so i never normally use scales i just write a solo and be creative but i want to build my knowledge of the theory music up so ive been doing some soloing using the pentatonic scales. i just have one question when soloing in a scales, do you have to stick to that scale and not play any other notes, or is it more of a guide of where your playing your solo. because i don't really see the creativeness in just sticking to one scale.

your thoughts would be a lot of help, thanks.

any other scales for metal and rock would be great
i wouldn't change scales during the same solo, different scales for different solos in the same song could perhaps work.

Quote by DieGarbageMan
i wouldn't change scales during the same solo, different scales for different solos in the same song could perhaps work.

i dont mean so much to change scale more so just to move around bit and come back and forth with the scale
Quote by DieGarbageMan

beg to differ!
some scales like the harmonic minor sounds nice climbing and then decending into the Melodic minor

plus its good to add some nice out of scale notes to grab the listeners attention
Well I wouldn't go outta the scale, but I'd even ADVISE that you use it's modes.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Just use different positions and passing notes to open up new licks. Or alternatively try a scale with more notes in it .
Learn scales, but don't just play their notes, that's not what they're there for. Experiment. If it sounds good, it IS good. Nobody will shoot you for playing a note that isn't "in" the scales.
Just do what sounds good, duh.
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, people don't take you seriously." - John Petrucci.

Quote by maskimx
I am really really not proud of this but there was a chubby, African American kid in my preschool, and I called him "Blacky Fatso"