my ap biology teacher showed the this during school and i never remembered to share it. heres the link. so what does the pit think about this? i couldnt find the original article my teacher showed me, it did a better job of explaining it IMO.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
I think if people showed a little more care in their sexual activity and the history of their partner, they wouldn't need to worry as much.

But I can only hope for any medical advancements to counter HIV.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
geneknockout is easier said than done treatment wise...
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
that happened in 2002, I guess a bigger deal would be made about it if it really was a potential solutions.
"Sunday, 14 July, 2002"

ya rite
enjoi yourself

Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Zeus's beard, I died of laughter
like i said, the one my bio teacher showed us was more recent and did a better job explaining it.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quote by thedefrockednun
that happened in 2002, I guess a bigger deal would be made about it if it really was a potential solutions.

Just because a medical idea was introduced a time ago and its applications havent been seems doesn't mean its still not a potential solution. Medical research takes years to go from the bench to the clinic/patient. Gene knockout is a very nice way of solving some problems
Quote by mexican_shred
geneknockout is easier said than done treatment wise...

Exactly. The main problem here? HIV is intracellular. It's difficult to detect, it's difficult to get to. HIV is a virus. Unfortunately, anrivirals inhibit specific stages of the virus life cycle. This is all well and good, but that means only HIV at a certain stage can be affected. If they can't find a way to introduce whatever anti-viral they make intracelullarly, then all HIV within cells will not be affected. Treatment finishes, but then cellular burst occurs, introducing HIV again. Unless the treatment is intracellular, then any treatment may well be a lifetime one.

The other big problem also comes from HIV being intracellular- it inhibits expression of markers on the cell membrane, making it difficult to hone in on infected cells if they do make an intracellular treatment.
Quote by Kevy Absolution
I think if people showed a little more care in their sexual activity and the history of their partner, they wouldn't need to worry as much.

But I can only hope for any medical advancements to counter HIV.

Next time i go out on a date i wanna know the last 5ppl she has slept whit,and if she used protection and has tested herself for any form of STD's.

If asked that i bet the date would be over pretty quick.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Exactly. The main problem here? HIV is intracellular. It's difficult to detect, it's difficult to get to. HIV is a virus. Unfortunately, anrivirals inhibit specific stages of the virus life cycle. This is all well and good, but that means only HIV at a certain stage can be affected. If they can't find a way to introduce whatever anti-viral they make intracelullarly, then all HIV within cells will not be affected. Treatment finishes, but then cellular burst occurs, introducing HIV again. Unless the treatment is intracellular, then any treatment may well be a lifetime one.

The other big problem also comes from HIV being intracellular- it inhibits expression of markers on the cell membrane, making it difficult to hone in on infected cells if they do make an intracellular treatment.

Like you said, the intracellular part is the main problem.

Just like Coxiella Burnelli(sp). it goes within the vacuole of the cell and survives at low pH's, resistant to everything except tetracycline. Geneknockout is one course of research they are trying to do for it. But application wise to patients its still a distant hope(but hey its something at least). The same applies to HIV.
I bring this up whenever anyone asks 'why aren't humans evolving'. This gene is becoming more expressed in certain parts of Africa which are hidden with AIDs where there are also short life expectancies and high infant mortality rates. It's a pretty awesome testament to evolution.