...I don't re-oil it? I currently inly have basses with rosewood but am curious about ebony too.
I know it will affect the feel and tone slightly, but is the 'health' of my bass actually at stake?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Ive never damaged rosewood finderboard and i havent once treated it apart from a heavy dose of playing.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I don't believe so. Oiling the fretboard is more to improve the look of the fretboard than anything. I'd still recommend doing it, as it really does improve the color of the fretboard, especially for rosewood and other darker woods.
"Life is like a swimming pool, the longer you stay in, the more wrinkled you get."
it might crack a bit, I'd assume the frets would keep it from getting large. if the pressure to crack overrides the glue attaching it to the neck and the glue attaching it to the frets, you will have a problem.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
So for a lazy person with next to no money, how long would you guys recommend be the longest I could leave it before re-oiling it?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Unless you are one of those people who change their strings every decade, oil it when you change your strings. Unless you live in a really dry climate (like me) that will keep the wood oiled enough to avoid cracking etc.
I remember a thread like this waaay back in the day and I remember one opinion was to do it once about every 2 months, my personal is once every 6 months for moderate playing (3-4 if you play more frequently) though i suppose if you feel that you're that poor you could go about a year between oiling, though i don't recommend
Quote by anarkee
Unless you are one of those people who change their strings every decade, oil it when you change your strings. Unless you live in a really dry climate (like me) that will keep the wood oiled enough to avoid cracking etc.

Her opinioin quite works to...it's really up to you on how often you feel you need it
Quote by gilly_90
So for a lazy person with next to no money, how long would you guys recommend be the longest I could leave it before re-oiling it?

Considering a bottle of lemon oil only costs a few quid I don't think having next to no money is a really valid excuse for this one. Unless you are actually struggling to buy food and pay rent (in which case, stop paying for internet!) I'm sure you can afford to buy a bottle of oil.
Quote by thedonutman
Considering a bottle of lemon oil only costs a few quid I don't think having next to no money is a really valid excuse for this one. Unless you are actually struggling to buy food and pay rent (in which case, stop paying for internet!) I'm sure you can afford to buy a bottle of oil.

yeah lol, I should hopefully have a job soon anyway... *fingers crossed*
but yeah, I'm sure I can fork out a little on fretboard maintainance occasionally, just checking how occasionally.

EDIT: and does anyone know anything about soy bean wax or soy oil? Do these work too or should I just put some good old fashioned effort into finding some lemon oil?
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 5, 2009,
Hmm, I don't oil my fretboard. Is that bad? It's not crackin' on me yet, had it for like, 4 years!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
I have no idea on the other oils but i've never heard them mentioned so I'd stick to lemon oil. A bottle of lemon oil should last years if it's only used for fretboards.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
after reading that, sucks to be my instruments XD so in a few months when i change the strings (Its been 5 years, It'll hold out a few more months! lol) Can u jsut use any oils? Cuz i always see mama using this lemon cleaning oil on our wood tables, would that work?
Try adding more delay.
Last edited by telecastrmastr at Aug 6, 2009,
Boiled linseed oil ftw. Cleans everything on your bass, guitar, or any other instrument made of wood. Leaves a nice shiny, protective coating, and (imho) makes plain rosewood boards feel smoother.
I say that, 'cos my ancient BC Rich's plain RW board has settled a little over the years, and the constant linseeding means I don't even feel the tiny little gaps in the grain!
Oh, and it's a fraction of the price of lemon oil and suchlike.
The only advantage of a synthetic fretboard, no oiling needed. the tone isn't that great though.
Quote by gilly_90

Every string change, so every month to 6 months, lemon oil isn't that expensive, like £5 a bottle and it lasts ages
and since when was it hard to find? every guitar shop has it, bar none.
Last edited by budget bassist at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by budget bassist
Every string change, so every month to 6 months, lemon oil isn't that expensive, like £5 a bottle and it lasts ages
and since when was it hard to find? every guitar shop has it, bar none.

Not everyone is in the same country you are
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Quote by telecastrmastr
Can u jsut use any oils? Cuz i always see mama using this lemon cleaning oil on our wood tables, would that work?

I don't know if you can use any oil, but that lemon oil stuff is what you're supposed to use, or at least thats what I was told to use
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.