hello, at the moment my setup is a bc rich warlock guitar through planet waves cable into pod x3 live, from pod x3 live 2 good quality speakers for left and right

now the speakers are use are really good, loud and clear, but im wondering, is it true dat if you output to an amp you will get a much better sound?

because wait a minute, pod x3 live is an multi effects processor that also models AMPS, so if thats the case why would it need another amp to get even better sound if it models already around 80 amps?

these are some recordings i done with pod x3 live with the setup stated above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Aq1YOgcYQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxygojHmAvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS1hNDVfIkg

now this is good for me, but not as good as i hear from bands, so what is it? is it my guitar thats not amazing? pod x3 live is definately amazing so it cant be the effects

so it must be the amp right?

plz write bak someone i rly need to know

thanks

to sumarise this question, i have wonderful speakers and wonderful effects, how would an amp improve anything for me?
Partly the guitar (maybe, not sure which warlock you have) and partly the amp. If you mean bands live that is. If you're comparing to studio sounds, you're probably hearing a mix of recordings from different heads and guitars for each track all meshed together, and probs some tinkering to the after recording.

A better amp will get you a better tone I would imagin, aslong as you dont get a modeling amp (they dont accept effects pedals well)
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
@pigeon
you say an amp would get you better tone, why is that?
is this because it has its own tones and effects?

because the pod x3 live models amps meaning it has tones and effects instead of an amp right?
I'm in sort of the same situation. I play through my Tascam USB mixer into Guitar Rig, and go out through there to an home stereo amp out to my Cerwin Vega's. I've tried going out from my mixer with the processed sound to my Yorkville 80W Bass amp but it doesn't sound as good as the Vega's, so I stick with them. With guitar rig, the pod, whatever, you are emulating the amp, the cabinets, micing of the cabinets, the whole chain and having a processed sound at the end, so going through another amp isn't going to sound the best. You could either stick with the hifi speakers or I would say get a powered PA speaker which will reproduce all the frequencies better or some powered studio monitors if you plan on mixing stuff.

If you wanted to use a guitar amp, you would either use the pod for a pedal board basically and turn off the amp modelling and cabinet modelling, otherwise I think its going to color the signal too much or distort it more, etc unless it was an extremely clean and neutral amp.

At least that's my 2 cents. I'm not sure at the moment which way I want to go. I don't ever plan on playing live, its a hobby only, so I don't need a huge amp. I love mixing stuff and recording, so going direct to pc seems like a better choice than having a huge pedal board through a tube amp, which I can't crank anyways, just to mic it and record it to pc anyways. Then all your effects and tone are recording wet and there is no changing them. I guess it all depends on what you want. I'm thinking of getting a Pod UX2 so I track some guitar and vocals and record direct to pc, but whats best to put at the end of the chain for listening, i'm not sure. I don't have a PA to test out, but I wouldn't mind getting some powered mixing monitors and just use those.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
It depends on how you use the POD. To use it with a guitar amp, you need to run it into the FX return and turn the cab simulation off.

If you use it with a keyboard amp or PA, you leave cabsim on, because full range speakers will sounds very fizzy with it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
hmm so it is what i thought it was
amps are just speakers plus effects
so i think its the guitar that i need for clarity
but for example, im covering this song called full nelson and i got the official band score for it, now im playing the harmonics bit, but the button two strings F# anf F# (yes both of the fat strings are at same pitch) and they just dont sound so low as they do in the official song, so could it be in the mix that its actually a different guitar thats over it or something
hmmmm
:/
I may be mistaken, but its also because the pod only simulates the tone, its not the actual tone, if you see what I mean? So it wont sound quite as good as the actual head its modeled from. So its great for versitility and at bed room levels, but large scale, you're probably going to want to use the pod just for effects and get a head+cab/combo amp.

The low bit could also be because Wes from limp bizkit had a special guitar built, with the bottom string replaced with a bass string. So the bottom string on his is one octave below the F# on yours
Atomic Reactor amps are specifically designed to amplify digital modelling pre-amps. They have a valve power amplifier section but don't color the tone, so gives your tone that organic warmth of a valve amplifier, other than have the responsiveness of an amp over a PA.

