I'm going to be getting a tube amp in the coming months, and since I haven't owned one before, I had a question.

Look at, for instance, the Valveking. 12AX7 tubes for the preamp and 6L6GC for the power. Do those exact tubes have to be used with that amp, or are there other preamp and power tubes that would be compatible with it that would give me a different sound?
Quote by snipelfritz
I never thought I'd say this, but Bloody Piss sounds damn good.

The Iced Earth Thread
Quote by stykerwolf
I think you can use EL34's with the VK, but you would have to bias them (Not 100% sure about this though)

It's possible, but would sound pretty bad.

You can change the power tubes in the VK to KT66es without biasing. Preamp tubes don't need to be biased and thus can be changed to pretty much anything...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
So then the answer would be that yes, different tubes can be used with a tube amp, but in some cases, something would have to be done to get it to function properly? If that's the case, it almost sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth; but then again, I used the Valveking as an example, and from what I understand, it's a relatively cheap tube amp. Maybe it's different for higher end tube amps?

EDIT: I saw the second post after I wrote this. What is biasing, anyhow?
Quote by snipelfritz
I never thought I'd say this, but Bloody Piss sounds damn good.

The Iced Earth Thread
Last edited by Axis Of Evil at Aug 5, 2009,
Sometimes a tube swap, the trouble of biasing and whatnot is worth it. Really depends what you're going for I guess.
Why not spend extra on an amp that's gonna make the sound you want it to? Saves hassle and cash when you change tubes and inevitably pay for a tech to bias it for you.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?