What are your opinions on these reverb pedals. The digitech hardwire reverb sounds really natural but it is $150 and I don't use reverb that much. I have heard good things about the line 6 verbzilla and it's only $60. I love the one octave up setting but some of the other settings don't sound as good as the hardwire. I have only heard these pedals in videos so opinions would be nice. The hardwire seems really nice and sounds great but will the verbzilla sound almost as good for like $100 less?
I've never found a use for reverb pedals - I usually use amp reverb and maybe a delay pedal.

I would spend that money on a compressor or something.
Quote by blue_strat
I've never found a use for reverb pedals - I usually use amp reverb and maybe a delay pedal.

I would spend that money on a compressor or something.

Fail. If you're playing post-rock or other kinda os experimental guitar music, digital reverb is almost essential. Or if your amp doesn't have reverb.

TS - I personally swear by the Verbzilla - I tried the Hardwire and thought it was nice, but as good,
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well, I use reverb a lot (almost every time I play) but that's because of the genres I play. What sort of music are you looking at?

And the Verbzilla is only $60?? When did that happen?

I would recommend the Verbzilla strictly from a price standpoint, as it is quite comparable to the hardwire. However, both a relatively sterile sounding.
Buy it. The verbzilla that is, you wont regret it. I have one on the board. Its one of two pedals that I cannot gig without. The octave setting is awesome, worth the money.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
If its only $60, buy the Verbzilla. Thats an extremely good price for it. I didn't know that the price for them went down?

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.

However, both a relatively sterile sounding.

So, assuming that the tube Fender above is out of most of our price ranges, what do you suggest for the rest of us?
Quote by unix
So, assuming that the tube Fender above is out of most of our price ranges, what do you suggest for the rest of us?

good things are being said about the new electro-harmonix reverb, the cathedral, which is at a comparable price range of the hardwire (which is yet another failure by digitech IMO). for 60 bones, hmmm, I don't like it (as many here know), but that's a great price for the verbzip-zero-nada... oops. I meant verbzilla.

I use the T-rex posted earlier. THAT's what a "natural" reverb sounds like... though the Leo would def be cool too!
Id suggest the Verbzilla again, at the risk of GrisKy's panties getting in a bunch
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Id suggest the Verbzilla again, at the risk of GrisKy's panties getting in a bunch

GrisKy free-balls, and for $60 I got nuthin'... suggest away.
just a heads up. you saw the verbzilla that you stick into a pedal. its $150 new
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
^+1
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Quote by rking19
^+1

^ -2

...delay modeler?

...AHA! Only the cell and not the shell... Not $60 = fair game! There's a lengthy thread in which I explain how the damn thing eats your tone from both ends of your frequency spectrum (anyone want to beat me to the punch, or need I recap myself?).

The hardheads here who care less about their tone than they do about having "that one cool setting" will continue to swear by it, I'm sure. Do yourself a favor and check out EHX's Cathedral. It's starting to pop up in various places... shouldn't be too hard to find a clip to give you an idea, and it'll be in the ballpark of your price range (<-- that last part is a guess... but you did also mention the HW... stay away from the HW, for the love of god or tone or whatever you're into).
Quote by GrisKy
^ -2

...delay modeler?

...AHA! Only the cell and not the shell... Not $60 = fair game! There's a lengthy thread in which I explain how the damn thing eats your tone from both ends of your frequency spectrum (anyone want to beat me to the punch, or need I recap myself?).

The hardheads here who care less about their tone than they do about having "that one cool setting" will continue to swear by it, I'm sure. Do yourself a favor and check out EHX's Cathedral. It's starting to pop up in various places... shouldn't be too hard to find a clip to give you an idea, and it'll be in the ballpark of your price range (<-- that last part is a guess... but you did also mention the HW... stay away from the HW, for the love of god or tone or whatever you're into).

1)I use most of the models and change settings between most songs.
2)The Cathedral isnt out yet, and having used other EHX reverb pedals, I can see it going wrong much more than right
3)What kind of music do you play/do you realize that there are other styles out there?
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
1)I use most of the models and change settings between most songs.
2)The Cathedral isnt out yet, and having used other EHX reverb pedals, I can see it going wrong much more than right
3)What kind of music do you play/do you realize that there are other styles out there?

^As do I.

