Page 1 of 2
So I got my new Marshall MG50DFX yesterday, and of course I stuck into it for a couple of hours straight, loving the crisp sound, then all of a sudden it sounded like garbage. I ****ed around with the knobs, tried both my cords, even got my buddy to come over and try his guitar- same thing, so I've isolated it as being something within the amp. I left it turned off for a while then tried it again before I went to bed, it was fine. Tried it again this morning, fine. Started playing again for a while just now, fine for a while, however long I was playing 15-20 mins or so, then that awful sound came back. In the middle of trying to play something it just went to hell, and both channels sound terrible, the clean channel sounds like a really ****ty distortion, with some sort of echoing sound.
I tried calling the dealer, no answer, I think they are in the process of moving to their new location, and not to mention its back in the city almost 3 hours away, so I cant just saunter on in. Needless to say I'll be in contact with them sooner or later but until then- any suggestions? Any help appreciated.
Take it back and get a peavey valveking?
^^(Or other words to this effect) I assume what your hearing is actually a problem with the amp, not just the tone Mg's are known for...But I wont bash the MG. However I guarantee Many people will give the same advice as I have.
Last edited by ProgFolk12 at Aug 5, 2009,
Its an MG they do have some electric reliability issues. They usually dont develop problems until the day after the warranty runs out. It would be a good time to return it and get a more reliable amp. Your not gonna find much love on UG for MGs.

Unless its an MG42 then Im all ears.
Quote by codo27
So I got my new Marshall MG50DFX yesterday, and of course I stuck into it for a couple of hours straight, loving the crisp sound, then all of a sudden it sounded like garbage. I ****ed around with the knobs, tried both my cords, even got my buddy to come over and try his guitar- same thing, so I've isolated it as being something within the amp. I left it turned off for a while then tried it again before I went to bed, it was fine. Tried it again this morning, fine. Started playing again for a while just now, fine for a while, however long I was playing 15-20 mins or so, then that awful sound came back. In the middle of trying to play something it just went to hell, and both channels sound terrible, the clean channel sounds like a really ****ty distortion, with some sort of echoing sound.
I tried calling the dealer, no answer, I think they are in the process of moving to their new location, and not to mention its back in the city almost 3 hours away, so I cant just saunter on in. Needless to say I'll be in contact with them sooner or later but until then- any suggestions? Any help appreciated.

There's your problem.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Its an MG...thats whats wrong with it
Quote by dm1925
texas ftw!
we're saving the world, one zombie at a time

Quote by ThePastRecedes
Yo Bob Dylan, I'm really happy for you an I'm gonna let you finish, but Jimi Hendrix had one of the best versions of All Along the Watchtower of all time!
So does anyone have anything to say besides repeating what the first guy said in a more prickish way?
The problem is it's giving you payback for purchasing such a horrible amp instead of something much better for that price. Take it back and get a Peavy Valveking, I've never played one but I've heard much love for it so I'm going with popular opinion.
Check the wires that connect the speakers to the amp in the back. Sometimes they rattle loose and this can cause bad sound, but generally that will cause it to just cut in and out so I doubt that's it. If that's not it, then return it and get an amp worth 1/4 of its cost. (Not the MG)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Take it back to the shop and get a new one, either the same if you like it or another, 'better' one.
I seriously recommend you try out others if you haven't already.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
I tried different amps in the store, this one I liked best.
A friend suggested it might not be getting enough power, he had a similar problem with a PEAVEY amp plugged into a power bar with a lot of other stuff, like mine was, I had it in along side my ps3, stereo, tv, the list goes on, the bar is maxed out. I got it plugged in by itself now, seems fine for now, but it did before too, so see how long this lasts.
How the hell does this even happen? You've been a member here for almost a year, and then you buy an MG50. The amp malfunctions within a day and you have no way to get back to the store because it's 3 hours away.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
How the hell does this even happen? You've been a member here for almost a year, and then you buy an MG50. The amp malfunctions within a day and you have no way to get back to the store because it's 3 hours away.

That's because he spent a year carefully researching what amp to buy. Then after lots of recommendations for MGs, based on their excellent recreation of the signature Marshall tone and reputation for reliability, he chose the MG50DFX. So, knowing that he will both be satisfied with the tone, and also will never have problems with the amp, he was confident enough to buy it at a store where getting back to return it would be a major hassle.

Or maybe not. Who knows.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I respect your posting about a MG problem in this forum... You my friend have a big pair...personally I don't mind the MG... it just sucks that you got screwed
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Did your ears start working?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

Methinks this is the problem
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

Hilarious.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
i love how people tell others to go and listen for themselves, and then when they do and choose the unpopular one, they get this.

seriously, take it back to the store and get another one, 3 hours be damned. theres no sense in repairing what should be a brand new amp. they sold a busted amp, it should be on them to get you a new one.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

Dude, I was gonna say the same thing. That's all I thought after reading the OP
Quote by tubetime86
Hilarious.
Sorry
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Originally posted by TackleBerry
Unless its an MG42 then Im all ears.

If it is an MG 42,then that horrible noise your hearing is actually death reigning all over innocent human beings.Are you sure you went to a GUITAR shop?
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
If it is an MG 42,then that horrible noise your hearing is actually death reigning all over innocent human beings.Are you sure you went to a GUITAR shop?

i think he meant MG4.

