Could someone clear this up for me? I do not know how to read tabs that list lyrics with chords. I can understand that the chord is played, but when and how many beats?

e.g. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bob_marley/three_little_birds_crd.htm

in the 2nd line, is the D chord played at the beginning of the word "Cause'" or when they say "every". then does at the last A chord, is it played in the middle of the word Alright then 4 beats?

D                              A
Cause' every little thing, gonna be alright

thanks for the help
Last edited by iampeter at Aug 5, 2009,
I find its easier to listen to the song and decipher the rythem.

The "tab" is just there to show you the chords to play
Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Laney VC30
Boss DS-2
On the beginning of "every" and in the middle of "alright".
And you have to get the rhythm and number of beats by yourself.

Also, you should try to figure out yourself by listening the song when does the transition between chords happen. It will come pretty natural after some practice...
Quote by -Rodion-
On the beginning of "every" and in the middle of "alright".
And you have to get the rhythm and number of beats by yourself.

pretty much this +1

listen to the song carefully.
^ They're right. Try to listen to the song, shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Also, if that doesn't work out, try to give it a little of your own touch, you don't have to play everything you want to learn 100% like it is on the record. Unless you do want to, in that case, listen to the record :p
Play the music, not the instrument.
thank you for the replies. When I hear a cover of the songs with just the chords I can make out the beats(duh) but say if the song was the full arrangement(with all the instruments, etc) I have no idea still.

ill keep trying though thank you all