has anyone owned or played a Gibson Explorer 76? what are the pros and cons of that guitar? i just got 1000 euros for my 18 birthday and i consider spending them on a top notch guitar, and a explorer seems like a really cool guitar for heavy rock and blues, and not a lot of people have them, don't want to be a another les paul/strat guy (doh, i already have a Epi LP and squier strat)
All,and I do mean all of the explorers I've played were hit or miss.Some were nice,while others...eh...not so much.

I found the necks to be comfortable,but negotiating around the body was a bit odd at times since I'm a strat and super strat player.The pickups were good for distorted tones but the cleans were lacking something.Some of them suffered from simple QC issues which was disheartening and rather annoying.

TBH,if I were to get an explorer I'd either go through Warmoth or a brand like Edwards,I trust them much more than Gibson.That being said,if you do get a nice one from Gibson it's going to a great guitar.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

i don't know about the 76s, but it's difficult to hit the 22nd fret for me on gibson explorers. gibson Vs are nice though and have good access to the higher frets. but if you want an explorer go for it. they look awesome.
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Quote by jimmypopali

This would be better:

Edwards Explorer

Higher quality than the hammer model and even some of the low end Gibson models with a pair of Seymour Duncan Blackouts and a satin finish for a fast and smooth feel.No need to swap the pickups,since the blackouts are some of the best pups for high gain tone out there,much clearer and more percussive than the invaders.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by jimmypopali
has anyone owned or played a Gibson Explorer 76? what are the pros and cons of that guitar? i just got 1000 euros for my 18 birthday and i consider spending them on a top notch guitar, and a explorer seems like a really cool guitar for heavy rock and blues, and not a lot of people have them, don't want to be a another les paul/strat guy (doh, i already have a Epi LP and squier strat)

I have a '76 reissue, and it plays amazingly, not too keen on the pickups for what I play, but it still sounds amazing.
Main Gear
Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White
Esp Eclipse-I CTM DPS w/18v Mod
PRS Custom 24 Angry Larry
Mesa Mark V
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

Bands FB Page
My gibson explorer plays lovely, it really takes no effort at all to play at all really smooth. The sound is brilliant aswel but it shines more in the heavy sound than the cleans altough they sound great aswel.
ive got a epiphone 58 explorer and i love it. so i can imagine a gibby sounding awsome
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!