Hi.

I was pondering connecting two amps together. I heard that Jimi Hendrix used to connect 4 marshall super leads together by running a cable between the inputs.

a) is this true???
b) how does it work???
c) can I do it???
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by dandadog
a/b/y?

I KNEW someone was going to say that.
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Most people in the 50's, 60's, up till the 70's would have to use multiple amps because there was no PA systems back then.
Quote by Debutante
I KNEW someone was going to say that.

That's because you weren't specific enough. Are you talking about reamping? We have a few reamping experts around here that can describe this pretty in depth. I'd like to hear a really good explanation as well, I only know the basics.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm sorry if I was a little inspecific.

Basically, I read somewhere that Jimi Hendrix connected his amps by connecting the input jack, like so:

Guitarjack > Marshall Input
The other Marshall Input > another marshall input

etc.
???
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
maybe he used an input jack that would allow two guitars to play in one amp and linked them together
No, no, no. It's nothing like that. No reamping, no A/B/Y. It's much simpler.

The inputs on those old Marshalls were connected internally in paralllel, meaning that on each of the two channels, each 'input' was also an 'output,' so the result is:
Cable into input 1, channel 1 = input to amp, parallel with input 2 channel 1
Cable from input 2, channel 1 = output from in 1 channel 1 (same signal as from the guitar)

You're using the input network as a really big Y cable. It's the same principal behind channel jumping; use a cable from input 2 to channel 2, and you've got one signal going into both channels on the amp. Hell, you could then run a cable from the second input on the second channel to the input on another amp and have jumped channels and multiple amps.
Quote by Debutante
I'm sorry if I was a little inspecific.

Basically, I read somewhere that Jimi Hendrix connected his amps by connecting the input jack, like so:

Guitarjack > Marshall Input
The other Marshall Input > another marshall input

etc.
???

That wouldn't work. Either he 'A/B/Y'ed them, by running his guitar cable into an A/B/Y box then two outs into two amps, or he re-amped them, by running out the speaker out of one amp into the input of another.

Although, as I type this I'm thinking... I jump channels on my Bassman by going out of the second channel 1 input into the channel 2 input. So obviously there is signal coming out of the input... I dunno, now I've confused myself.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Roc8995
No, no, no. It's nothing like that. No reamping, no A/B/Y. It's much simpler.

The inputs on those old Marshalls were connected internally in paralllel, meaning that on each of the two channels, each 'input' was also an 'output,' so the result is:
Cable into input 1, channel 1 = input to amp, parallel with input 2 channel 1
Cable from input 2, channel 1 = output from in 1 channel 1 (same signal as from the guitar)

You're using the input network as a really big Y cable. It's the same principal behind channel jumping; use a cable from input 2 to channel 2, and you've got one signal going into both channels on the amp. Hell, you could then run a cable from the second input on the second channel to the input on another amp and have jumped channels and multiple amps.

Wait, is this safe? So I can run my Bassman in stereo just by using the second input on the 'Normal' channel? I guess its no different from channel jumping...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
It's perfectly safe; it's an instrument-level split, not an output level. Problem is, the inputs on fender amps are out of phase so it probably won't sound good.

And no, you won't be running your bassman in stereo, just two channels. Big difference,
he's talking about Jimi Hendrix's daisy chaining setup. You can basically think of how players like to bridge their plexi channels, usually jumping the low gain input of the bright channel into the high gain input of the normal channel, basically cascading the bright channel into the normal channel and utilizing the full first gain stage (as opposed to only half).

Hendrix basically did this, but instead of doing it channel to channel, he did it amp to amp.

edit: Roc explained it pretty well

Quote by tubetime86
That wouldn't work. Either he 'A/B/Y'ed them, by running his guitar cable into an A/B/Y box then two outs into two amps, or he re-amped them, by running out the speaker out of one amp into the input of another.
It DOES work, it's the exact same concept as channel jumpering, which a lot of people do to get more gain out of their 4 input style Marshall amps. It worked on the old tweed Bassmans as well. You're basically taking an output from the first stage of the bright channel and feeding it through the first gain stage of the normal channel.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 5, 2009,
I'm really confused. So a VOX AC30 with the input link is the same idea? is it like channel jumping but not....

And would you need two inputs on each channel to channel jump, as the guitar takes up one input....?
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by al112987
he's talking about Jimi Hendrix's daisy chaining setup. You can basically think of how players like to bridge their plexi channels, usually jumping the low gain input of the bright channel into the high gain input of the normal channel, basically cascading the bright channel into the normal channel and utilizing the full first gain stage (as opposed to only half).

Hendrix basically did this, but instead of doing it channel to channel, he did it amp to amp.

So when I channel jump on the Bassman, I'm bringing the whole pre-amp gain stage into the circuit? I've been doing this, and turning the EQ and volume all the way up on the Bass channel just to get a little extra grind.

Quote by Roc8995
And no, you won't be running your bassman in stereo, just two channels. Big difference,

No, I meant stereo. I don't have an a/b/y so I've been using the dry/wet outs of my DD-3 with the shortest delay setting, and effect level and feedback at noon, to go stereo with my Valve Junior. So this would be an easier/better way?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by tubetime86
So when I channel jump on the Bassman, I'm bringing the whole pre-amp gain stage into the circuit? I've been doing this, and turning the EQ and volume all the way up on the Bass channel just to get a little extra grind.
The input setup is not the same on all amps, nor are channel setups the same on all amps. Roc pointed out that on most Fenders, and this is the case with just about all of them outside of older tweed amps, the inputs are out of phase with each other and you're going to get some signal cancellation due to this.
Quote by tubetime86
That wouldn't work.
It did.

Quote by tubetime86
Wait, is this safe? So I can run my Bassman in stereo just by using the second input on the 'Normal' channel? I guess its no different from channel jumping...
Safe, yeah.

Channel jumping doesn't really get you all that much.

Not all Fender amps have the channels out of phase.
Early Blackface Bassmans had the channels out of phase
Later Blackface and Silverface Bassmans were in phase.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Channel jumping does really get you all that much.

Did you mean to say doesn't? Because I haven't noticed more than a slightly sooner grind, but it is still VERY late on the dial.

So 'cascading' the Bassman sounds like a better way of going stereo? The delay thing ends up making the Valve Junior sound a little digital since it is technically the repeats I'm hearing not what I'm playing.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
No it doesn't get you any less headroom, but it gives you more gain capabilities. There is a difference.

And it's not the same as running a stereo setiup.
Quote by al112987
No it doesn't get you any less headroom, but it gives you more gain capabilities. There is a difference.

And it's not the same as running a stereo setiup.

Could you elaborate on both? I'm sorry I know enough about this stuff to cloud my understanding of what I don't know... If that makes sense.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Did you mean to say doesn't?
Doesn't is exactly what I meant to say.
Sorry for the confusion. Post edited.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Doesn't is exactly what I meant to say.
Sorry for the confusion. Post edited.

No problem, based on the sentence structure I assumed.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Tay-ron
||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||