"Suicide Snowman" is a very oldschool Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids track. It's also one of my favorite songs.
But if I wanted to record/perform the song, would I have to pay a royalty?
Manson was not signed to any record label at the time. Does that mean that Marilyn Manson [as a band] does not own this material?
I'm thinking the answer is yes, but I want a clarification.
Quote by EnDZYm3
"Suicide Snowman" is a very oldschool Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids track. It's also one of my favorite songs.
But if I wanted to record/perform the song, would I have to pay a royalty?
Manson was not signed to any record label at the time. Does that mean that Marilyn Manson [as a band] does not own this material?
I'm thinking the answer is yes, but I want a clarification.

I dont think there is anyone on UG that can actually answer that question, but its a certainty that Marilyn Manson himself (the person) would own the rights to his own song.
That's what I figured.
But at the same time, Manson himself would have to say whether or not I can record it, and for how much.
As far as I know, Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids was not and is not a legal entity. I concluded this because by the time they were finally signed to Nothing Records, the name and line-up had changed, and Marilyn Manson [the band and legal entity] emerged.
The only piece of the song I think I would need permission to use is the lyrics/poetry.
Come to think of it, why isn't there a forum for music law?
We're training musicians here aren't we?
I never realized that until just now.
Well, I hope an admin can do some magic after this and get one put up.
Us musicians need to know what we're dealing with.
No, of course you wouldn't need to. You wouldn't need to pay a royalty to do a cover of the Beautiful People either, for that matter.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
you need to pay mechanical fees through ASCAP or BMI (whichever one he is a member of) he owns the copyright to the song, it doesn't mater whether or not he was on a label. Find out which group he is a member of (both have lists of members on their websites) an contact them for more information, CD pressing companies will charge you and pay for you, but most duplication services will not.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by STABxYOU
No, of course you wouldn't need to. You wouldn't need to pay a royalty to do a cover of the Beautiful People either, for that matter.

Legally, yes you would. It's just rare that bands ever get chased up on it.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
you need to pay mechanical fees through ASCAP or BMI (whichever one he is a member of) he owns the copyright to the song, it doesn't mater whether or not he was on a label. Find out which group he is a member of (both have lists of members on their websites) an contact them for more information, CD pressing companies will charge you and pay for you, but most duplication services will not.

I never bothered because I wasn't sure if I needed permission [Reason for question].
Short answer... yes

It's all in the copyright sticky.

It has nothing to do with whether he was signed or what name he was under, as long as he wrote the song it is his intellectual property and as such any recreations need to be credited to him and payed for accordingly (we're not talking millions here, it's a few cents for every time you play the song/someone buys your version of the song/someone potentially hears the song as a result of you re-recording so we're looking at about $30 a year if you do well with it and $0.03 if you don't.).

What do you have to do? Sign up with ASCAP and BMI, list all your tracks as well as the covers you do and they will bill you/pay you without you having to do any real leg work.

Problem solved.

EDIT:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

that's all you'll ever need to know on the matter.
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
Last edited by Shredder XXX at Aug 6, 2009,