I think also it is the old MG because the new version is called the MG50FX (they dropped the D to hide the digital from the FX unless of course the FX are actually analogue too). The new MGs sound so much better, although i can't comment on reliability.

i'm afraid what you've discovered are one of the many problems associated with the MG series.. i've heard of this problem many a time, along with many others. There's a reason everyone hates the MG series. in fact there's many reasons, it's not just that the sound has limited appeal.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by pickleweed
i love how people tell others to go and listen for themselves, and then when they do and choose the unpopular one, they get this.

seriously, take it back to the store and get another one, 3 hours be damned. theres no sense in repairing what should be a brand new amp. they sold a busted amp, it should be on them to get you a new one.

Yeh that's mainly because most people wouldn't know good tone if it hadoukened them in the face. The whole "go listen for yourself" advice is just lazy and stupid most of the time due to this but people say it anyway.

That's not to say most people wont ever know what good tone is or how to differentiate between tones, it just means that most still have to go out and experiment with high end amps aswell as affordable amps to get tonal experience. It's really the only way to do it, and everyone has to, no shortcuts.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by tubetime86
That's because he spent a year carefully researching what amp to buy. Then after lots of recommendations for MGs, based on their excellent recreation of the signature Marshall tone and reputation for reliability, he chose the MG50DFX. So, knowing that he will both be satisfied with the tone, and also will never have problems with the amp, he was confident enough to buy it at a store where getting back to return it would be a major hassle.

Or maybe not. Who knows.

I lol'd

TS - I've also heard that with these amps sometimes the insert jack comes loose and can cause intermittent failures. That is a pretty easy fix, but anything else will not worth fixing. If you thought the MG sounded the best at the store then go get a another one and hope it doesn't crap out on you.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I lol'd

TS - I've also heard that with these amps sometimes the insert jack comes loose and can cause intermittent failures. That is a pretty easy fix, but anything else will not worth fixing. If you thought the MG sounded the best at the store then go get a another one and hope it doesn't crap out on you.

All the connections like that are suspect. Mine used to cut in and out, and I finally realized it was just the speaker connections. A little tape and it was... well it worked again. I recommend opening it up as much as you are comfortable with and just tugging on wires...

Though if you do more than what you feel comfortable with it could be very bad, so take that phrase seriously. If you don't know what it is DON'T touch it.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Oh yah, I forgot we're talking about a new amp. Definitely take it back, and get irate about having to drive back, maybe you'll get a discount on something better. Also, you really should write a letter to Marshall, I can almost guarantee you will get a sweet T-shirt or maybe something cooler out of it. Just say "I love Marshall, MGs are the best amps out there right now, even Kerry King uses them. But mine broke after just a couple days, and it makes me wonder if Marshall isn't getting careless. Please alleviate my concerns." I send those all the time, free **** ensues.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS

+10000000000000

Peavey valveking... ftw
Peavey 6505+ Head
Mesa/Boogie Oversized Rectifier 4x12 Cab
Schecter Diamond Series 006
Ibanez SZR720 TGB
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Roland Micro Cube 10watt
okay...are your playing with the contour knob? because it does had have quite a big mid sweep. I know on my mesa if I crank the mids on the graphic EQ my ears are like damn...not bad....then if i sweep it down im like EW!

but if i leave it down my ears get use to it...it has to do with the EQ sweep man.

But if you all like let me take it back!!!

Then...i donno get a...vyper? lol ive heard good things about it, but i have never played one.

Actually no get the roland cube man
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Dont mind these people, you can dial in some usable tones on the MG, i play alot with the volume on my guitar to get the distortion to sound somewhat better.

Do you like the sound you get? Keep it and dont give a **** what these people think.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Quote by Zapher
Dont mind these people, you can dial in some usable tones on the MG, i play alot with the volume on my guitar to get the distortion to sound somewhat better.

Do you like the sound you get? Keep it and dont give a **** what these people think.

Fail. Read the OP before you start talking down to people. He doesn't like the sound he gets because its broken, jackass. Hence us all saying they suck. He bought it, a few days later it broke. So read next time and you won't look like such a wanker.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The MG series are known to not be that reliable, you should take it back and get a tube combo, I would go for a Blackstar HT-5 and an OD.
Quote by Rhoads_1096
The MG series are known to not be that reliable, you should take it back and get a tube combo, I would go for a Blackstar HT-5 and an OD.

Dont need an OD with the blackstar really but yeah HT-5 FTW
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
get it fixed by an amp guy. MG's suck, but I'm not going to bash it. People hate it here. Might as well have just said that it's solid state and then state the problem lol.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by tubetime86
Fail. Read the OP before you start talking down to people. He doesn't like the sound he gets because its broken, jackass. Hence us all saying they suck. He bought it, a few days later it broke. So read next time and you won't look like such a wanker.

*facepalm*

"and of course I stuck into it for a couple of hours straight, loving the crisp sound"

Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Last edited by Zapher at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by cornmancer
The problem is it's giving you payback for purchasing such a horrible amp instead of something much better for that price. Take it back and get a Peavy Valveking, I've never played one but I've heard much love for it so I'm going with popular opinion.

there's your problem. people on this board have two answers whenever someone has a problem with an MG.
1) get a new amp
2)MGs suck

get off the f*cking bandwagon and form your own goddamned opinion for once. Valvekings and Bugeras have reliability issues as well, but we have so many people blindly suggesting them that people are under the impression that they're awesome.

TL;DR: Give opinions on what you've actually played, stop with this bandwagon bullsh*t.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Page 1 of 2