Page 1 of 2
Hey guys,

I'm looking for either a Solid State or Hybrid amp for death metal as I see a lot of the old school guys use these types of amps e.g. Chuck Schuldiner, Jack Owen etc etc.

I'm looking to buy new as I will be buying online. I'm doing this because there are no good guitar stores here in Northern Ireland where I can go and try out 2nd hand ones and I'm a bit wary of buying used online.

I need something with a lot of hi gain, heavy lo's and piercing hi's. It's death metal you catch my drift lol.

Amp and pedal combo's are welcome too

Please no tube suggestions as I really want to try out some SS and hybrid stuff.

Thanks all, Peace.
Ampeg VH140c

Also, Randall V2 and V2 Archetype.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=946124&content=songinfo&songID=7913639
http://geetarguy.tripod.com/v2test.mp3

Both those clips are just the V2. and you can hear the Ampeg VH140c on any of Suffocation's old ****. Chuck used some Randall SS amps early on and moved on to a Marshall Valvestate 8100 (I think that's the model number).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 5, 2009,
that V2 sounds prettty ****in sweet! yeah i was looking at the Ampeg but they are discontinued. Aye Chuck used a Marshall 8100, I really want one but I can't get a hold of one here to try out it sucks the big one
Ampeg VH-140C is the best there is for what you want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by stykerwolf
You can get a Ampeg for pretty low, also check out a Krank Rev. JR; 50 watts and can do metal pretty much.

It's tube. He's looking for SS or Hybrid. Hence: Ampeg, Valvestate (with a DiMarzio X2N in your guitar to get Chuck's sound), or a Randall (any SS or hybrid Randall will do, they're some of the best in current production).

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

Ampeg Vh140c, or if you must be a cheapskate, like me, a Crate GX130c is a worthy stand-in for a Vh140c, very similar tones. Though it has quite a bit more mids, but it pretty much has a mid scoop knob. So its cool.
I'm ragin the Ampeg's are discontinued that randall's a wee bit above my price range too, hmmm. any other suggestions lads?
Craigslist, man. And like I said, even the cheaper Randall SS stacks can be pretty good. Always check used, ad you can get great deals that way.

+1 to the Crate. But once again, discontinued and you have to look used.

Stupid name.

Craigslist or ebay that ampeg. i've seen serveral on BIN at 300 bucks
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Neither the Ampeg nor Crate is on the eBay UK site and I can't buy from the US site cause of voltage differences etc. Being a metal head in Northern Ireland absolutely ****ing sucks! I'm not best pleased.
I need to find an Ampeg VH140C or Crate GX130C. I looked at vids on YouTube and they are both sweet. Would I need to use any pedals with these? and in your opinion which one would be better and why?
Quote by guitar123daniel
I need to find an Ampeg VH140C or Crate GX130C. I looked at vids on YouTube and they are both sweet. Would I need to use any pedals with these? and in your opinion which one would be better and why?

Nope, but they do love a good clean boost on the front end from time to time...
You don't need any distortion pedals for the Ampeg or Crate - both have a fuckload of gain.

Also, look for a Marshall Valvestate on eBay - they're pretty common everywhere
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I seen a Marshall 8100 on eBay for pretty cheap but I just don't wanna be stuck with buying something and then when it arrives it not working or something. What do you guys thinks about the Randall RH150G3? Any good for what I'm looking for?
Quote by guitar123daniel
I seen a Marshall 8100 on eBay for pretty cheap but I just don't wanna be stuck with buying something and then when it arrives it not working or something. What do you guys thinks about the Randall RH150G3? Any good for what I'm looking for?

The RH150G3 would be really good for you. That thing has gain till next year.

But the Marshall should be solid. I owned one that had taken plenty of abuse, and it still played fine.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I was reading some stuff about the Marshall's and people were saying that they didn't have an awful lot of gain and that they can be pretty unreliable. Its £140. Do you think it's worth the risk?
Quote by shadow__666
The RH150G3 would be really good for you. That thing has gain till next year.