I've considered getting one to go along my Vox Tonelab, if I can keep on getting good tones from it. I think they're a good bet if you like the tone you get from your modeller but still want a bit of that valve amp goodness.

Good luck
oh yeah i did read that wed has bass on lowest strings instead of normal hmmmm, he has loads guitar so hard to know wats goin on, lol, now the thing is, pod x3 live emulates like 80 amps, why would you need that many amp emulations, because they all sound so different?
now does that mean some people have that many real amps?
**** that in my opinion

i have no idea what to do if i really should buy an amp and if it would really improve things
:/
hmmm
Quote by dareheaven
@Whiskky
could you explain what a valve amp does?

It's the same as tube, we just call it valve over here. I'm assuming you know the difference between a tube amp and a solid-state amp here.
Quote by Whiskky
It's the same as tube, we just call it valve over here. I'm assuming you know the difference between a tube amp and a solid-state amp here.

no i dont know much about amps, all i know is dat an amp is speakers plus effects
You can just get different sounds out of a head than what is being modeled. Some amps are more versatile than others, and they are worth the money to get the tone they offer (if its the tone you're looking for). Someone with more experice with heads and combos will explain it better.

A valve amp (or tube amp) is an amp that uses valves/tubes to amplify the singal. Most higher end heads/combos are valve amps
Those Atomic reactor amps look interesting. I'm so confused on what direction I want to do with gear next. I'm not a tone *****, I just like playing. If it sounds close to the original, I'm happy. I like playing with backing track or my own beats and stuff, and none of those sound good coming out a guitar cab.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
i still dont know then, so an amp = speakers + effects
correct?
or is there more to it?
Quote by dareheaven
no i dont know much about amps, all i know is dat an amp is speakers plus effects

Ok, so take a look through this post (from this thread, if you want to look further into it) to learn a bit more about different types of amp.
Not all amps come with effects, usualy only modeling amps (if thats the correct name).

Most come with a 3 band EQ, volume, and gain.

*edit*

Whiskky's link sums it all up nicely
@pigeonmafia
thanks alot for reminding me about the bottom bass string, wes uses that guitar, 3 guitar strings and 1 bass string on a few songs dont he, eg full nelson, that was the main problem i was having, i was thinking, why does it sound so light compared to the original song
and @ whisky, thanks a million for those links, will read eventually as theres ALOT to read
Anytime
guys a question, im using a normal 6 string guitar, it wont matter if i change the bottom string to bass for one song then change the normal string back after will it?
still easy to reuse right?

thanks
Quote by dareheaven

An amp is not speakers plus effects. It's a dedicated instrument amplifier (consisting of a preamp, which shapes tone and drives the signal) and a power amp (which actually amplifies the signal), most often in one package that then sends the amplified signal to a speaker or speaker cabinet, which allows you to hear it.

You're actually getting a decent amp sound from your POD, but you could upgrade the guitar's pickups as there is an issue with clarity. Unless you plan on playing in a band setting, your POD is fine.

No... You can't put bass strings on a regular guitar. They're too thick. If you're lacking punch or body to the tone either add a subwoofer to your speaker system or turn up the midrange on your tone controls.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 5, 2009,
@Shinozoku
my pod x3 live emulates the amps itself so adding an actual amp would make any difference?
Quote by dareheaven
@Shinozoku
my pod x3 live emulates the amps itself so adding an actual amp would make any difference?

From what I've been reading, keyboard amps works good for this type of setup as they are very clean, produce decent hi's and low's, and don't distort at higher levels, which you want from a guitar amp, except when you're emulating an amp.
Vox AD30VT-XL

Guitar Rig 3
The PodXT is only a preamp/preamp modeler
a tube poweramp section will make it sound better
sorry if this has been mentioned already

EDIT: in other words, it will sound good through an amp but the amp cannot have a preamp already it must be only a poweramp + cab
Last edited by MLilienthal at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by dareheaven
guys a question, im using a normal 6 string guitar, it wont matter if i change the bottom string to bass for one song then change the normal string back after will it?
still easy to reuse right?

thanks

Yes, the bass string will be too large for the nut so you would have to file the nut slit on the 6th string, which would then cause problems when you put the smaller standard 6th string back through