I finally dumped my Flextone III XL and bought a cabinet. I am looking for a new tube head. I would prefer something lower wattage.

I have been thinking the Blackstar HT-5 is the way to go, but wanted to know if I am missing another option.

Anyone have any any other recomendations? I play everything from Clapton to Lamb of God, so it does need to be versital.

Thanks for any tips you may have,
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE
Fender Am Tele, Am Strat, 70 RI Strat, Esquire Scorpion
LTD: SC-607B

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Why get rid of the Flextone?

+1

the Flextone is a lot more versatile than the Blackstar.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^I wouldn't exactly say that, but it is a great amp. But so is the Blackstar.

How would you not say that? A modeler will always be more versatile than a non-modeler, especially considering the Flextone is actually a good modeler.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Stick with the Flextone until you can get a big tube amp + pedals
DO IT LIVE
The HT-5 could do LoG if you threw a pedal in front of it, but I don't see why you got rid of the Flextone if you wanted a flexible tone.

Clapton has a variety of tones, so you'll have to specify which one you want. Cream, Bluesbreakers, Derek and the Dominoes???
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
What I found with the Flextone is it would do most things fairly well, but nothing GREAT. I spent more time futzing with the settings and using L6 Edit software than actually playing guitar.

All I really want is a good clean tone, and one good overdrive sound. I've got a tube screamer if I need an extra boost.

I just want to simply things, and focus on what impacts tone the most of any other thing.... My hands.

:-)

I am just cursious if there are any other two channel tube amps I may not be considering.
- Anthony
PRS: PS P22, ME II 25th, SC HB I, Custom 22, McCarty 20th, SE Custom 24 7, Angulus SE

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^I would not suggest that Vox for metal under any circumstances.

and also the Blackheart.

Blackheart + Metal Muff = worst decision i made
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^^^That

The blackstar is a fine amp and all but it lacks a low end chug for metal due to its small size. Check out the clips of mine in my profile if you want to see a general overview of the range of tones you can get

whats your budget
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
My budget is around $500 ish... I don't really want a 100 or 120 watt head as 95% of my play is at bedroom levels.

For my Clapton tones I am using my Champion 600 into the 4x12. I run it as 2x12 since its a stereo cab. I can get a wide range with the high and low inputs.

I am not looking for the most versital amp in the world. If that is what I wanted yes, I'd go buy another Line 6 amp like a Vetta. But I a workable simple amp with good tone at low volume.
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
The HT-5 is exactly what you want, but keep in mind it doesn't get that loud.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
then for bedroom playing at that budget a blackstar and od pedal are a decent investment

other options
Krank Rev JR(or any of its variants). used maybe?
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
HT-5 sounds like it would work for you, but try other 5w tube amps though. Blackheart, egnator, epi valve jr, etc.
Thanks for the help guys. I am not worried about getting "enough" volume. With a 4x12 I should be fine. And if I ever need to run off and gig, I'll just go buy an identical head and run two of them in Stereo.

- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Quote by ANTHONYLBEST
Thanks for the help guys. I am not worried about getting "enough" volume. With a 4x12 I should be fine. And if I ever need to run off and gig, I'll just go buy an identical head and run two of them in Stereo.

Putting two 5w heads in stereo=\=10 watts. They don't add up like that. You'd still get drowned out onstage.
I believe what you say to be sure, but I wanted to check the "math" on this.

Propossed setup.

5w Blackheart 8ohm output into one side of a Line 6 412 so using only a 2x12. Now if I were to use the entire 412 (which i don't think I can as this amp has no 4ohm output) that would add 3db for doubling the speakers.

However shouldn't two heads, into two 8ohm inputs produce double the decibles that one into a 2x12?

If not what am I missing?
- Anthony

Amp
Avid 11R
Putting two 5 watt amps in stereo doesn't change how loud it is. People put amps in stereo to get different sounds/make cool sounds with delay pedals and such. You are still pushing 5 watts, just from 2 different areas.

Someone with a 15 watt amp would still drown you out. I'm not saying you can't put them in stereo, just do it for the right reasons.