But the Marshall should be solid. I owned one that had taken plenty of abuse, and it still played fine.

+1

I have fixed a few older Marshall Valvestates (none avt) and they usually only blew if people did something stupid to them.. Example the last one I fixed finally blew after getting kicked off the stack/off the stage for the third time in a row.

There good solid amps if you like british voicing...

Quote by guitar123daniel
I was reading some stuff about the Marshall's and people were saying that they didn't have an awful lot of gain and that they can be pretty unreliable. Its £140. Do you think it's worth the risk?

Always remember your talking about an amp that is over a decade old. And come with lots of stories that the new owners probably dont know about. Example the guy that kicks the amp off the stage gets it fixed and then sells it. Next guy gets it and it blows.. Now its all of a sudden a bad amp..

They are built solid but being as old as there are.. Sh!t Happens
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by guitar123daniel

That's probably the AVT series - they're like the retarded little brother of the original VS amps. Those were made in the UK - the AVTS are Chinese.
Quote by Cathbard
I think I'll go for the Marshall 8100 simply because of the lack of Ampeg's in the UK. Will I need a pedal for this or will it have enough gain?
ive got an ampeg and its great for what you want, my guitarist (i bought him) recently got a crate gx-130c (havent heard it yet) that we drove 6 hours for, maybe more like 8 even

never tried any randalls
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by shadow__666
That's probably the AVT series - they're like the retarded little brother of the original VS amps. Those were made in the UK - the AVTS are Chinese.

No they're not, unless they moved production there recently. My AVT50X was made in England and says so all over the damn thing.

Also, AVTs have buttloads of gain, so long as the speaker can handle it. Their stock speakers are the same or similar to MG speakers and suck balls.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Just to chime in, I have extensive experience playing the little brother to the 8100 (the 8080) and I have to say that it is literally my go-to amp for anything heavier than thrash. It excels at high gain, ballsy tones, so long as you don't need anything else, because its clean channel makes me cry.
Are the 8100 and 8080 the same? apart from the fact that one is a head and one is a combo? Cause there an 8080 on eBay atm for £87.
The 8080 is 80w, I assume the 8100 is just a larger 100w version. So yes, I think that they are the same.
The 8080 is an 80w combo, the 8100 is a 100w head.

The 8080 should be more than enough power for you...although I have no idea how much headroom death metal requires, I'm guessing an arseload.
Quote by Cathbard
The 80w is godly loud just for reference. Completely destroyed my drummer on 6. In a small room, but 6 nonetheless.
You're in the UK, so although the Ampeg edges it, the Marshall is more readily available and will serve you well for the genre you want it for.
Well, do you have access to the Ampeg? If not, get the Marshall.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Aye no Ampeg's about. I'll bid on this 8080 here and if I don't win that then I'll buy the 8100. Thanks to everyone you have been excellent help
Don't worry, it's hard as hell finding the Ampegs in Canada too. Crates are a little more common here. If the older VSs are so much better then AVTs as everyone says, you'll be pleased with the 8080.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by guitar123daniel
Aye no Ampeg's about. I'll bid on this 8080 here and if I don't win that then I'll buy the 8100. Thanks to everyone you have been excellent help

Anytime, bro. Just let us know what you got.

And Ampegs are pretty rare here as well.
Quote by Cathbard
I just bid on it

I can't even find the Crates over here! America seems to be the place to live for good, cheap gear these days!
Quote by guitar123daniel
I just bid on it

I can't even find the Crates over here! America seems to be the place to live for good, cheap gear these days!

Yeah. Try being Down Under though - we get raped on everything.
Quote by Cathbard
I'd suggest a Valvestate of some sort (I had a VS30, it was OK... speaker sucked, not loud enough, but otherwise it was a nice amp).

The 8080 is gonna be really ****ing loud. My 75w Peavey Vypyr is more than loud enough for my purposes at 4.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Page 1 of 2