i know someone probably already asked this, but I wanna know if anyone knows a computer program to record songs with real instruments. I mean if i record each instruments separately i want a program to put them together, not something that would imitate the sound of the instruments without having to play it.

i was also wondering what could i use to record the guitar, piano, whatever else because i have a microphone to record my voice but nothing the record other instruments but i dont want my computer to make up the sound of instruments in my songs, i wanna play it for real.
I would probably get Audacity. It's free and easy to use.
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
First off, Punks dead, lets keep it that way.

The most common recording program is pro tools, but thats for the big boys and theres some free cheapy ones floating around the internet that you can download. I dont know how crazy you want to get with it, like drums and the rest of that crap. But yeah check out the free ones maybe someone will post up a link for them. And you COULD record the guitar and keyboard with a vocal mic, but getting an actual instrument Mic would be a lot better.

Wrong Forum by the way...
where is this audacity you speak of...?

download?

and im not in a searching mood...
"the end has no end"
Free: Audacity, Reaper
Cheap: Mixcraft, Cubase LE, Sony Acid Studio
Expensive: Cubase SX, Logic Pro, Cakewalk Sonar, Sony Acid Pro
Pro: Protools HD, Steinberg Nuendo
Cubase.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
How much would you be willing to pay for this software?
If you want it for free, take Audacity, and for about 600$ you can get a very good one called Logic Studio.

http://www.apple.com/ca/logicstudio/
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Last edited by Rancid Ivy at Aug 5, 2009,
Use Kristal or Mixcraft. Isn't mixcraft free? Or you could always torrent something...not that I would ever do that. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything...
Quote by Oosh.
Cubase.

do you need stuff for cubase? or is it just the program itself..because mine isnt recording
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
do you need stuff for cubase? or is it just the program itself..because mine isnt recording

Well if you're using the mic input on your computer (which you shouldn't be really) it should still work as long as you've set it up properly.
Quote by vitchb
Well if you're using the mic input on your computer (which you shouldn't be really) it should still work as long as you've set it up properly.

well i installed it properly and says everything is working but it doesnt pick up sound

is it just the program that comes with it or is there hardware stuff too?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Reaper is what I use. I'm able to get some decent sounding recordings with the **** microphone I have.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by guitar-guy01
well i installed it properly and says everything is working but it doesnt pick up sound

There isn't any additional hardware needed for cubase.. it just sounds like you havn't got it sync'ed properly. I only know how to sync cubase with proper studio interfaces i've never seen it done with a mic input on a computer, but have you checked you in's/out's in VST connections?
Quote by vitchb
There isn't any additional hardware needed for cubase.. it just sounds like you havn't got it sync'ed properly. I only know how to sync cubase with proper studio interfaces i've never seen it done with a mic input on a computer, but have you checked you in's/out's in VST connections?

yeah i've checked them all.... guess i'll have to get a proper interface, any recommendations?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Use audacity. And unless you have all the kit, don't record drums directly in to the pc if you can avoid it. Use a machine or RSE drums from guitar pro and export the Wav file into audacity. Save time and a load of money on mic's.

You'll probs need a Line6 Pod or something for the best amp sounds but once you have that you can get decent home demos running easily.
Quote by guitar-guy01

Normally i'd advice to dig deeper but an interface at the end of the day is always going to be better

Plenty to choose from, USB or firewire?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/m-audio_fast_track_usb.htm

Cheap USB option.
Quote by vitchb
Free: Audacity, Reaper, Mixcraft, Cubase LE, Sony Acid Studio, Cubase SX, Logic Pro, Cakewalk Sonar, Sony Acid Pro, Protools HD, Steinberg Nuendo.

Its the damn hardware that's expensive.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
Quote by vitchb
Normally i'd advice to dig deeper but an interface at the end of the day is always going to be better

Plenty to choose from, USB or firewire?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/m-audio_fast_track_usb.htm

Cheap USB option.

ok i'm going to sound stupid but what is firewire?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
ok i'm going to sound stupid but what is firewire?

Similar to USB, a data protocol... or in simpler terms, a type of interface (cable and plug) for your computer and hardware. Your computer may or may not have a Firewire port, but if it does, it works in a similar way to USB, just a bit faster and more reliable.

It's sometimes referred to on a computer port as IEEE-1934
Last edited by vitchb at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by vitchb
Similar to USB, a data protocol... or in simpler terms, a type of interface (cable and plug) for your computer and hardware. Your computer may or may not have a Firewire port, but if it does, it works in a similar way to USB, just a bit faster and more reliable.

It's sometimes referred to on a computer port as IEEE-1934

thanks a lot, and no flaming either...its a good day
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
thanks a lot, and no flaming either...its a good day

No worries, if UG were full of recording experts you probably would get flamed..seeing as the pit is so mean.

This site might be of some use, covers the basics of recording...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Follow the links for the categories on the left hand side. Good luck!
Quote by vitchb
No worries, if UG were full of recording experts you probably would get flamed..seeing as the pit is so mean.

This site might be of some use, covers the basics of recording...

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Follow the links for the categories on the left hand side. Good luck!

thanks guy, i done a tiny bit of recording before but as you'ld hear on my profile, not great quality
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by guitar-guy01
thanks guy, i done a tiny bit of recording before but as you'ld hear on my profile, not great quality

I had a listen, i like the TH's cover I'm hopefully seeing them this weekend
Quote by vitchb
I had a listen, i like the TH's cover I'm hopefully seeing them this weekend

thanks for that

are you? damn you're lucky
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!