I'm planning to get a new guitar for when i go to University and i realised that in all my 4 years of playing i've never played a Strat that was worth any money. I've played really crappy Behringer one's that my school owns and that's it. What GOOD strats cn you get for let's say £500. I will probably have more than this to spend but i want some cheaper options. Max i could stretch to is £750. Also, what differences are there between the Telecaster and Strat?
any of fenders american made guitars are incredible to play

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by timzee117
any of fenders american made guitars are incredible to play

This. But if you can stretch it then maybe even the American Deluxe models
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Quote by EMGs_rule
Quote by jgbsmith
why would you want to put the bitrate down?
to make it smaller without hearing any change in quality that the human ear can detect?
Does not compute for the audiophile

Follow me on Twitter...or else!
tons of differences between the tele and strat...you really should try both
Quote by willT08
Which Strat's are American made? Like, how can you tell? <<< Fender newb

The ones that say "Made in the USA"
They say "American" on the tag. Also, on the headstock, it doesn't say Made In Mexico or Made in ________ (other country).
Lol, duh. Okay, also, are Fat Strats the ones where you can throw in a Humbucker at the bridge? If so, which ones are any good?
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
They say "American" on the tag. Also, on the headstock, it doesn't say Made In Mexico or Made in ________ (other country).

Another way to tell is the tag also says $1000. or more...
Save the extra 50 pounds and get this

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/product/34692-fender-american-standard-stratocaster-olympic-white-maple.html

As far as needing a fat strat for the humbucker in the bridge, you can get a pickguard that will accomodate the humbucker, or get a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails, which is what I did. It's a stacked humbucker that fits in single coil slots.
Last edited by Perp8tualMotion at Aug 5, 2009,
That looks really nice. Thing is, i think i might need a Fat Strat for a warmer tone. What i'm aiming for is the Warmth of a Les Paul mixed with the brightness of the highs on a Strat. Surely a Fat Strat would achieve this.
It sounds very good. It's a little more transparent than a normal humucker, but not by much.

I've had no issues getting crunch out of it at all. When I need something thicker or 'beefier' - even a bit more mellow, I just roll the tone off a bit on the guitar.
Last edited by Perp8tualMotion at Aug 5, 2009,
Awesome. This might be the way to go. Thanks for your help, i just need to get my hands on one now and try it out.
No problem. I hated strats until I played the one I now own. Every other one felt awful to me. Before this I was pretty exclusively an Ibanez guy. (Not to say I don't still love my S and RG.)
Quote by kook as kashmir
This. But if you can stretch it then maybe even the American Deluxe models

i love the feel of mine, but after having it for 2 years its time for a pickup change

amazing guitar though

edit:

im not implying that pickups go bad nor that your gonna want to change the pickups if you buy the guitar. im just saying i want pickups that will compliment my amp nicer

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last edited by timzee117 at Aug 6, 2009,
Used MiJ (Made in Japan)
they're real good. Some say they are equal or better than some MiA strats
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
I really dont think the deluxe is even necessary. you dont get more guitar for the money just a button that changes the sound slightly. shop used, shop international. the japan 68 reissue has a super thin neck. ebay, ebay, ebay
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
At £500 new you'll be looking at the higher end Mexican made models such as the Classic Player 50s/60s, Deluxe Player and Lonestar strats - or the lower end 'American' Highway One series.
The Classic Players especially are regarded as very good guitars while the Highway Ones divide opinion. The H1s are more suited to higher gain playing though.

If you go used you should be able to get American standards and deluxes if you stretch a bit. The deluxe models are worth looking at atm as the regular SSS model can be found for only £50-100 more than a sunburst standard. The HSS deluxe is a little more pricey.

I don't think the Japanese instruments are as common in the UK (I assume you are since you used £ but if you can find one definitely check it out. They're usually made from basswood which will give a different tone to the regular alder or ash.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Last edited by pEdAl2 at Aug 6, 2009,
I'm not sure what the used market value for strats is like overseas, but you can find some great deals, used. I got a mint American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster for $700, and I see American standards going from $500 to $600 on craigslist all the time.

It's also worth your while to look at made in Japan strats. They are meant to be very good, as well, but I've never tried one.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I think the Strat idea is my best bet. What i might do is pick up a nice SSS model and then eventually replace the bridge and neck with Hot Rails or whatever they're called after i upgrade my amp. What's the best i could get for a little less than the American Standard?
The best strat i've played, and i bought it, was a road worn.. It's not because it's worn, its the neck, the fee, the soundl.

And i've played some ass expensive american strats too..