Page 1 of 4
Post Your Favourite Solo That Has Meaning

Because TBH Im Sick and Tired Of All The Jam Packed Solos Where People Worry More About How Many Notes Are In It Than Wether It Sounds Good. I Mean Id Respect a 30 Second Solo With a Decent Melody And 10 Notes, Than A 30 Second Solo With 510 Notes. :| Im Not Denying These Guitarists Have Skill, But They Could Probably Be Acknowledged More If They Werent Always Banging out Notes At 389 BPM

Thats My Bit Over Sorry If I Offended Anyone, but Im Sure Some Will Know What I Mean

Anyways My Favourite Solo At The Moment Is

When The Sun Kisses The Morning - Prayer For Cleansing

Amazing How Something So Simple In Such A Brutal Song Could Sound So Gentle And Soulful

How Bout You, Pit
In This River - Black Label Society
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Aug 5, 2009,
Advice: Unlock your caps

Also I prefer whole band unison sections to guitar solo's
Last edited by Nietsche at Aug 5, 2009,
Even though I think you've got a pretty dumb argument, I'm gonna go with the first solo in Beyond the Realms of Death by Judas Priest, UNREAL
Europa (Earth's Cry, Heaven's Smile) - Santana

Tornado of Souls - Megadeth

Painkillers - Judas Priest

The last two are fast, but it isn't just mindless shredding. Also, I like Necrophagist solos because they are fast but still have melody and "feeling."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Another Day, Dream Theater. And just cause something's fast doesn't mean it doesn't have feeling...so stop with that. People who can't play fast say that.
You Don't Know What Love Is solo by The White Stripes. SO TASTY
Gretsch G1169SP
Vox Cambridge '30 Reverb
BOSS EQ
Danelectro Octave Up/Distortion
Danelectro Octave Down
Crybaby Wah
Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Quote by ToughGuy123
Another Day, Dream Theater. And just cause something's fast doesn't mean it doesn't have feeling...so stop with that. People who can't play fast say that.

As Billy Sheehan said, those who can't or don't play a lot of notes shouldn't frown on those that do, and vice versa.

Slower solos =/= "more" emotion (which is a load of bollocks anyways, all music has an emotion behind it, no matter what speed it is. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it isn't there)
The point you make is beyond cliché. Slow epic bends=/= meaningful.

EDIT: ^^^ God dammit you

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

Yeah i understand but alot of the time its done in excess, and just gets annoying after a while i mean i know some solos that are sweeping but sound amazing, i mean on alot of metal-ish songs, they play fast but it doesnt even sound good

Note: No more caps
Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd. It's just so good. That or Time by Floyd. Most of Gilmour's solos sound really meaningful, IMO.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
Quote by ultrasonic
Yeah i understand but alot of the time its done in excess, and just gets annoying after a while i mean i know some solos that are sweeping but sound amazing, i mean on alot of metal-ish songs, they play fast but it doesnt even sound good

By that note, a lot of the time the slow, make funny faces, throw in as many bends and vibrato into a solo in an attempt to sound more "emotional" is done in excess.
"Knocking On Heaven's Door" - Guns N' Roses
"Stairway To Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
"Voodoo Chile" - Jimi Hendrix
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
Quote by Deliriumbassist
By that note, a lot of the time the slow, make funny faces, throw in as many bends and vibrato into a solo in an attempt to sound more "emotional" is done in excess.

YES
Quote by Deliriumbassist
As Billy Sheehan said, those who can't or don't play a lot of notes shouldn't frown on those that do, and vice versa.

Slower solos =/= "more" emotion (which is a load of bollocks anyways, all music has an emotion behind it, no matter what speed it is. Just because you don't get it doesn't mean it isn't there)

this.
ts, what you said is typically said by someone who lacks skill and cant play fast solos well. i agree that there are just mindless fast shredding solos, but there are mindless slow ones aswell.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Sweet Child O' Mine or November Rain, its not original but that's for a good reason... they're incredible guitar solos which won't be matched very often for emotion

Those or Can't Stop... Frusciante really feels that solo, it gets me everytime
Quote by ultrasonic

they might sound bad to you, but the same solo sounds good to someone. that is called taste in music, not lack of emotion.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by thisdude
this.
ts, what you said is typically said by someone who lacks skill and cant play fast solos well. i agree that there are just mindless fast shredding solos, but there are mindless slow ones aswell.

True, but at the moment i garuntee that if you go on youtube, and type in solo, it will come up with more results of people sweeping and tapping mindless, than a clean, slow, melodic solo, and thats what i respect about it so much. Because on sweeping or shredding, people are just playing any notes, but on slower solo's, it matters on what you play, as i said before i respect people who have the ability to play fast, i just find slower solo's more admirable, because the notes have to be grouped in such a way that it sounds decent.
Quote by ultrasonic
True, but at the moment i garuntee that if you go on youtube, and type in solo, it will come up with more results of people sweeping and tapping mindless, than a clean, slow, melodic solo, and thats what i respect about it so much. Because on sweeping or shredding, people are just playing any notes, but on slower solo's, it matters on what you play, as i said before i respect people who have the ability to play fast, i just find slower solo's more admirable, because the notes have to be grouped in such a way that it sounds decent.
I can't really think of many solos where it's just shredding the whole time. Usually it's a mix.
Quote by ultrasonic

i would leave it like this.

and as said, speed or what techniques you use dont single- handedly make a piece of music emotional or not.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by angusfan16
In This River - Black Label Society

its not meaningful, just another one who makes money on dimes name.

Duncan Hills Coffe Jingle-Dethklok

Hey, I like coffee.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker
its not meaningful, just another one who makes money on dimes name.

You do realize that Zakk and Dime looked to each other as brothers. Zakk wrote that for dimebag as a tribute to his memory, which means it has to be meaningful. It wasn't just some bullshit so zakk could make a extra couple bucks.
Sail upon the open skies
farewell ballad -BLS
™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™™
Quote by Pud
Slap him as flamboyantly as possible, preferably in front of a large crowd. That'll show him who's in charge.

Selkies?
Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
Little Wing - Hendrix man.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by Born_to_shred
Selkies?

One of my favourites as well, if you like between the buried and me, check out prayer for cleansing, it has paul wagoner (my favourite guitarist) and tommy in it also has will goodyear who was drummer on btbam's s/t album
The Best of Times - Dream Theater, proof of a technical yet emotional solo.
So just SHUT your face, and take a seat,
'Cause after all you're just talking MEAT...

Last.fm

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Page 1 of 4