I have been playing the guitar way too long to be playing a Squier Affinity Stratocaster (No offense to Squier owners.) So I have decided to build a Guitar.

My plans are the following:

I am going to be buying a loaded Fender 2009 American Standard Stratocaster body. I've seen these going for 499$ on the Buy Now button on eBay. I will then be buying a Scalloped "C" Maple Neck, one probably by Mighty Mite, the owner is willing to put any Major Logo on it, in this case the Fender American Strat logo. He will also put on my signature on the Ball of the headstock free of charge. This all costs 170$.

An American Strat Neckplate is around 30$ on eBay as well. Plus I will need some tuners, I was thinking some Grover tuners for 45$.

I plan on keeping the Middle Pickup, but changing the Neck to a Little 59'er and the Bridge to a JB Jr. Both are 75$ each, together it would be 150$. So all in total will be 895$

So what do you guys think of my plans? Also should I get the signature on the headstock or not? and what strings should I buy?

Thanks,

Lifelines
RIGG:

Squier "20th Anniversary" Stratocaster
Yamaha FCX720SCA Acoustic
Yamaha Classical CM40
Peavey Vypyr 30 Amplifier
That seems like a really cool idea, and get ur sig on it if you plan on having this guitar for the rest of ur life then it's truly "yours"

The build itself seems really solid, I hope it works out for you
Haha, I'm not sure if I will keep it forever, i'm not sure how its going to sound. I probably will get the signature though.

I think its a good idea, considering that a normal USA Standard is 1,200. I'm getting this baby for 895$. Plus the necks that this guy makes are amazing. My uncle has ordered plenty from this guy and says they have all been excellent.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Well I heard that it is harder to play on a scalloped neck, but bends and vibratos are played nicely on them.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Quote by LifeLines
Well I heard that it is harder to play on a scalloped neck, but bends and vibratos are played nicely on them.

I recommend you play one before you buy one. Feels like you're playing a damn harp.
Oh okay, I will try to find a normal Neck then.

Thanks Bobdetroit,

Lifelines
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Your plan sounds pretty good, you will be getting a very good quality guitar. Have you looked into warmoth though?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I have. I've also run into another problem. If I do buy from Warmoth, will they install the Headstock Logo's or will I have to do so myself. How do I do it?
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
i know you get killed on prices in canada, but can't you get a used MIA cheaper than that?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I would rather get everything new. Everything on eBay I am about to buy is brand spanking new. Plus a MIA Strat is 1,200US$ Supposedly.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
a used MIA is 1,200?

a mity mite neck is not to be compared to a fender neck.

imo, the neck's the most important part.

plus you're spending all that cash on pups but using a 30w modler amp.

old fender doesnt mean bad.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

A new MIA is 1,200$ US.

I want it brand new. I have seen, and played Mighty Mite necks and consider them quite well built.

I'm going to be selling my 30W to buy a Vypyr 60W Tube. I have been extremely impressed with the Vypyr amps, they sound great, and are LOUD.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
yep ok good luck then.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Thanks. Oh and by the way, I highly doubt your a sexy guitar player if you like pokemon... Just saying.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
yep, and now i've got to go trade some cards or whatever else it is we do.

just a suggestion. if you don't want the truth, then don't ask.

...just saying.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Jenny's right. You're going to pay a whole lot for a guitar and then play it through an amp that destroys a lot of the guitar's unique tone with the modeling software etc.

I think a much better use of that much cash would be a nice (used!) amp and a used MIM strat plus a setup and a pickup upgrade. The tone from that pair will be a lot better than what you're thinking of now.

Also, do you know how to set up a guitar once you've put the neck on? It's not like a lego set, you can't just bolt it on and expect it to play well.

Two comments you made lead me to believe that you're making very bad choices with your money:
-You're going to buy an american strat neckplate for $30. There is zero reason to pay that much for a neckplate; it's on the back of the damn instrument.
-You asked what strings to buy. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but people who know what they want in a guitar don't usually ask that question.
Quote by Roc8995
Jenny's right. You're going to pay a whole lot for a guitar and then play it through an amp that destroys a lot of the guitar's unique tone with the modeling software etc.

I think a much better use of that much cash would be a nice (used!) amp and a used MIM strat plus a setup and a pickup upgrade. The tone from that pair will be a lot better than what you're thinking of now.

Also, do you know how to set up a guitar once you've put the neck on? It's not like a lego set, you can't just bolt it on and expect it to play well.

Two comments you made lead me to believe that you're making very bad choices with your money:
-You're going to buy an american strat neckplate for $30. There is zero reason to pay that much for a neckplate; it's on the back of the damn instrument.
-You asked what strings to buy. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but people who know what they want in a guitar don't usually ask that question.

Anyone that asks about picks or strings is more of a forum user than a guitar player if you ask me.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by jj1565
a used MIA is 1,200?

a mity mite neck is not to be compared to a fender neck.

imo, the neck's the most important part.

plus you're spending all that cash on pups but using a 30w modler amp.

old fender doesnt mean bad.

Why can't you compare a mighty mite to a fender neck?

The problem with assembling a guitar from parts is that a guitar is more than the sum of its parts. Sometimes things just don't interact nicely, even if you picked the nicest neck, body, and hardware you could find. You won't know until you buy, assemble, and set up everything. It's a pretty big risk as opposed to just looking for a used/new one that feels great already and replacing the pickups.

