Poll: Is the pic band a good idea or not?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is the pic band a good idea or not?
Yes
1 2%
No
38 63%
Could fix somethings to make it better.
21 35%
Voters: 60.
Ok, so I was on MySpace, and randomly came across this add for something called a "Pic Band." To see what it is, look at the picture I am providing below.
Now this sort of looks like it could be handy to me because it bugs the crap out of me when I drop my pick.
But, this thing looks like it would probably be really uncomfortable, and wouldn't it get in the way when you are trying to palm mute?
it also looks like it could touch some strings and mute them on their own..
Now, I think its a good idea, but those pick's and the little connecting plastic strap look like the could be really uncomfortable and annoying..

but discuss the good and bad things about this thing.. im really curious to see what people think of it.

Last edited by FloppyPancake01 at Aug 5, 2009,
yes, saves you dropping picks
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Innovative idea. Poorly executed.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Wouldnt the strap rub against the strings and stop them from ringing as well?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
bad idea..itll just get in the way.......just do what the rest of us do and pick them up!! lazy!!
Quote by stroker93
That is the best deal I have EVER seen Loooza

^ yes, the best deal he has ever seen came from me!!! (Take it as you want!!! )

I LOVE THE VAMP LESTAT AND GUITARGUY01!!!
Why not just use one of those pics that go over your thumb.

You know, the ones banjo players used.

Problem solved without any strap needed.

Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Last edited by ScottElwood at Aug 5, 2009,
No, it will mute the strings and make palm muting harder.

If you want more grip on your pick try heating a knife and then carving little "grip" lines horizontal in it. But not on the tip, just where your finger is, this will dramatically increase grip
Thats as useful as anne frank's drumkit.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
the epitome of stupidity
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Dropping picks is a problem a lot of times for people. That looks like it could be an idea but besides the design flaws of getting in the way of palm muting, hitting strings, and such, I have another thing that would get in the way... picking it back up. Yes, thats right. When you drop it, you will have to fiddle around trying to grab it and get it in proper position in your fingers. If you just grab another from your mic stand you can get it in position a lot easier because you dont have a band connected to it and you dont have to try and grab the hanging pick from your wrist.

This was something I saw that seemed more efficient for the problem: http://www.guitarcenter.com/ZeroGravity-Orbit-Guitar-Pick-110100-i1123480.gc

The Mic Stand pick holder: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Wedgie-Mic-Stand-Pick-Holder-429042-i1134908.gc

You actually see tons of bands using mic stand pick holders. I could also think of someone attaching one of those normal pick holders to the back of the headstock somewhere with string or something. I'm assuming any adhesive would damage the coating/paint. Hmm...I might think of making a pick holder you can attach to the headstock or somewhere without the use of adhesive or attaching to the strings...
A much easier solution would be not to invest a lot of money in expensive picks. Then you would have no reason to save them because they didn't cost a lot of money to begin with. /sarcasm

I mean honestly, I only have one pick I hang on to - but Dimebag threw it off the stage in '96 and my now deceased father caught it and gave it to me. Any other pick isn't worth saving.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
This is like communisim.

Good idea, but it just doesn't work in practice
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Chaos Nil

This was something I saw that seemed more efficient for the problem: http://www.guitarcenter.com/ZeroGravity-Orbit-Guitar-Pick-110100-i1123480.gc

The Mic Stand pick holder: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Wedgie-Mic-Stand-Pick-Holder-429042-i1134908.gc

You actually see tons of bands using mic stand pick holders. I could also think of someone attaching one of those normal pick holders to the back of the headstock somewhere with string or something. I'm assuming any adhesive would damage the coating/paint. Hmm...I might think of making a pick holder you can attach to the headstock or somewhere without the use of adhesive or attaching to the strings...

Those Mic Stand holders are great, can be life saving when you're gigging, never have troubles of dropping picks myself though. But other guitarist of my band can't gig without them, drops them all the time
fingerpick
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Just drop the picks freely...
If you're playing a gig you're bound to have more . . .unless you aren't a douche like me who likes to throw them after use.

I personally would just flat out get a pick holder, but if they really wanted to design it better, they could make it so the strap that the band the pick is attached to is retractable.
The strap could retract into a padded housing either just on the bottom portion of the palm or on the back of the wrist and go through some kind of customized apparatus. Just throwing ideas out there......
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
looks like it would just get in the way, and even if it didn't it looks retarded
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808