Normal setting on my Verzilla is the 69 Spring. I use the Plate setting on one song, octave on two, and hall on three others. Settings are different from time to time. The verbzilla is a great pedal.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
this game again?
1) good for you. How 'bout reading what TS wrote in the thread opener? He called the HW better than most of the VZ's settings for christs sake! Not to mention that many VZ users would openly admit they went for it for the 8va setting.
2) EHX caught a bad rap from many holy grail users who thought they got lemons, true. but how many of them went through the trouble of isolating their power source? Mine worked fine as long as I owned it. and clips are out of the cath... guess I wasn't clear on that part.
3) I play what I feel like playing when I feel like playing it? sooo... yeah, I guess I do realize that there are other styles out there... what does that have to do with the verbzilla eating your tone? Are you describing your genre, in which a key ingredient is having your highs and lows devoured?
Quote by GrisKy
this game again?
1) good for you. How 'bout reading what TS wrote in the thread opener? He called the HW better than most of the VZ's settings for christs sake! Not to mention that many VZ users would openly admit they went for it for the 8va setting.
2) EHX caught a bad rap from many holy grail users who thought they got lemons, true. but how many of them went through the trouble of isolating their power source? Mine worked fine as long as I owned it. and clips are out of the cath... guess I wasn't clear on that part.
3) I play what I feel like playing when I feel like playing it? sooo... yeah, I guess I do realize that there are other styles out there... what does that have to do with the verbzilla eating your tone? Are you describing your genre, in which a key ingredient is having your highs and lows devoured?

1)If the TS already wants the HW more than the VZ, why would he make the thread? I came in to post what I thought on the subject, rather than just tell him that he was an idiot for asking something he already knows the answer to. Also, people who bought the pedal for the octave setting only clearly fall into a different category than someone looking for a more fully fledged reverb pedal.
2)First off, every Holy Grail Ive used has sounded the same, so Im assuming that they arnt lemons (either that or EHX has piss poor quality control, which hardly makes them seem any better). Second, I was no more impressed by the higher end models of theirs either. Lastly, clips can only give you so much detail. Im waiting to actually be able to use it myself before I decide if its worth recommending/buying/etc.
3)What a goddamn fantastic answer. I myself play music that sounds like music, because its music. And its not hard to use an EQ, if youre not retarded.
Board:
Last edited by IsThereLoveInSp at Aug 6, 2009,
are you even talking to me here? when did I call TS an idiot? I also posted what I thought about the subject.

no, it's not quality control, it's people using piss-poor power sources, and what exactly are we calling the higher-end model here? the holiest grail? that's not a higher quality product, nor did I make any refference to it.
-fair enough wanting to try something out for yourself before buying it. I agree with that fully. I was merely stating that TS should look into it before making a purchase. Also want to point out here, before it gets completely over-looked by your tantrum, that NR suggested the spring chick... a very good call.

aaaand last, you're right, EQing isn't hard if you're not an idiot. First rule of EQing: you can't EQ what isn't there in the first place! Where does that leave your tone once the verbzilla robs from your highs and lows?
you could also try the tech 21 reverb boost. Might be a bit expensive though.....

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
God fuck me, if I wanted to see teenage girls going at it over the interwebz I'd go on Myspace.

There are no right or wrong answers when it comes to tone (except Line6 Spiders). If you like it, guess what? YOU like it. And if you don't like it? YOU don't like it.

Others may like it, so fucking what? It doesn't make them tone-deaf, just different. I know I prefer the sound of a Recto to a Mark IV - just because most disagree with me doesn't make me or them wrong.

So GrisKy, if you don't like the Verbzilla that's your problem and there's no need to act like a cunt to anyone who does.

/end rant.

I need a beer.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
...and I'll be happy to buy you that beer as soon as you're old enough to walk into the bar without scanning for under-cover cops.

I pointed out what was wrong with the ****. you got a problem, take it up with someone who gives a flying **** what you sound like.
Anyone else like the Tech 21?

-Gibson LP VM
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Actually, I can drink in a pub in any country that doesn't have ridiculous drinking age laws (cough...USA...cough).

Yeah, at first you pointed out the flaws. But when you made dumbarse statements like:

The hardheads here who care less about their tone than they do about having "that one cool setting" will continue to swear by it, I'm sure

and

Are you describing your genre, in which a key ingredient is having your highs and lows devoured

and generally acting like a head up your arse wanker is where the line was crossed.

