Poll: How affected is your playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: How affected is your playing?
Very Affected
24 12%
Somewhat Affected
84 43%
Minorly Affected
74 38%
Not Affected
15 8%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 2
^Title^

Just wondering how affected you think your playing abilities are, say playing a Squire or Starcaster vs much nicer Les Paul, Soloist, etc. (Not specifically)
Musicians I Want To See Live

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Very little. I mean, you might screw up more on certain guitars because you don't like the feel of them or the action is too high/low, or there's not as good of a space for you to get to the higher notes. But, overall, your playing abilities aren't affected too much, I don't think.
"I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." - George Carlin
i first played a guitar with medium frets, then one with jumbo's and it affected my guitar playing pretty much in a positive way. Also, when i played a C-shaped neck for the first time (ESP LTD F-??? with amazing inlays) i could play much better somehow, like speed and accuracy.. idk..
Guitars
Jackson SL3MG
Ibanez RGR321EX
Kramer 120
Bass
Epiphone Embassy Standard V
Amp
Engl Ritchie Blackmore Signature
Pick
Jim Dunlop Max Grip Carbon Jazz III
Effects
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
When i "upgraded" my guitar from a Fender strat to a Schecter, i started to enjoy playing MUCH more.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
If you're on a guitar that you find is more comfortable, you are going to play better. i play Jackson RR3 which i am very comfortable and happy with, when i play a cheap low end strat i find it harder to play because of neck dimensions and shape.

EDIT: That does not only count with cheap low end guitars, but it also works with other very expensive guitars.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Aug 5, 2009,
I believe high end guitars are even more dificult to play as they catch every little sound/mistake you do... But they sound better so that's what matters...
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
well if the guitar sucks so much as that the frets cut you and the neck gives you splinters (starcaster at costco) then your playing is going to die.. but if your slightly uncomfortable with the guitar it's going to be slightly affected compared to a guitar thats comfortable. and the one that is comfortable is going to be a lot more enjoyable
I pay for music and so should you: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by Music18
u just got to love fat strats.... and i really like the ones that hav 2 single pick upsm then the humbucker near the bridge... very nice =)
I find my playing to be a little better on guitars I'm more comfortable with, but it is affected slightly by the action and whatnot on a guitar.
tone and playing abilities are much different.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
I don't think it'd improve playing skill a whole lot on its own, though I do agree that having the right neck size and width are crucial. I feel a lot better on my new guitar because the neck and frets are larger, so my fingers have more room to work with.

I'd say the biggest modifier of skill that comes from a newer, better guitar is that since it feels nicer and you spent a lot of money on it, you're probably much more motivated to play more, and playing more leads to great skill improvement.
Good guitarists can make crap work well. For example after work today I played a few of our lower-end stock(I work as a contract writer and stockroom employee for a local shop), and albeit it was harder to play on, I managed some decent tone and playing off some lower-end Squiers, albeit I had to tune it more than McDonalds has to special-make a burger for Rush Limbaugh. However better guitars foster better playing, because, well, they feel better, nicer and are generally easier to play. I love my strat but I'd gladly take an American strat instead any day. I can play better on better instruments, but at the same time I don't play completely horridly on low-quality instruments. It's just harder.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Well, I've been asking since I'm getting a new guitar soon and I sort of expect to be a better player. Right now I have a Fender Starcaster purchased from Target, and the frets are always buzzing, the pickups sound like scum, and its not always easy to play.

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Quote by AfroGuitarNoob
Well, I've been asking since I'm getting a new guitar soon and I sort of expect to be a better player. Right now I have a Fender Starcaster purchased from Target, and the frets are always buzzing, the pickups sound like scum, and its not always easy to play.

Well I can't really say for certain, but try out a bunch of different necks to see what feels good. Different guitars don't really make you play better as much as they just get more comfortable and easier to play.
My Gear
Marshall MG10 + Digitech RP350 multi-fx
Dean ZX
B52 AT-100
MXR 10-Band EQ Pedal
ESP LTD KH-Ouija Sig
Quote by ZachCrawfordOMG
Well I can't really say for certain, but try out a bunch of different necks to see what feels good. Different guitars don't really make you play better as much as they just get more comfortable and easier to play.

