first start to think that you might actually be quite good at playing the guitar? Or any instrument that is your first choice if you had to pick?

Not meaning to blow my own trumpet, but i had this moment about 20 minutes ago when i just noodled a solo over Get Shaky by the Ian Carey Project. Yes, the dance one thats on at clubs. I love it and i was listening to it and thought that its a pretty good beat and rhythm to use and that if i could put a solo or any sort over it it would sound rather epic.

To put it short, i did.

Just improvising, a couple of primitive scales and stuff, a few techniques like two handed tapping, legato, pinch harmonics, little bit of bar repetition, you get me... And well, i thought it sounded amazing considering it was coming from me!

I've been playing for about 5 years now and i've had a fair few people say i'm good, but its only really hit me personally that i might actually have something here.

So, i pose the question at the top of this post to YOU, dear reader of the forum!
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
About a month, I was able to "pick it up" relatively easy.

I also played bass before that, so I was like, wow I can stretch like 5 frets xD
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

lol i feel like a right slow starter now

I should have mentioned that everything i know i've taught myself... and i never really had any structure to my learning, so progress may have been a little slow...
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
First time I thought I was actually good was when I had only been playing for 3 years or so and I went with a new friend to his house to jam with him as he said he had been playing for 7 years. I thought, cool, maybe this guy can show me some new things.

Well, we plug in and tune up and I just blow this guy out of the water in every aspect of playing. Maybe he just sucked and didn't practice much...I don't know. But that was the first time.

First time I knew I was good was at a party after playing for about 8 years and i go into my buddies room and start dicking around on his guitar. Next thing I know the stereo in the house is turned down and everyone at the party is staring at me from behind while I am just wailing out to some BLS and COB.

Needless to say after that everyone suddenly wanted me to show them how to play guitar.
After about a month of playing, I started trying to do some Paul Gilbert-ish stuff. By 3 months I was doing ok...I thought. Then My dad and I were just jamming and I commenced to shredding and I don't think I've ever gotten that look from him one time since. That's when I knew that I was at least good enough to play a little bit of the fun stuff.
After I was better with 4 months of playing than most of my friends who have been playing over a year. I don't think it's good to compare myself to others, but yeah ...
Also some friends who play guitar said that I was doing very well for the short amount of time I was playing.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Never really. I'm not one to toot my own horn, but I was called the "prodigy" when I was in my first and second year. I jammed with guys with 5+ years experience and they all were relatively surprised with how I can keep up and sometimes play faster than them.

Everyone that sees me play guitar says I'm good. Friends, family, musicians. I know guys that play gigs, buy something from me on CL and wonder why the hell I'm not on stage doing my thing.

But whenever I meet a good blues player I realize how much I suck
Last edited by MetalHead916 at Aug 5, 2009,
I still feel I'm not good enough
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Quote by Waffleguy
Playing for 2 and a half year and still waiting for that moment...
But every beginner thinks he's good when he can play 3 and a half chords and some popular intro's after a month or so .

That's me.

The moment where I really thought myself as "good" at the guitar was when I learned how to play the solo for Symphony of Destruction. A good 4 months after I began playing.
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
a couple of weeks in when i got moved up a guiar group, although now my learning has slowed
I've been playing 6 years, I've been told that I'm good, but that was by people who only listen to Green Day. Not that I have anything against them, I just don't think it's a good standard to judge guitar proficiency against.

I will consider myself "pretty good" once I can play all my favourite Ozzy songs (including solos)
I think, when I wen't to my friend's house(who had an Epiphone SG), and we started jamming to some SRV(he had some backtracks on his keyboard). I kinda blew him outta the water with my Squire strat plugged into his Marshall MG halfstack(he still has it). Ever since the only coffee shop with open mic night closed, he doesn't talk to me at all. He always used to want to jam with me, but I was playin' delta stuff, and there isn't much room in that style for jamming

I think I woke him up, because he was one of those metal people who think theyre poo doesn't stink. Not all metal players I've met are like that tho.
Whenever I start to think I'm good I listen to an SRV live disc and realize wow I suck then I realize he is singing too and is in front of several thousand people and I feel even worse
Last edited by Rhoads_1096 at Aug 5, 2009,
A week ago, at the end of jazz summer school, when my friends and colleagues praised my improvs and overall performance. Now I feel like I really have something in hands.

But I'm sure that feeling will somehow go away in a few months and my musical frustration will recommence.
When I went to band practice as the "new guy" they were trying out and made all the other members stop talking and start staring at me as I played. That was fun.

Of course, then I went to a guitar workshop with Guthrie Govan and Matthias Eklundh and realized that I actually, in fact, suck.
Quote by -Blue-

Of course, then I went to a guitar workshop with Guthrie Govan and Matthias Eklundh and realized that I actually, in fact, suck.

Nah, don't think that

My teacher at said summer school was the guy who is arguaby the best jazz guitarist in my country (check him out), and he sometimes jammed with another student. For instance, he can fluently scat sing while improvising on the guitar, this means, playing lines on the guitar and singing them simultaneously, without fail. Did I feel demotivated by that? Hell no! I felt like I was improving just from standing there and listening so closely to that.

Hang in there, man
I never have,or at least try not to.When I start carrying around the thought that I'm good in my head I get complacent and end up not practicing or writing for a while.If I constantly tell myself there's need for improvement I practice a lot more,and become more motivated.That's why I like to shock myself with some Petrucci or Rusty Cooley solos when I get too full of myself.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I never have,or at least try not to.When I start carrying around the thought that I'm good in my head I get complacent and end up not practicing or writing for a while.If I constantly tell myself there's need for improvement I practice a lot more,and become more motivated.That's why I like to shock myself with some Petrucci or Rusty Cooley solos when I get too full of myself.

That used to happen to me, but since this last "strike of confidence" I feel there are even for grounds for improvement, and that I just feel like I have enough potential to venture into them. So much that I'm practising much more often and for longer periods of time than I ever was before. Guess I'm lucky for thinking that way
I took a guitar class in school. I went into it thinking i would maybe be average compared to the other kids in the class. I plugged in and blew just about everyone out of the water. Turns out they were mostly beginners though.

And when i finally got the damn rhythm to pride and joy down.
Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
Quote by Whiskky
Nah, don't think that

My teacher at said summer school was the guy who is arguaby the best jazz guitarist in my country (check him out), and he sometimes jammed with another student. For instance, he can fluently scat sing while improvising on the guitar, this means, playing lines on the guitar and singing them simultaneously, without fail. Did I feel demotivated by that? Hell no! I felt like I was improving just from standing there and listening so closely to that.

Hang in there, man

Thanks That was partly a joke, although I did realize I have a long ways to go. It really did help me out though and it was very inspiring to hear what they had to say.

the music professor at my school says most people progress in something called a "five year program"

he pretty much said after 5 years, you know how good you really can be at an instrument
around a year and a half. I started learning stuff other than Green Day songs.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
When I suddenly, out of the blue manage to play something/or some technique I've been practicing for some time. But I'm always demotivated by my playing, and by my lead guitarist(whos a ****ing prodigy), but that keeps me motivated to improve on all my fauls, and so far it has helped me very much.
Of course, when I'm playing BLS, Pantera or whatever all that's on my mind is **** YEAH!
Gear:
2011 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
2012 Tanglewood TW170

Boss Katana 100w 1x112
Line 6 HD500