i have an ibanez rg370dxgp1 with the edge III bridge, I have no clue what the hell is wrong with it. i tried tuning it to standard and by the time i had it tuned and the locking nut back tightened and i checked the tuning again it was at D# G# C# F# B E i tried to get it back in tune with the fine tuners but it dropped again, so i tried tuning it to drop C and when i got it tuned it was at E A G# F# A# D#. what could be the problem?
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
floating bridges are a pain in the ass. take forever to get it right. i put a block behind mine so it doesnt move lol

PSN: reldask
You also can't change the tuning without changing the spring tension. Well, I suppose you can but the bridge won't sit right.
For bridges like that (and goes for floyd rose bridges to) you gotta tune them multiple times to let the strings adjust when retuning my guitar I usually have to tune bout 5 - 10 times (and thats including using the fine tuners to) with my floyd rose.
i usually tune the 2 low string then tighten that pressure plate, same with with 2 middle strings and 2 high. ive tried tuning it several times and it keeps dropping to the exact same notes. i dont have alot of experience with floating bridges but ill try tuning it more and hopefully ill get it right. if i block the bridge will it eliminate this problem? i dont really use it anyways
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Tighten the pressure plate? You mean the locking nuts? You should tune the whole thing at once, let it set for a while, check if the tuning needs to be tweaked, and then put the lock nuts on.
yeah by pressure plates i mean locking nuts. so what your saying is tune it, leave it sitting unlocked and then retune it and lock it? i had it set up not too long ago so it has brand new strings so would that make it harder to tune?
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
Yes, with brand new strings they usually need to stretch so that the tension on the bridge and strings equalize. Whats probably happening is you're locking it, but each piece one at a time, so the first set you locked is probably out of tune by the time you've locked the whole thing up because the strings became stretched out more.
ok ill try what you said and tune it let it sit tune it again and lock it and see what happens. i never realized that trem bridges were so touchy. im about to go to work so il ltry it when i get home tonight, thanks man
Deals done with:
lfrz93
mmjohn
This is a VERY good step by step on how to deal with re-stringing and getting a floating trem back in tune after changing strings. Note: very important: block the tremolo before you do anything. If after blocking it a the right angle and tuning it, the bridge goes either too high or low on its cavity, you will have to change string tension (higher or lower, depending on the first)

http://www.myrotarycar.com/blog/index.php/2009/05/28/restring-your-double-locking-tremolo-equipped-guitar-easily/