what's a good set of frequency-balanced pair of external-ear headphones?

I recently broke my pair and I need a new one for my ipod. I don't want a sound that has been significantly altered, preferably it stays as close to the original recording as possible, none of that bass-thump or boosted highs shit.

p.s. sorry if this thread has been made before. I searched and did not find anything specific to this.

p.p.s. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sennheiser brand, however they are hard to find in my country.

UPDATE:

I ended up buying a pair of Somic SH-902's. they kinda look like these: . It cost me $9 and is very neutral and balanced in terms of sound. (Yes I know there is a microphone in it, however I love it as an audio-listening device plus it can be used for mixing).

I have another problem now however, the mid-high frequency band (estimated by hearing) is a bit too pronounced. Nothing a little equalization can fix, however. However, the ipod I have does not have any custom equalization options, all there are are settings like "acoustic, piano, bass boost, etc...". Does anyone know of a way I can download a program which enables a custom equalization option on the ipod, in which I can edit the individual frequency bands?
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Last edited by Laces Out Danny at Aug 6, 2009,
I have a pair of Bose Triports, and they've never done me wrong. Although if you order a pair of sennheisers, you'll get the same quality for a bit less cash. If you've got the cash, get a pair of AKG's, they're damn expensive, but they're just the best.
Get a set of Sennheiser HD555s. Nao. You should be able to order most types of headphones off the net, so location shouldn't be too much of a problem.

OK, I can be a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy at times, but seriously they are good headphones. My HD555s haven't failed me yet, I couldn't really afford them but I don't regret buying them at all. They are a little quiet on the bass but that's nothing a simple EQ tune won't fix, once you do, well, they don't really do anything wrong at all.

However, if you can afford the higher end models, go for them. If you're only going to use them with the ipod, listen to them first, because there's no point in spending money on better headphones if the source isn't up to the job.
Whatever you do don't buy ear candy! my friend was looking at them one day and their frequency range was the same as a 10 or 5 euro pair of headphones.
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by mulletboy14
Depends, how much are you willing to spend?

preferably something mid-priced, although i'm willing to invest in a good pair. Not $1,000 though, bit ostentatious.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by Ice Master
Whatever you do don't buy ear candy! my friend was looking at them one day and their frequency range was the same as a 10 or 5 euro pair of headphones.

Isn't it called Skullcandy?

I think Ear Candy is a guitar speaker cabinet company.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
Last edited by zippidyduda at Aug 6, 2009,
I ended up buying a pair of Somic SH-902's. they kinda look like these: . It cost me $9 and is very neutral and balanced in terms of sound. (Yes I know there is a microphone in it, however I love it as an audio-listening device plus it can be used for mixing).

I have another problem now however, the mid-high frequency band (estimated by hearing) is a bit too pronounced. Nothing a little equalization can fix, however. However, the ipod I have does not have any custom equalization options, all there are are settings like "acoustic, piano, bass boost, etc...". Does anyone know of a way I can download a program which enables a custom equalization option on the ipod, in which I can edit the individual frequency bands?
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Last edited by Laces Out Danny at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by zippidyduda
Isn't it called Skullcandy?

I think Ear Candy is a guitar speaker cabinet company.

*Bows*

You sir are correct! my apologies.
Lepracauns Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote by Laces Out Danny
Does anyone know of a way I can download a program which enables a custom equalization option on the ipod, in which I can edit the individual frequency bands?

I don't know if iPod Linux has custom EQ bands, but you could check it out.

I've been wishing Apple would stop pandering to the dumb majority that wouldn't know good sound quality if it hit them in the arse (iPod earphones, anybody? ) since I bought my first iPod. They could at least give us a fully customisable EQ as well as the crappy presets. I for one would absolutely love this.

BTW, I find the loudness EQ setting to be the best. If you're having trouble with the mid-high frequencies being to high, try bass boost or treble cut.
Quote by JohnnoEH
I don't know if iPod Linux has custom EQ bands, but you could check it out.

I've been wishing Apple would stop pandering to the dumb majority that wouldn't know good sound quality if it hit them in the arse (iPod earphones, anybody? ) since I bought my first iPod. They could at least give us a fully customisable EQ as well as the crappy presets. I for one would absolutely love this.

BTW, I find the loudness EQ setting to be the best. If you're having trouble with the mid-high frequencies being to high, try bass boost or treble cut.

would Ipod Linux work on Vista?

I'll try it out...

None of the presets seem to hit the thing on the button, it doesn't sound right with any of the settings. They'res just this one spike that I want to get rid of, not a whole bunch. It's like an itch I can't reach

edit: i've found a way to access a customizable function on Itunes, then I renamed it after one of the standard presets (such as "Lounge"), and i'll see if I use the "lounge" setting on my Ipod if the customized setting I named as 'lounge' on my Itunes will work. Yer might want to try that.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Last edited by Laces Out Danny at Aug 7, 2009,