This pedal is pretty cheap so I was wondering if it is any good. If my amp is distorted, and i turn on this pedal, does it push it harder? Also I play Metallica a lot, so is there another pedal that is better than this one?
It does push the amp farther, however its not the greatest pedal. You could get somewhat of a Metallica Tone, theres always the Metal Muff which everyone on here seems to love.

EDIT: The Metal Muff is around $80 though
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Last edited by ~Shred Hero~ at Aug 5, 2009,
oh yeah plenty of better ones but your looking at more money.
im guessing you just started, so the DS-1 is a good choice. and really you can achieve metallica tone (the early stuff) with most pedals, its the amp that makes the difference
Don't waste your money on this pedal, it's terrible. I've tried it on several amps, and it sounds awful. The metal Muff is a great choice. Get that.
Its decent. I used to have one, and it wasnt too bad. There are better pedals, but there arent any better ones for around $50.
i bought the ds-1 distortion as my first pedal, i regret buying it. i liked it at first because i was a dumb kid that didnt know his tone sucked. look into something else, but dont look at boss for distortions
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Well tone is all opinion, but still, I have heard a lot of bad things about it. Steve Vai used a modded one that sounded pretty cool, but that one is around $130! (I believe its a Keeley mod).
I am a Stephenist
I still have my ds-1 . TS it's not bad for the price but it's not the greatest distortion. I plan on getting ym ds-1 keeley modded.
I think you lose some tone and dynamics with it. A modded one, or a Proco RAT would probably be better.
the ds-1 is a great pedal, if your using a small practice amp the ds-1 will give you the extra push and distortion you want. it can defiantly do metallica stuff, just dont use it when you upgrade to a nice tube amp. but honestly if you need a distortion pedal to drive a tube amp to where you want it, you should probably just buy another amp.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

I have the DS 1 and didnt really like until it was modified with a kit off e bay.
Quote by BOPAWholewheat
This pedal is pretty cheap so I was wondering if it is any good. If my amp is distorted, and i turn on this pedal, does it push it harder? Also I play Metallica a lot, so is there another pedal that is better than this one?

Depends on your amp. Tube, if you have the volume up, yes. SS, no.

Some people like the tone of the DS-1. I personally find it too dry, but hey. It's up to you. I'd go with the CM-1 suggestion. Dano's Cool Cat pedals are pretty good.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--