Soooo yeah, I am thinking about buying a new guitar. But the thing is: I like to play 80s and 90s alternative rock/grunge(Sonic Youth, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden. The Pixies, etc.) just as much as i like to play metal(Metallica, Slayer, Death, Korn, Cannibal Corpse) so i'm stuck as to which guitar to get. it's basically come down to three guitars:

1. Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster: i know some people think the new classic player jazzmasters and jaguars suck but personally i love em. So this is one choice i have, only thing is that it is not very good for anything except Alternative Rock, Indie Rock, and Shoegaze styles(and jazz obviously but im not gonna be playing much jazz. possibly also good for punk music).

2. Fender Classic Player Jaguar HH Special: The name might not be right, but anyone who's seen the new classic player series will know what i am talking about: it's a jaguar with humbuckers instead of single coils, a killswitch built in, and a coil tap system to make it work as a single coil also(this is a coil tap so obviously it won't sound EXACTLY like a single coil but it's pretty damn close) plus some of the other features associated with jaguars. For the price($900) this is a great deal, and it's a damn good guitar. unfortunately however, the scale length is pretty short compared to what I'm used to, so that's kind of a turn off.

3. An Ibanez S7320: A 7 string Ibanez S series guitar. Anyone who plays ibanez's know what these are: just a basic S series guitar, with most of the features of an Ibanez S. unfortunately, being an ibanez, it's really only good for metal and not much else. But still with 7 strings AND a ZR tremelo, it's pretty good.

Right now i am leaning towards the Classic Player Jaguar HH Special, just because i could get the heavyness of Early Nirvana, Soundgarden, or The Melvins, whilst also getting the softer tone of Sonic Youth(and of Fender Guitars in general) but that Ibanez is pretty sweet.

So any suggestions on which one i should get would be greattttt
Like you said the jaguar is not very good for the metal stuff and the ibanez is not really good for alternative stuff. So it's a hard decision. But with the jaguar you could also play some other stuff while the ibanez is only for metal.
Out of those three guitars you have mentioned, IMO I think the Ibanez would be best suited to your music style. However if you do intend on playing different variations of music, I would suggest a Fender Strat prefrably the one with the HSS pickup config. That way you can get your humbucker tone as well as single coil.
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
Quote by carmen barlow
Out of those three guitars you have mentioned, IMO I think the Ibanez would be best suited to your music style. However if you do intend on playing different variations of music, I would suggest a Fender Strat prefrably the one with the HSS pickup config. That way you can get your humbucker tone as well as single coil.

The Jaguar has humbuckers. I hear it is good for all genres including any form of metal that isn't death metal or black metal(id assume that also includes deathcore and all that stuff) but i've only played the regular classic player jag(which has single coils).

And i don't like strats that much.
Quote by Nirvana00125
The Jaguar has humbuckers. I hear it is good for all genres including any form of metal that isn't death metal or black metal(id assume that also includes deathcore and all that stuff) but i've only played the regular classic player jag(which has single coils).

And i don't like strats that much.

Ok thats cool then, I have never played a Jaguar so I don't really know, but if you heard its a good all rounder guitar, go for it
“Don't get so busy making a living that you forget to make a life.”

― Dolly Parton
What type of pups does the Ibanez have? Not all Ibanezes are metal only...
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Waffleguy
Like you said the jaguar is not very good for the metal stuff and the ibanez is not really good for alternative stuff. So it's a hard decision. But with the jaguar you could also play some other stuff while the ibanez is only for metal.

All Ibanez Guitars are for any kind of music.
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
Quote by Waffleguy
Hmmmm maybe but they are mainly metal guitars I never saw a (good) Grunge/alternative band with 7 string ibanez guitars

No they are mainly all-round guitars, you can play blues with an RG and you can play blues on an BC Rich.
The Player is the most importent part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Un9V_IkAHc&feature=channel_page
"Buckethead is probably twice as good a guitar player as me and Slash combined, and can stand having fried chicken rubbed up against his face all night for a couple of hours." - Dave Mustaine
While Steve Vai gets heavy occasionally, I would not exactly call him a Metal guy...

I'd look beyond "what guitar is what genre" and focus on what instrument has features that suit both your needs and preferences for a price you can afford.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
If you want an Ibby with a ZR, but versatility, Go for this. It's got the single coil, so it's more versatile then the 7320, though it isn't a seven string, Obviously...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by Richmanofaction
While Steve Vai gets heavy occasionally, I would not exactly call him a Metal guy...

I'd look beyond "what guitar is what genre" and focus on what instrument has features that suit both your needs and preferences for a price you can afford.

One of the smartest things I've seen on UG since coming back.

Ibanez aren't just "metal" guitars,they can pull off a wide variety of tones if you have simple knowledge of how an amp and guitar work.Saying Ibanez are only for metal is like saying strats can only do blues and classic rock....it's just silly.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by compin
No they are mainly all-round guitars, you can play blues with an RG and you can play blues on an BC Rich.
The Player is the most importent part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Un9V_IkAHc&feature=channel_page

Actually S Series guitars are made mainly for metal. Very few metal guitarists use them, they are used by more solo artists, but they are made with the intent of being a "Metal" guitar.
Quote by Pr0gNut
One of the smartest things I've seen on UG since coming back.

Ibanez aren't just "metal" guitars,they can pull off a wide variety of tones if you have simple knowledge of how an amp and guitar work.Saying Ibanez are only for metal is like saying strats can only do blues and classic rock....it's just silly.

True but Ibanez guitars are generally heavier sounding than Fenders. Plus the ibanez i am talking about has a lower pitched tone than the Jaguar. it truly sounds like it was made specifically for metal.
Quote by Nirvana00125
Actually S Series guitars are made mainly for metal. Very few metal guitarists use them, they are used by more solo artists, but they are made with the intent of being a "Metal" guitar.

No, one of the first Artist who used an S was Frank Gambale, the RG are more Metal.