That being said, I've played some amazing partcasters, but there have been an overwhelming amount of sub-par ones as well, just like all the mass-produced guitars out there.

Quote by tubetime86
Anyone that asks about picks or strings is more of a forum user than a guitar player if you ask me.

Good thing nobody asked, but nice to see people still pad their post-count with things like this
Quote by pak1351
Good thing nobody asked, but nice to see people still pad their post-count with things like this

Good thing I don't give two sh*ts about my post count. Believe me, there are more pressing measurements of my success or failure in life than how many posts I have here. Actually that is probably a good measurement of my failure, because I'm at work...

(Yes, one more.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Good thing I don't give two sh*ts about my post count. Believe me, there are more pressing measurements of my success or failure in life than how many posts I have here. Actually that is probably a good measurement of my failure, because I'm at work...

(Yes, one more.)

Just an underhanded way of saying if you don't have aenything to say, why post?

Bored at work works for me though, I'm in the same boat
I don't know dude. I know if it was me theres no way Id risk 800 or so bucks on all these guitar parts that might not even play as well once put together as a MIM strat. I'd reccomend finding a good used MIM strat (or new if your picky about it) and maybe throw in some locking tuners and new pickups (as with any strat that I'd ever buy now-a-days I'd block off the tremolo too. I'd love to find a HSS strat with some kind of crazy telecaster bridge. Would be awesome). You'll spend less and have just as good of a guitar (or better). Thats just me though and in the end you can do what you want.

Also, Nice choice on the 60 watt tube vypyr, I played one the other day, no one else in the store, cranked it up and it had some nice tone and a alot of punch to it. Unless your going to be playing for pretty large crowds, you could (probably, haven't played the smaller version) get away with the smaller version of that amp.
Quote by pak1351

Because being off topic is too ****ing awesome

Anyway ts listen to jj1565 and Roc8995 they speak works of wisdom far beyond your experience
Quote by pak1351

Ya, I don't even look at this site when I'm at home...

^^ You are very right. Especially the part about blocking trems. I hate the floating bridges on Strats, I wish they just came fixed.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Hey, Good idea building your own guitar. The title was a bit misleading though, I thought you were going to start from scratch. This would be considered more of a parts guitar. That isn't a bad thing by any means, As long as you know what you're doing I'm all for it.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by BobDetroit
I recommend you play one before you buy one. Feels like you're playing a damn harp.

I like playing harps!
Quote by LifeLines
I have been playing the guitar way too long to be playing a Squier Affinity Stratocaster (No offense to Squier owners.) So I have decided to build a Guitar.

My plans are the following:

I am going to be buying a loaded Fender 2009 American Standard Stratocaster body. I've seen these going for 499$ on the Buy Now button on eBay. I will then be buying a Scalloped "C" Maple Neck, one probably by Mighty Mite, the owner is willing to put any Major Logo on it, in this case the Fender American Strat logo. He will also put on my signature on the Ball of the headstock free of charge. This all costs 170$.

An American Strat Neckplate is around 30$ on eBay as well. Plus I will need some tuners, I was thinking some Grover tuners for 45$.

I plan on keeping the Middle Pickup, but changing the Neck to a Little 59'er and the Bridge to a JB Jr. Both are 75$ each, together it would be 150$. So all in total will be 895$

So what do you guys think of my plans? Also should I get the signature on the headstock or not? and what strings should I buy?

Thanks,

Lifelines

Ever built, assembled, or set up a guitar from scratch before?

Just sayin'. It's harder than lego.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by pak1351
Why can't you compare a mighty mite to a fender neck?

The problem with assembling a guitar from parts is that a guitar is more than the sum of its parts. Sometimes things just don't interact nicely, even if you picked the nicest neck, body, and hardware you could find. You won't know until you buy, assemble, and set up everything. It's a pretty big risk as opposed to just looking for a used/new one that feels great already and replacing the pickups.

That being said, I've played some amazing partcasters, but there have been an overwhelming amount of sub-par ones as well, just like all the mass-produced guitars out there.

sorry, i went to bed after posting in here last night.

anyway, the guy has a fender avatar, and is going out of his way (neck plates and ink jets) to make it look like a fender.

there's no way it's going to be better to start with a never tried neck off of ebay.

not when there are a ton of quality used necks ripe for the picking.

come on. no way you'd do it either. be honest with the lad.

when you look thru the posts, you'll see i'm seriously trying to help him from making a mistake.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
sorry, i went to bed after posting in here last night.

anyway, the guy has a fender avatar, and is going out of his way (neck plates and ink jets) to make it look like a fender.

there's no way it's going to be better to start with a never tried neck off of ebay.

not when there are a ton of quality used necks ripe for the picking.

come on. no way you'd do it either. be honest with the lad.

when you look thru the posts, you'll see i'm seriously trying to help him from making a mistake.

Maybe, but if you get a guy selling them who's a luthier it could be better than some fender necks. I'd call them similar to most mim necks, meaning they may/may not need some work when you get them. But I agree, probably not the best choice. Partcasters are risky business when you're sourcing from the company, let alone from a dude on ebay.

Where is the op anyway?
Quote by pak1351

Where is the op anyway?

he's ignoring reason and making new threads about ink jetting and so on.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62