starter pack and see what happens without getting myself frustrated. In retrospect, I wish I took up both instruments and do eventually want to get a bass.

When I jam with friends and get 'stuck' with bass (since I don't play lead so well) I tend to have my fun with slap-pop rhythms and bringing in a lot of harmonizing as well. Its' just FUN. (But this is only because I listen to people who have crazy and distinctive bass. See: Flea and Les Claypool and many others)
Well, it like this: 6 in my class (including me) play/played guitar, 2 of them don't like playing anymore because they were pushed in their childhood.
Other people in my class play piano (a guy, just to impress girls and it doesn't work), 2 play violin (but can't play really well) and there's absolutely nobody who can play drums well (only a violin-guy who is playing the same **** drumbeat over every ****in song).

I don't know, but IMO it looks like many young people school can't enjoy making music after being pushed in their childhood. Also many are just too lazy to learn an instrument but think they would I also see that people don't consider playing instruments as "cool", but as annoying if others like playing for hours every day.
One more thing what really annoys me is that my music teacher wants the guitarists only to play chords all the time when the class plays songs. I mean, I suggested playing songs like "Smoke on the water" and he was like "can you play it with chords?".
That's what holds me back playing guitar for school events and the teacher is like "looks like some guitarists in this class only want to play for themselves".
For me riffs are just so much fun to play. I played chords once for a blues-thing in school on an electric, it was like playing the same boring **** over and over not being allowed to improvise even a bit, while another one was supposed to play solos on and acoustic (and wasn't able to improvise). I just wanted to drop the guitar and go away.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
my school sounds diffrent to everyone elses, in my class of 21 there is one bassist/guitarist (me) 1 drummer, a few pianists (sp?) a bagpipe player and everyone else sings
Quote by JimmyBanks6
this man is of knowledge

Woo someone said i was smart, how silly
Quote by manhangi
Seriously?

I mean there are heaps and heaps of youtube guitarist/bassist that haven't even reach puberty that are all technical from hard work but when you walk into a highschool...theres about 5-10 people who actually make music around my city. I've visited various schools in my city for various things from sports to theatre and none of them flaunt their music department at you.

In my school, there are 6 musicians including myself. What do you Pit dwellers think is the cause?
Maybe you need to move to a better city/school?

In my graduating class, there were 6 BANDS that played at dances, events, etc.
There were even more in the class that preceded us.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by manhangi

around here it isn't. =/

EDIT: also about the guitar on songs with no guitar, I'm not talking transcribing something with piano I'm talking about some dude walking up saying 'You know how to play [insert song I haven't heard of, which he puts on his Ipod and has bass keyboards and drum tracks]'

Not reading the whole thread so far, but I'll answer the question you asked Niet.

Over where I live (Savannah, Georgia) music is part of the curriculum if you go to Savannah Arts Academy. High school based around the arts. Music, Art, Drama, Writing.

Also about the guitar parts with no guitar, you transcribe the melody of the vocals. It's called using your ear. You can play the bass beats/rhythm and play the melody of the vocals. Even the pop songs have a melody, it's just carried by the vocals.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Maybe you need to move to a better city/school?

In my graduating class, there were 6 BANDS that played at dances, events, etc.
There were even more in the class that preceded us.

wow, i wish i could find one band, or start one, the biggest problem i have is people at my school are into the in thing, they all have hollister or "the new hot topic look" (the flourescent tight pants and matching shirts) and stuff along those lines. there are very few metal heads or metalcore/hardcore fans, and the ones that are either in to it like for the same reason i used to be, to try and be the cool outcast metalhead, or don't play an instrument at a medium level or at all. and then i was in the school jazz band last year but the drummers were either jerks, classically influenced (very skilled pianist), or hated new age metal and was more into classic rock. you must have went to one heck of a school.
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Maybe they just play as a hobby, and don't want to walk around bragging about how good they are. I play my guitar most days and I like what I play, but I don't want to make my own music and I don't want to record anything.
I don't even want to play to people, because I like listening to what I play and that's all that matters to me.
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Quote by manhangi
Seriously?

I live in Louisiana. Their are only about five guitarists at my school. Other than band there is nothing else about music really.
Quote by JesusCrisp
Well, it like this: 6 in my class (including me) play/played guitar, 2 of them don't like playing anymore because they were pushed in their childhood.
Other people in my class play piano (a guy, just to impress girls and it doesn't work), 2 play violin (but can't play really well) and there's absolutely nobody who can play drums well (only a violin-guy who is playing the same **** drumbeat over every ****in song).

I don't know, but IMO it looks like many young people school can't enjoy making music after being pushed in their childhood. Also many are just too lazy to learn an instrument but think they would I also see that people don't consider playing instruments as "cool", but as annoying if others like playing for hours every day.
One more thing what really annoys me is that my music teacher wants the guitarists only to play chords all the time when the class plays songs. I mean, I suggested playing songs like "Smoke on the water" and he was like "can you play it with chords?".
That's what holds me back playing guitar for school events and the teacher is like "looks like some guitarists in this class only want to play for themselves".
For me riffs are just so much fun to play. I played chords once for a blues-thing in school on an electric, it was like playing the same boring **** over and over not being allowed to improvise even a bit, while another one was supposed to play solos on and acoustic (and wasn't able to improvise). I just wanted to drop the guitar and go away.

This
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
There are plenty of musicians, just not many that really stand out or have any marketable quality. As harsh as it sounds, you've really got to be marketable in today's music industry. You've got to have more of a look than khaki shorts and sandals and a lame shirt, and that's where a LOT of musicians lose out.

It isn't 'gay' to have an image, but not having one will, sadly, limit you in 2009's music world.
Page 1 of 4