I have just finished planning the layout of the guitar that I will be building at school over the next year. However, having been in contact with one of m teachers I am told that, should I put in as much time as I have recently then I will more than likely be 'twiddling my thumbs' before Christmas.

I dont think I will be that quick.

However I might have a few weeks free and would like to spend the time on another item that I need - a small cab.

I would like a small 212, but it does need to be small! I am not that concerned about weight - so what I want to know, because I want to reduce the size, is what effect does the amount of air inside the cab have on the sound if it is an opened back?

Thanks
Yano

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
If its an open back,i cant see how this would effect it to much, but is an opened back guitar cabinet for tuning or what, i cant see the point of having a gaping whole in the back(ive only dealt with bass cabs). But i reckon even with an open backed cab youll still need to take into account the volume needed by the speakers(It will be stated in the specs) to function properly.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks - ill have a look at them - in a 212 could i mix and match speakers? Would it sound strange?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I cant recommend it all, get two good matched speakers and start from there. Eminence and Celestion both make great speakers, as well as beyma and pro-sound. Theres some other good ones, so check out as many as you can. Look for something with a high sensitivity and aroun 103db for good loud volumes.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Interior volume is not super important in an open back cab.
Yes, you can mix and match speakers so long as the impedances are the same. Some combinations work well together, some don't, but using two different speakers is okay.
Thanks. I was thinking a v30 and a g12k - the g12k had 99 as opposed to 100 sensetivity - would that matter?

EDIT: and if i were to want to use a closed back design for a punier bass then would this mean that I would need to start worrying about space inside?

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I have just finished planning the layout of the guitar that I will be building at school over the next year. However, having been in contact with one of m teachers I am told that, should I put in as much time as I have recently then I will more than likely be 'twiddling my thumbs' before Christmas.

I dont think I will be that quick.

Believe me, you will have a lot of work on your hands. I'm building a guitar at school too, and I thought the same way your teacher did. I've still got heaps to do and I started it months ago. When you think about it, the amount of time you are actually working on building it isnt really that much.
I have a local luthier as a teacher/class assistant whose tools and, when nessecery, shop I can borrow

How long do you spend on it a week? During the planning stage I can spend about 2hours of lesson time a week and 3 hours of aftershcool - one and a half hours on mondays and wednesdays a week.

EDIT: and I am not doing the neck because of the fact that when me and my other teacher (the one actually in charge of the class)examined the markscheam we could see no benefit in making the neck and were concerned about the time scale so I am buying the neck.

and it would be great to follow each other - have you made a thread on it yet? I will be doing so as soon as i have all of the parts together!

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Thanks. I was thinking a v30 and a g12k - the g12k had 99 as opposed to 100 sensetivity - would that matter?

EDIT: and if i were to want to use a closed back design for a punier bass then would this mean that I would need to start worrying about space inside?

I am going to assume you mean punchier bass.
Volume (interior space) is important for a closed back cab. First you need to pic what speakers you will use, then either copy a production cab that uses those speakers, or do some calculations. There are a few websites that can help you calculate dimensions appropriate for your speakers, but I don't remember them offhand.
lol - yaah

Having read that.. What a typo lol.

Ill have a look about for websites! I might make th eback detachable and add some straps inside so I can carry my guitar in one hand, and my cab in the other with my head strapped inside it - a ht-5

Certified lurker
The speaker design cookbook, by vaghn dickinson i think his name is is a great place to start
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Thanks, looks like a good recommendation but that book seems to be very pricey with loads of different editions... why so pricey and complicated?

Ah well. Im going to a local music shop soon where im picking um a lo pro 7 - Its pretty pricey so im sure that they will let me measure up on of there own cabs. Is there any measurements that need to be taken inside?

I would like to get a KKish (obviously different as it would be MY SOUND, but that's what im using as a starting ref) sound so I would want something like a hiwatt 212 -

http://www.highwayguitar.com/images/upload/image/news/hiwatt/SE2121.jpg

Im gonna try to find one to measure.

Im thinking hiwatt because they are more kkish then kk - better bass than the m4 cabs that kk uses for good bass

EDIT:

Disregard this and see EDIT no' 2

I found these on the below site - could I just knock on up like that?

Hiwatt 2 x 12 Extension Cab

Dimensions for Cabinet (Width x Depth x Height) and Weight (kg)
680 x 290 x 530 36Kg

http://www.hiwatt.co.uk/prod_details.aspx?pid=10&cid=27

Would knocking one up that size be ok? I can make it a removable back with enough space to stick a head inside and strap down so The size issue no onger applies.

Make it out of 12ply birtch?

EDIT 2:

Scratch that - Im gonna buy this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designing-Building-Testing-Speaker-Projects/dp/007069429X/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Certified lurker