Ok, I'm pretty comfortable with Wizard necks, I haven't had a long time to play them though.

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
my first guitar had incredibly high action

once i upgraded i descovered low action

i am a much better player
Not effected much at all. I can do well with most guitars. I played at the same skill level on both a hollowbody and an ESP.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I enjoy playing my Gibson, Epi and my Fender much more than any other guitars I own, have owned or have borrowed. It's got nothing to do with how they're set up or the build quality - the Epi is of course just an Epi, the Fender is only a MIM and the Gibson isn't set up how I normally like my guitars to be, the action is far lower than I normally like - but I just love playing them, there's a spark I get with them in my hands that I don't get from anything else.
That in turn makes me play better. If I'm enjoying myself more I can get more into my playing, I find myself thinking faster and playing better. On the other hand if I pick up my Rally LP, my LTD or my Warmoth Tele - they're fine guitars, but I don't get that spark. I slow down and I can't even force myself to play with maximum effort, even if I want to.

Then there are a few techncial problems I have with certain guitars that do outright physically make me play worse. I struggle to play well with any kind of vibrato bridge, my Strat's is completely screwed down still and my LTD has a Floyd but I only use that when I absolutely have to for certain covers. Ibanez guitars also utterly kill my hands, their necks are vile and I literally can't even play for a whole minute before having to stop, they cause me so much physical pain.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There are some things which kind of get in the way, but I can still play more or less the same.

In fact, I find that when I try guitars at music stores, I find them easier to play because they're professionally set up. I keep my own guitar with action high enough to drive a truck under.

Unless the guitar physically prevents me from doing certain things (like bending 2 whole steps up on a classical guitar), then I play all guitars equally.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 5, 2009,
Well this probly varies from person to person, but when I bought my Les Paul Custom my playing seemed to get better instantaneously. I might just be meant for Les Paul styled guitars but I used to play a LTD KH-602 all the time and the switch just felt so right.

I would think that playing a nicer guitar also adds the appeal to it so you would want to play it more and therefore get more practice in.
depends. if your stuck on a walmart first act than very affected as it'd constantly go out of tune. A squier to a MIA fender somewhat but not too much

personally when i started i had to play a guitar upside down(im a lefty), i managed to get the hang of it in time but when i got an actual lefty i was much better
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Honestly, even a Bullet pwns a Starcaster, so it's not really fair to lump a Squiers with Starcasters.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I think it's pretty minor. Mainly because when I went into the guitar shop, I played a bunch of different guitars, all having different types of necks and body shapes. I was able to shred on all of them, pretty well. Even the schecter necks that are claimed to be "sticky."

And besides, if you don't want your guitar neck to be sticky, don't ****ing fap before you play guitar!

I can play well on almost all necks. But not Epi Les Pauls. I can barely get my hand around those and I have fairly large hands... and I enjoy ripping on Epi and Gibby necks. Haha.
Quote by AC/DCfan93
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9v5e1TTwts

Skill isnt affected at all by your guitar.

Too a certain point. Lol amazing video. At the end he says "that was a little painful on this guitar"

Metallica
Avenged Sevenfold
RHCP
Machine Head
Five Finger Death Punch
Joe Satriani/Chickenfoot
Slipknot

To Be Continued . . .
Last edited by AfroGuitarNoob at Aug 5, 2009,
Your guitar only effects your playing in extreme cases. Things like terrible fret jobs or tuners that can't stay put for thirty seconds, and I can't play on thin necks, Stratocasters hurt like hell, so I suppose I'd be screwed playing an Ibanez.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
They can affect me in a moderate way,but nothing too drastic.Guitars with necks I'm not used to can mess with my playing,same thing with bridges.For some reason I can't play to my ability on a tone pros or similar style bridge,so I avoid them.Then there are basic things like the guitars quality,electronics issues,fret wear,intonation and all that other stuff that can affect how well you play on an instrument.I think the thing that causes the biggest difference for me is a mental placebo affect that says "OK,this is a really nice guitar,so it must play nice".I kind of trick myself into playing better simply because I'm excited to be holding a quality instrument in my hands and not some Chinese made piece of garbage.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I went from a Les Paul Special II to a Jackson RR24.

