Guys, so, I know most of you here write your own music for guitar and other instruments. What is your digital composing setup? How do you connect them? Which software and hardware do you use?

Me - I bought EastWest QLSO silver sounds library and looking forward to buy Sibelius or Cubase as a writing platform.
I use Sibelius and Guitar Pro for writing out music, use FL Studio occasionally, pretty weak tbh. I would love to get EWQLSO, so damn expensive though, and I don't know whether I'd be content with it, I think I'd also want Drumstorm 2 if I got SO.

Quick q: How hard is EWQLSO to use? Do you know if you can simply export files to midi from GP or Sibelius then play them using EWQLSO for sounds?
Last edited by Regression at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by Regression

Quick q: How hard is EWQLSO to use? Do you know if you can simply export files to midi from GP or Sibelius then play them using EWQLSO for sounds?

It works in a weird way, if you mean the standalone machine that comes with the library. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to open midi files through it. It detects the midi stream and adds the articulations and sounds. Best way to use it is as a plug-in.
depends entirely on what i want to do. alot of times if im just trying to get a clip of a song to remember i'll record the guitar part and note it "standard tuning / key C#min" so i'll remember what key the song is in (and maybe how i played it)

as for ALL my gear, i'd have to go home and look and prolly draw a signal flow chart
at home i have a pair of tape recorders and a microphone - i record one layer then record meself playing to that and so on. That is much more for just random mooching about though. I do all my recording at my bandmates house - his bedroom has been pretty much converted into a mini studio and he uses more bits of stuff than i can count/remember/list here. Probably helps that his dad is a music tech prof at the uni :p
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I use Finale for writing stuff. I don't have microphone though ( A decent one anyway). I'm looking to pick up a cheap SM57 off Ebay.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by YA89
Guys, so, I know most of you here write your own music for guitar and other instruments. What is your digital composing setup? How do you connect them? Which software and hardware do you use?

Me - I bought EastWest QLSO silver sounds library and looking forward to buy Sibelius or Cubase as a writing platform.
Man I got that east west library but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. I ended up just giving up on it. I just write all my compositions down by hand.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Garageband, Logic Studio is on its way!!!!!!!!, Ableton Live controlled by my Apc40..

Kaossilator ftw /thread
Quote by joshjhasarrived
Little does the government suspect that it's funds are being rapidly drained through funding infinite free cardboard boxes to bored teenagers on an internet forum.
Last edited by victoryaloy at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by frog_friend
Man I got that east west library but for the life of me I couldn't get it to work. I ended up just giving up on it. I just write all my compositions down by hand.

TBH it's been a month since I got it and still couldn't get a sound. I know it's my sound driver but I'm holding back till I get a good writing program. It has many problems. If you check the forum you'll see we're not the only ones. Well, first of all it didn't install as it should be. Had to copy the samples manually. A couple of weeks ago I downloaded a demo version of Sibelius and tried to setup to work with the samples referring to one of those youtube videos. But some of the files that must come with the installation are missing. Just gave up for awhile. But probably get into it again in two weeks after I get time.
I usually just record all my riffs/songs/ideas/random jams with audacity or reaper. I only notate things when I'm sharing my ideas with other guitarists, then I use powertab.
i use guitar pro and FLs to get a general idea of what my songs will sound like (i've been writting more classical influenced stuff as of late so FL studio actually comes in handy) if i want to get a recording i use Audacity with a logitech mic recording me playing (parents won't buy recording gear for me atm)
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
I use a Boss BR-1600CD for decent recording, and a Zoom H2 if I'm just playing around with ideas.

Of course I have my own mics too, a Shure SM57 and a Rode NT1-A. You can get a great sound, but it picks up all your mistakes.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by YA89
TBH it's been a month since I got it and still couldn't get a sound. I know it's my sound driver but I'm holding back till I get a good writing program. It has many problems. If you check the forum you'll see we're not the only ones. Well, first of all it didn't install as it should be. Had to copy the samples manually. A couple of weeks ago I downloaded a demo version of Sibelius and tried to setup to work with the samples referring to one of those youtube videos. But some of the files that must come with the installation are missing. Just gave up for awhile. But probably get into it again in two weeks after I get time.
I remember when I was having trouble I checked the forums and someone said that in order for it to work for them they had to reinstall windows vista and reconfigure it. My problem was that the interface would register that there was sound but I couldn't hear anything for some reason.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Quote by frog_friend
I remember when I was having trouble I checked the forums and someone said that in order for it to work for them they had to reinstall windows vista and reconfigure it. My problem was that the interface would register that there was sound but I couldn't hear anything for some reason.

The same problem with me. Did you check if your driver is supported, in their list? Actually, my driver is not in the list. I think that's the case with me. But I didn't bother to install another driver 'cos I needed to put some time to go through everything later. It shows the pulse and some CPU usage when I hit a note with my mouse, but doesn't give any sounds.
I can't remember if I did or not. I was getting so frustrated with it I just stopped bothering with it. It is really to bad to because I have a lot of respect for their products and would still love to use them in the future. It is just that me and computers just don't get a long. Trying to install and get software to work just isn't my thing. You mentioned that you are using sibelius, hows that working out for you? I use finale to save all my compositions when I am done with them. I write everything out by hand and when I feel like I am done and won't be making any more changes I put it all into finale.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
I just downloaded the demo of Sibelius and it works fine for me. But I was considering Cubase because of the excellent recording platform and mixing. But with the budget and the college use of scores I decided to go with Sibelius. If I had the money I would buy the both. Sibelius to write, Cubase to mix and add the samples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-cCJ7jFzCA&feature=related
I was going through these videos to setup EW to get to work with Sibelius but I couldn't find those XML files installed anywhere.
Have you tried asking around on their forums? They can be pretty helpful since a lot of the users are pretty knowledgeable and the staff posts there a lot.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
I'd probably call them, the next time I'm going to mess with it. I'd try that next weeks and tell you if I'm having any luck.