I have been looking for a new amp. I currently have a Marshall MG15DFX. I am thinking about getting either a Marshall MG50, a Marshall Haze, or a Vox AC15. I mainly play classic rock (Zeppelin, AC/DC, Queen, Hendrix) and my local music store told me the Haze would be good for it. It does have a nice tone. I have no experiance with the Vox. Can it get a good tone for what I play?

I don't have a budget, as I will be saving up for the new amp.

So which, in your opinion, should I get?
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
I think out of those you're best off with the Vox. I think you should have a look at the Peavey Vypyrs too.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Do Not Get A Low End Marshall - dumb capitalization to stress point... low end marshall sound horrible... Get a tube amp

out of the amps you listed, no doubt get an AC15
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by little_angus
if you want to play classic rock buy a marshall
the vox will disapoit you

I think this person's username itself is enough reason to disregard him.

Out of those choices, the Vox is the best. Try checking out the new Vox Nighttrain head + a cab; it's a little harder edged than the AC15.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
DON'T get the MG 50, don't know about the Haze, the AC 15 is a great amp, but is more of a clean amp so might wanna get a nice transparent od pedal with it, you will then have a good classic rock sound.
There's also the Traynir ycs 50 to check out and the peavey classic 30
Look at the HT-5 if your not playing live / with band.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
Do Not Get A Low End Marshall - dumb capitalization to stress point... low end marshall sound horrible... Get a tube amp

out of the amps you listed, no doubt get an AC15

the marshall haze is a tube amp, and probaly the best one considering jimmy page, angus young, and jimi hendrix used marshalls
Quote by zeppelinsk8er92
the marshall haze is a tube amp, and probaly the best one considering jimmy page, angus young, and jimi hendrix used marshalls

ok this post deserve a major
Quote by Sguit
ok this post deserve a major

+999999999999999999999999999999
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Agree with HT-5 if its only for home.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

If you're just playing at home, go ahead and get a Blackstar HT-5. It's really all you need. If you want to play small gigs/with a band, there are a couple amps that are decent for you:

Marshall Haze
Egnater Rebel 30
Vox Night Train
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV40

The Night Train would require a cab, as it is only a head. The Haze gives you classic Marshall tone, although it's not quite as nice as the JCM's or JVM's. The Egnater is nice, because you can turn it into a 1 watt amp for bedroom practice, and bring it up to 30 watts for gigs. Also, it can get Fender cleans and Marshall overdrive because it has two sets of power tubes that you can blend. The Peavey and Traynor are also excellent classic rock amps, but I'm not as familiar with them.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
If you're just playing at home, go ahead and get a Blackstar HT-5. It's really all you need. If you want to play small gigs/with a band, there are a couple amps that are decent for you:

Marshall Haze
Egnater Rebel 30
Vox Night Train
Peavey Classic 30
Traynor YCV40

The Night Train would require a cab, as it is only a head. The Haze gives you classic Marshall tone, although it's not quite as nice as the JCM's or JVM's. The Egnater is nice, because you can turn it into a 1 watt amp for bedroom practice, and bring it up to 30 watts for gigs. Also, it can get Fender cleans and Marshall overdrive because it has two sets of power tubes that you can blend. The Peavey and Traynor are also excellent classic rock amps, but I'm not as familiar with them.

I plan on playing smaller gigs, as my band is just getting off the ground.

So what your saying is, I should probably get the Haze, not the AC15? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Also, I was wondering if you could get good Zeppelin or AC/DC tone from an AC15? I know you can get a good Queen sound.
I'll pretend I can mod your amp but break it instead.
Quote by guitarlord28
I plan on playing smaller gigs, as my band is just getting off the ground.

So what your saying is, I should probably get the Haze, not the AC15? (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Also, I was wondering if you could get good Zeppelin or AC/DC tone from an AC15? I know you can get a good Queen sound.

The AC15 would be fine (and probably better, actually) as long as you're willing to drop some cash on a nice Overdrive for it.

See, it's a really great amp with great tone but it also has a lot of headroom. It would require an OD to get the distorted tones you're looking for but it would be well worth it.

I also recommend the Peavey Classic 30. Hell, you might not even need an OD for a Classic 30....

....(but you'll probably end up wanting an OD no matter what you get).
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.

I think that the Haze is better for what you want to do than the AC15. However, I think that both the Egnater and the Traynor would be much better than the Haze. As you can see, I'm saving up for the Egnater right now, and once I get it, I can post clips. If you can't wait, I'd go with that. However, if you are looking for a cheaper alternative to the Egnater or the Traynor, then you can look into the Carvin Nomad. It's $500, and it's better than the Haze, probably as good as the Traynor, although a little bit darker. Still has a very nice classic rock vibe, and could really do you well with a nice overdrive on the front end if you venture into, say, Sabbath or Maiden. Right now, I'd say your best option in terms of tone is the Egnater, but for half the price, I'd go with the Carvin and some pedals.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=NOMAD

EDIT: One thing to note about the Egnater, should you choose to spend the extra dough, is the type of tubes it uses. The power tubes in this amp are small, 6v6 and El-84, which have a very bubbly upper midrange, lack the bass punch of a larger 6l6 or el34 tube. There is a decent amount of gain available should you use it, and the power scaling feature is nice. In using this amp though, I would get a tube screamer to go with it to push the input and add gain for leads, and have less gain for rhythms.

Also, about Carvins, the best amps they make are the Legacy heads, which are basically clones of the revered Bogner Ecstasy, which is a truly incredible amp. Legacy I amps can be found on eBay cheaply, or new cheaply, IIRC. Now there are improved Legacy II heads, which sound even better, have another channel, and a gain boost.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Aug 5, 2009,