DONT USE THIS THREAD ANYMORE, FOR GENERAL DISCUSSION GO TO https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21165505#post21165505

would anyone be interested if one was set up?
its a fun genre with lots of scope for originality

i suppose it could be a collab. competition like the harcore/metalcore ones scattered around here, i'd be up for whatever.

so, enough people express an interest, we can sort teams out, judging, criteria, etc

who wants a go?
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
Last edited by Jake the Peg at Aug 12, 2009,
I might have a go at this... would be something different!
However, it is a MAYBE, because of my other commitments at the moment.
ok well i'll wait to see if more people express an interest, and then we can think about teams, judging and deadlines. i've never run a comp. before, so if anyone would like to help with that it'd be very much appreciated.
'If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.' Albert Einstein
yeah, I might be in. maybe this time my computer won't break down and I can actually get a song written

what exactly is "jazz fusion"?

and as far as running a comp, follow the example of ninja.kitty
make some basic guidelines for genre requirements and such.
create 3 threads. one for discussion (this one) another for submissions only and finally one for the judging.
that cleans everything up nicely.
make a list of participants in the first post of this thread and get 4 or more judges. set a start date (deadline for entries) and a deadline for submissions. then let everyone else do the rest
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Last edited by Its_Rock77 at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Its_Rock77
what exactly is "jazz fusion"?

It's a fusion of jazz and other styles. Rock, funk, and metal are the most common.

Some examples of bands are Cynic (jazz+death metal),
Atheist(their "Elements" album is fusion, jazz+death metal)
Gordian Knot (jazz+prog rock/metal),
Exivious (again, jazz+prog)
Return to Forever (jazz+rock+a little funk)
Guthrie Govan (jazz+prog)
Al DiMeola(jazz+latin/rock)
Weather Report (jazz+avant garde+some rock)
Yellow Jackets (jazz+some rock)

There are tons of other bands, those are just the ones off the top of my head, but you get the idea.
Yeah, Cynic and especially (for me) Gordian Knot are win. Al di Meola... beware, he has many classical/spanish guitar recordings, but you're going for his electric guitar stuff when it comes to jazz fusion ok? Also check out Tribal Tech, much closer to "pure jazz" than the ones listed, and generally great.
i'll give it till monday, and then we can start then.
do we want teams, or shall we compete singly?
who'll judge?
One question - how long will we get to write the compositions? And do they have to be instrumental, or can they have vocal melodies too?

Tbh, i would prefer it if I could write mine on my own... but maybe you could mix it up with single and teams
about 2 weeks to a month usually to write.

I vote singles.

and most comps allow vocal melodies if not strongly suggest using them if necessary.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
woah, teams would be good if we could discuss what we like to write.

I'm into The Bad Plus and Weather Report and such
(I normally don't listen to this, but I have a friend obsessed and I absorb a lot of it)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
i dont see whats wrong with vocal melodies... why not?
I'd prefer a singles competition... but that doesn't mean I'll be out if it's teams, just have to find a gooood teammate (winks @Rumpy... or Progbass92... or someone else xD)

And, most of the listed bands have vocals, so why not? I'll go instrumental though.
Quote by ankthebank
Do we have to record it, or can we hand it in midi or guitar pro?

It wouldn't be in this forum if it were a recording, you know. This is the Tabs & Chords forum.
Check out my band Disturbed
Quote by Its_Rock77
about 2 weeks to a month usually to write.

I vote singles.

and most comps allow vocal melodies if not strongly suggest using them if necessary.

I think these should be all instrumental, since that's what fusion is for the most part. It'll give a lot of the participants a challenge to write something that wouldn't have vocals.
10th august to sign up,
10th september to hand in by.
no vocals.
sound fair?

there are currently 8 people interested in competing (including myself)
if we get more than 10 by monday, we can split into twos, but otherwise, we keep single?
tbh i'd prefer teams, but i think im right in thinking most of you want it singles?
There should be vocals if the person wants them, they are just an instrument like anything else

You should really extend the time and change the first post and stuff
(see the post hardcore thread one)
Now say his name.....
change the deadline for entries, or the deadline for the finished pieces to be submitted?
why?

vocals really dont play a big part in jazz fusion, and a few people seemed not to want them allowed.
Yeah, I say leave vocals out because it'll hold a lot of peoples' songs back and they'll fall back into the verse-chorus song structure. In this comp, it just won't win it for you.

And I agree about the deadline. We're given an entire month to work on our stuff. How much more time would you need?
The point of leaving vocals in is because Jazz fusion has any elements you want with Jazz (not to mention that there are many famous Jazz singers). So what if I put a flute in my song that does what the vocal melody would do? You have no idea whether it is a vocalist or a jazz flute..

So maybe post a new thread or edit the first post.
Either way, you need to have it say "sign ups" or something like the phc thread.
Now say his name.....
Can I still join in? It seems we're still discussing details.

I've always wanted to do something like this in teams, but that would be rather hard... Especially for some guys who are like gods, and end up teamed with... humans. Either way, I don't really care whether it's teams or singles... Or whether it's even a competition.

I rarely write jazz fusion, or if I do it's just a hint of it here and there in my metal songs. But, it'll give me a chance to try something new.