Hey, I've been playing guitar since I was 11 (I am 17 now), but I started to take it seriously just a month ago. During the years I just picked the guitar every once in a while to learn a song, and then put the guitar back and let it cover in dust. There have been several long periods of time that I haven't even touched the guitar. My skills are comparable to someone who has been playing seriously for just few months. I attempted to start practise on daily basis a few times in the past, but I always got bored after just few days.

So now I think I am finally on the track, heading the right direction. I am highly motivated since I am planning on buying a new guitar as soon as I collect enough money from my part-time job. Right now I play ****ty Yamaha ERG 121. My current schedule consists of practising with Guitar Speed Trainer software (takes about a hour), then I play songs I already know for about 20-30 minutes, and then I learn new pieces. I try by ear transcribing. I don't know if it's common, but it always takes me long time 'til I figure how it is played correctly. Usually 30-40 mins for a shorter solo. It might be matter of experience, don't know. I play 2-4 hours a day nowadays. And then I try to jam when I am bored of learning pieces. But let's face it... it's sounding terrible at the moment.

I really want to take it to the next level. I am going through all UG lessons, and I collect various excerises to help me improve my techniques. I plan on doing all of them every day, or split them into two day shifts. I would like these to take about 2 hours. First question is, how much emphasis should I put on scales? Pick a few and play them over and over again how long? 10 minutes each? And secondly, what are your advices to improve jamming? I guess I should look into music theory, huh? And should I play scales / jam along when I watch TV?

All in all, hit me with some advices, I am looking for about 3-4 (just excercises, scales, jam) practice schedule, and want to know how much time should I put on each area. FYI, I am rock n' roll / blues based guitarist, not looking to become some kind of shredder, or something...

Thank you
Quote by Marek99
Hey, I've been playing guitar since I was 11 (I am 17 now), but I started to take it seriously just a month ago. During the years I just picked the guitar every once in a while to learn a song, and then put the guitar back and let it cover in dust. There have been several long periods of time that I haven't even touched the guitar. My skills are comparable to someone who has been playing seriously for just few months. I attempted to start practise on daily basis a few times in the past, but I always got bored after just few days.

So now I think I am finally on the track, heading the right direction. I am highly motivated since I am planning on buying a new guitar as soon as I collect enough money from my part-time job. Right now I play ****ty Yamaha ERG 121. My current schedule consists of practising with Guitar Speed Trainer software (takes about a hour), then I play songs I already know for about 20-30 minutes, and then I learn new pieces. I try by ear transcribing. I don't know if it's common, but it always takes me long time 'til I figure how it is played correctly. Usually 30-40 mins for a shorter solo. It might be matter of experience, don't know. I play 2-4 hours a day nowadays. And then I try to jam when I am bored of learning pieces. But let's face it... it's sounding terrible at the moment.

I really want to take it to the next level. I am going through all UG lessons, and I collect various excerises to help me improve my techniques. I plan on doing all of them every day, or split them into two day shifts. I would like these to take about 2 hours. First question is, how much emphasis should I put on scales? Pick a few and play them over and over again how long? 10 minutes each? And secondly, what are your advices to improve jamming? I guess I should look into music theory, huh? And should I play scales / jam along when I watch TV?

All in all, hit me with some advices, I am looking for about 3-4 (just excercises, scales, jam) practice schedule, and want to know how much time should I put on each area. FYI, I am rock n' roll / blues based guitarist, not looking to become some kind of shredder, or something...

Thank you

This sounds so near to my situation started playing when i was 17 im not 21 not taken it sersouly till now. But i seem to just play the same riff over and over a routine would be really helpfull
30 minutes warm up
1 new scale a week (learn it and how to use it)
2 new chords a week (learn it and how to use it)
the associated theory with the above including arpreggiation
1 new song a week

and try the search bar there was a similar thread last month