But who gives a sh!t really. I like my Verbzilla (for all the settings), you don't, never we shall meet and I got a barstool calling my name.
Quote by Cathbard
Ive played a lot of Reverb Pedals, (HW, RV, FDR-1, etc.) Never used EHX so I shouldnt comment.

Overall opinions that I have, and have heard others say in the past -

Bang for your buck says go with the Verb. If you got the money, get the T-Rex, the chicken, or the HW.

Grisky - Ive seen your rig photos, one could only HOPE to have that kind of cash. Its nice, you should feel good about the gear that you have, but understand that what you have is far better than most of us with a smaller budget will ever see. I would pay you to play in that area for a disclosed amount of time, thats how nice it is, and you know it. Dont make folks feel like crap because of it.

I understand that you dislike the Verb, thats cool. But lets stay on point, and not flame this to death.

Cool?
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Ive played a lot of Reverb Pedals, (HW, RV, FDR-1, etc.) Never used EHX so I shouldnt comment.

Overall opinions that I have, and have heard others say in the past -

Bang for your buck says go with the Verb. If you got the money, get the T-Rex, the chicken, or the HW.

Grisky - Ive seen your rig photos, one could only HOPE to have that kind of cash. Its nice, you should feel good about the gear that you have, but understand that what you have is far better than most of us with a smaller budget will ever see. I would pay you to play in that area for a disclosed amount of time, thats how nice it is, and you know it. Dont make folks feel like crap because of it.

I understand that you dislike the Verb, thats cool. But lets stay on point, and not flame this to death.

Cool?

hey bro, my intention was never to bring my rig into this (which took me yeeeeaaaarrrs to piece together, along with lots of sacrifice, so don't feel bad, your life was prolly much better than mine while it was being built). my comments were aimed from a technical standpoint, which no one seems to get.

I ended the last reverb-related thread with a comment kinda' like this, and everyone seemed to walk away happy, so let's all cross our fingers, shall we?

In the case of the Verbzilla, my main sticking point (as with all pieces of gear I consider using) is how it robs your frequency spectrum's high and low ends. Tonal integrity is perhaps the MOST important factor when piecing together a rig in my book. Conceptually, I think it's great. There is definately a place for extreme long-tail reverbs in music, as evident by your wanting of that sound, and I'm in no way trying to insult your style or musical tastes. The fact that I personally do not usually go for that sound wasn't what I was basing my judgement on, but rather that the good concept was executed poorly. that said, it is one of the better places to get that sound from without breaking the bank. perhaps if they designed a dedicated unit to THAT sound it'd turn out much better, but in its defense, it is also versitile.
Last edited by GrisKy at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by jc349
Anyone else like the Tech 21?

yes. tech 21 = good. so does spring chicken NR originally mentioned.
Honestly,
I played the verbzilla, and the hardwire rv7. I ended up buying the RV7. It sounded more "natural" to me. But theres a lot of variables taste/application/etc. Id say if you get one of those you cant go wrong, just a matter of taste
Nah, broseph. HCFX actually keeps things civil.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I don't know. The thread on rushfan's DEM got pretty heated.

Isn't this the second time GrisKy has been in a flamewar over a reverb pedal? Either way, I'm with nightraven. Even though he's a little abrasive, he knows his shit.
The bottom line is nothing really sounds like a reverb tank except a reverb tank and thats out of the question for this price. The T-Rex is probably the best but is about 300 bucks I think. Look at the EHX Holy grail.
Quote by The_Bosstone
I don't know. The thread on rushfan's DEM got pretty heated.

Isn't this the second time GrisKy has been in a flamewar over a reverb pedal? Either way, I'm with nightraven. Even though he's a little abrasive, he knows his shit.

i might come across that way from time to time... it's unintentional. spend your days with a bunch of (1) army grunts or (2) roadies and you're likely to pick up a vernacular that doesn't translate well to the typed word.

...i'm tryin'.
Quote by fretz86
The bottom line is nothing really sounds like a reverb tank except a reverb tank and thats out of the question for this price. The T-Rex is probably the best but is about 300 bucks I think. Look at the EHX Holy grail.

also a good call, but BE SURE YOU ISOLATE THE HG'S POWER SOURCE!!!

...or else it'll be naughty.

Oh, and it doesn't like to share outlets with lights. Actually, not many things do, but this one makes it obvious.