So from a medium-jumbo fretted, 10"-16", C-shaped neck to a jumbo fretted, 14"-16", D-shaped neck.

That affected me a lot, but not a huge difference.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
I play noticeably better on my Aria Les Paul copy than my dad's Strat copy. I think it's because the Les Paul bridge is in a much more comfortable position relative to my hand than the Strat's. If I play that thing with my hand in the usual place at the bridge, then the pick scrapes on that last pickup. With the LP, my preferred hand positioning puts the pick just in front of the bridge pickup.
Depends on the guitar and it depends on the player.

Me? Im extremely picky when it comes to necks guitars and bridges. No not becuase im an Elite, far from it probably, but because i need the 'right' guitar to play well. I grew up playing on Stratocasters, and while i progressed a lot of my playing on those guitars, it wasnt until i tried out different guitars i realized how much better i could realize my potential if i have the right peice of equipment.

Fatter necks hurt me. Learned this the difficult way, owned one hell of a Dean ML for a long time. Had a really fat C shaped neck. For some reason, my speed decreased, my hands began to hurt and lock up, and guitar became much more unejoyable to me. When i switched to ESP guitars with the Thinner U neck contour, my playing flourished again.

It doesnt take me long to realize what im comfortable with and not comfortable with. TO the players out there that can rock any guitar, kudos to you, but i believe it is subject to everyone, and if you are truly not comfortable with a guitar, whether it is a 100 dollar or 10000 dollar guitar, your playing will suffer at some point, and you will realize it.
I have certain things that I need in a guitar to play well. There are necessities like a 25.5" scale and an unfinished or satin finished neck. Anything else throws me off. Things like fret-size and neck dimensions aren't that important unless I'm trying to play at my highest level. I personally love the Wizard Prestige neck and I can play to the best of my ability with that one. Bar chords do get uncomfortable, but I don't play them much anyway. And it's a lot more comfortable than an acoustic so I can't really complain. I would never write a song based on bar chords with my Ibanez but I would do it with my strat. The dynamics of a guitar also affects my playing. My RG reacts to picking dynamics very differently than my strat. I also wouldn't dream of playing metal on my strat. Different guitars do build different skills. But it's not about the quality, it's about the specs. Then there's things that affect comfort and ease of playing.
Quote by Tyranus-3121
depends. if your stuck on a walmart first act than very affected as it'd constantly go out of tune. A squier to a MIA fender somewhat but not too much

personally when i started i had to play a guitar upside down(im a lefty), i managed to get the hang of it in time but when i got an actual lefty i was much better

I played on a walmart first act for 10 months. The action was all the way up and I couldn't make smoke on the water sound good. Then I got my Axl and my playing immediately got better.
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I played on a walmart first act for 10 months. The action was all the way up and I couldn't make smoke on the water sound good. Then I got my Axl and my playing immediately got better.

Don't worry, that's probably the most challenging thing for a guitarist to do
nice gear always gives you some motivation
Fender Deluxe Players Strat
535Q CryBaby
Boss SD-1
ISP Decimator
EHX Small Clone
Boss DD-7
MXR 10 Band EQ
Peavey Classic 30
Well if I had a nice guitar i would spend twice as much time with it. So minimally affecting.
Dont sig me, bro!

Quote by Unourrit01
i love you.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lulstack?
Quote by gizmo_zq
nice gear always gives you some motivation

THIS. nice gear doesn't give you better accuracy or hand strength, but it does motivate you a lot. Come on, you dont want to be "that guy" with the 1959 LP reissue that only knows back in black and smoke on the water..

EDIT: but lets be serious if you really love the instrument it doesnt matter, clapton could sound good on a first act with no frets and 1 pickup
Last edited by just17n8 at Aug 6, 2009,
I have never once in my lifetime picked up a lower end guitar and said to myself "wow, I can't play ______ because the guitar sucks!"
Page 1 of 2