This might be better in the riffs and recordings section but oh well. My dad just got a mac after his Vista died after 2 years of use. Last night I saw an icon on the little bar along the bottom with a lovely ES-335, and I was delighted to find it was garage band. So I just have one question for you Pit, I was watching the tutorials for it and it said I could plug my guitar into the mac and I was wondering where I would plug it in, and what type of chord I use. Is there something that is like what plugs into a guitar on one end and a USB on the other or am I looking for something else. And don't worry, I'll ask my dad when he gets home tonight if there were any cords that came with the computer that he didn't know what he was supposed to do with.

tl;dr I don't know where to plug my guitar into the mac to record on Garage Band.
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by cornmancer
This might be better in the riffs and recordings section but oh well. My dad just got a mac after his Vista died after 2 years of use. Last night I saw an icon on the little bar along the bottom with a lovely ES-335, and I was delighted to find it was garage band. So I just have one question for you Pit, I was watching the tutorials for it and it said I could plug my guitar into the mac and I was wondering where I would plug it in, and what type of chord I use. Is there something that is like what plugs into a guitar on one end and a USB on the other or am I looking for something else. And don't worry, I'll ask my dad when he gets home tonight if there were any cords that came with the computer that he didn't know what he was supposed to do with.

yeah, you can use a line 6 POD, or a ToneZone, if you don't have, you can use the line in jack. there are tutorials online. but yeah, completely wrong forum.

*raises flameshield for TS*
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

look on the program??
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

i use sequel 2 (basically garageband for windows), and i just use a 1/4"-to-headphone adapter (radioshack) into the audio input (sometimes they label it with a microphone). if you want better quality of sound, guitar center has some interfaces that are USB (most of this will NOT have come with the computer).
Equipment:

Dean VX
Dean Avalanche 7
Squire SE Stratocaster
Vox AD50VT
Boss OD-20
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Quote by wilseyp
i use sequel 2 (basically garageband for windows), and i just use a 1/4"-to-headphone adapter (radioshack) into the audio input (sometimes they label it with a microphone).

This. It's the easiest, cheapest solution.

I actually bought a Monster cable which is essentially a 1/4' adaptor, quality isn't great but I can't get my interface working properly so... Best I got.

Enjoy the Mac and Garageband. They're fun.
Last edited by Don_Humpador at Aug 5, 2009,