Ok, so i've got about £175 to spend on an amp and i've decided on this Amp. Great reviews and loads of effects + tubes = Good Amp i assume. So, is this the best Amp i can get for the money? and would it be big enough to gig with at really small venues?
Tubes? Its a SS amp dude

edit - there is a tube version in 60 w and 120 w, but im not sure if they make a 30 w tube vypyr

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Last edited by Tyler Durden at Aug 5, 2009,
No tubes, but IMO, yes it is.
It's loud as all hell, my 75 hasn't ever gone past 3-4.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
yeah its SS, and modelling i think
But I've heard good things from it, try it out if you really want to get it
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Lol, i thought it was tubes. Research fail. Still, i'll try it out. Any idea how good the effects on it are?
Quote by willT08
Lol, i thought it was tubes. Research fail. Still, i'll try it out. Any idea how good the effects on it are?

little better then the Line 6 Spyders - which doesnt really say much

what effects are you anticipating using most?

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
IMO, the effects are quite a bit better than the Spider, which really are pretty sucky.
Besides, the effects are more versatile. 2 parameters unlike one on the Spider.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I don't care for the tone of the amp either. you really need to go out and try some before you spend your money.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I have one, it is really lord, you would probably have to turn it to 6 to get into the mix live.
Quote by darkcheef
I have one, it is really lord, you would probably have to turn it to 6 to get into the mix live.

And that's less than half.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I'm still looking at the 75w but i want to try out the 60w tube version but i can't find it anywhere here in AUS

I haven't tried a 30w but the sound was great from the 75w

I tried a valveking but didn't really like it

maybe have a look at a roland cube 30w as well?
if you're looking for a convenient bedroom/practice amp, the 30w vypyr will do you fine, you don't need a higher wattage - if you're looking to jam and/or gig, save up and look elsewhere.
I have the 75 watt vypyr. I wish i woulld of just got the 30. I use it for a practice amp. And the volume is almost like there is no 1 or 2. You barely turn it up and its to loud for the house. As far as the effects go... Alot of them are completely useless. But alot of them are great and sound really good. You just have to play around with all of the settings for a while. Overall a good amp for the price, and they are great for what they are intended to do. I would reccomend the vypyr, Or a VOX VT. It just depends on how much high gain you want. I kind of wish i would of went with the VOX. Just because i really hate how touchy my vypyr is on low volume. Seriously, you barely touch the volume knob and it goes from being too quiet, to too loud, there is a fine line. And its not just my amp. I went around and tried other 75 watt vypyrs. They all do it. They are just not made to be played at very low volume i guess... But you are looking at a 30 right? Im sure they wont have that problem as bad.
Very cool practice amp. It will keep you interested for a long time.
Quote by danohat
Very cool practice amp. It will keep you interested for a long time.

That's the beauty of it. I just recently picked one up (30w) and barely scratched the surface of what I can do with it yet.

Even at 30 watts though, this sucker can get pretty loud. I use headphones when I use it most of the time. I picked it up as a "quick fix" practice amp.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by IPlaySchecter
I have the 75 watt vypyr. I wish i woulld of just got the 30. I use it for a practice amp. And the volume is almost like there is no 1 or 2. You barely turn it up and its to loud for the house. As far as the effects go... Alot of them are completely useless. But alot of them are great and sound really good. You just have to play around with all of the settings for a while. Overall a good amp for the price, and they are great for what they are intended to do. I would reccomend the vypyr, Or a VOX VT. It just depends on how much high gain you want. I kind of wish i would of went with the VOX. Just because i really hate how touchy my vypyr is on low volume. Seriously, you barely touch the volume knob and it goes from being too quiet, to too loud, there is a fine line. And its not just my amp. I went around and tried other 75 watt vypyrs. They all do it. They are just not made to be played at very low volume i guess... But you are looking at a 30 right? Im sure they wont have that problem as bad.

I have the 75 watt version and it's fine for bedroom levels. I turn the post gain down to 0 then turn it to the right until you finally get a noise through the amp. With the post gain turned to as low as it can go (the post gain is the same as a channel volume knob) I can turn the master volume up to 6 or so on the clean amp settings and 3 on the distorted amp settings and play it to where my roommate can't hear it from his room (and we share an adjacent wall). But this weekend I jammed with some buddies and turned the post gain full blast and the master volume up half way and it sounded great and absolutely brought the house down. Just be careful if you turn the post gain down to 1 and turn up the master volume because when you switch to another amp it will throw the post gain back up to full so you'll wake up everyone is your apartment building if you do that on accident in the middle of jamming, lol.

It's the best SS amp I've ever played (and Roland Cubes are great too, haven't tried out Vox yet) and I prefer it over the lower end tube amps I've tried. A great amp for the money.
Love my 30. Never been above "3" in my house. Only use 2-3 effects. Fuzz is cool to get some Fu Manchu vibe.
Schecter Jeff Loomis Sig. Hardtail... FRIDAY
B.C. Rich KKV Signature :: Kerry King EMG W/Boost
Schecter S-1 Elite :: SD Distortion Mayhem Set
Agile AL2500 Goth :: SD Hot Rod set
TTM Customshop USA Devastator :: Rusty nails W/shoelace
What's the tone of it like? I want a nice warm tone out of my Humbuckers, and my current amp can't get it. Then again its a Marshall MG CDR. Will this get me there. Also, whats the gain like?
Quote by willT08
What's the tone of it like? I want a nice warm tone out of my Humbuckers, and my current amp can't get it. Then again its a Marshall MG CDR. Will this get me there. Also, whats the gain like?

I can get about any tone i want out of mine. Very versatile. I could do with out the fancy lights and light shows, I like a more traditional amp. But for a good sounding versatile practice amp at that price point, a vypyr is hard to beat.
Quote by willT08

For my Vypyr 75W, it really stands out among other SS amps when playing with high gain, sounds absolutely amazing. It gives a nice clean tone too, and your not stuck with just a decent clean tone, between all of the amp settings (6 are made to be played clean and 6 with alot of gain) you can find nearly any tone you want. About half of the 12 amp settings weren't set up well for me right out of the box, but it was only because the preset settings weren't done the best in my opinion. After minor adjustments I got everything the way I like it. Yesterday I jammed with some friends and just to get an idea of how versatile it is we played through Metallica - Fade to Black, One, Enter Sandman, Kings of Leon - Use Somebody, Sex is on Fire, Beatles - Hey Jude (played the vocal melody on my guitar on a clean setting), and Clapton - Layla (a little mix between the studio and acoustic version that we messed around with) and it all sounded good. It was cranked up enough to play over the drummer (and we were at his house in the country so he didn't play quietly or anything). It still sounded great. My only thing is that my friends American Strat sounds alittle bit better (more full) than my Ibanez, but that's kind of to be expected.
Yeah, my Vypyr does have a touchy volume control, but that's OK. It's probably the most versatile amp I've ever used, period.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Sweet so i guess it's a great idea. Thanks a whole lot guys. Versatility sounds amazing.
I bought a 30W the other day.

All I can say to you is "Yes."

There are no tubes, but for a 30W amp, at the price its at, you just can't say no. It plays amazingly. You can play any genre with this amp.

To make a short story, even shorter: Pefect for the price.
RIGG:

Squier "20th Anniversary" Stratocaster
Yamaha FCX720SCA Acoustic
Yamaha Classical CM40
Peavey Vypyr 30 Amplifier