Page 5 of 36
Mark, I finally can open your clips, and i really like the riffs, and the tone especially and the mixing is great too. Nice job.

Also, BurnTheDusk, you will NOT regret the Vetta

By the way, I just bought a small ass $70 interface to use on my Windows laptop for impulses and VSTs. Finally. Expect some tone Tests, and a ****LOAD of more recordings with my new drum program. I literally have a huge list of songs I want to do
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
OK, I recorded a song today and it turned out great, except for one, huge, HUGE problem. I have no ****ing idea why its doing it. There a huge bass spikes all over the place on the guitar tracks. Like, the spikes are so loud its not even funny. I;d REALLY like to know what caused this, and how to fix this without rerecording. It sounded fine cmoing out of my amp. No bass spikes at all. There is some compression on it, but that didnt do ****. Please help me out. The link for the song is below.

http://www.filedropper.com/zxhbfgx
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
OK, I recorded a song today and it turned out great, except for one, huge, HUGE problem. I have no ****ing idea why its doing it. There a huge bass spikes all over the place on the guitar tracks. Like, the spikes are so loud its not even funny. I;d REALLY like to know what caused this, and how to fix this without rerecording. It sounded fine cmoing out of my amp. No bass spikes at all. There is some compression on it, but that didnt do ****. Please help me out. The link for the song is below.

http://www.filedropper.com/zxhbfgx

Is there a bass guitar? There's definitely some low end out of control. Can't really fix it...but a multiband compressor on those low frequencies might help tame it. Use CurveEQ to figure out which frequencies are out of control, and compress those frequencies.

Alternatively, try cutting them. It sounds like they're out of control all the time, and the spikes coincide with the palm mutes and low notes.

I like the riffs and EQing!

WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 26, 2009,
^Mark, I've tried compressing, EQing, I've tried everything. I think its my guitar. The only time it occurs is when I palm mute anywhere near the 7th fret. I think its my pickups. Ive tried raising my Low E string, which helped a lot, but didnt fix it. There is no bass guitar in there. I have the whole song finished; bass and drums, but I wanted to see if anyone could fix just the guitars
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Wow, that bass was out of whack. Disturbed, when your recording, what amp model are you using?
^I've been doing the same exact thing as all my other recordings. 5150 and Triple Rec. I can hear it when I play through my amp too, but when I record it magnifies it x10. I just tried it on my other guitar. Same problem I've noticed it alot on my guitar for the past few weeks, but It never showed up in recording before.

WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON :
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
if you are recording with a mic it could be a weird room acoustics problem, but if you go with the line out, then i have no idea what it can be :S
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

^I'm not sure. I'll check a little later, but from what I noticed, its just palm muting on the 7-10th frets
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
What changed between now and when you didn't have the problem?
WTLTL 2011
wet speakers?

Edit: I just re-read that it happens on both guitars.
Are both guitars also stored in basement?
What temp is it down there?

bowed necks and soggy speakers =

jk - I have no clue just guessing because I'm bored.
Quote by Mark G
What changed between now and when you didn't have the problem?

Absolutley nothing.

311: Everything is in the basement. I was thinking neck warpage?

EDIT: Mark G, I'm not happy with my avatar. Mind If I use your old Disturbed one?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Last edited by DiSTuRBeD -26- at Aug 26, 2009,
^visit the OP on The Only Set Up Q n A Sticky over in EG and see if you can figure it out using those guides. I'd be hard pressed to type all that out now. Then you can use process of elimination.

Do you have a humidity gage somewhere in the house?
Get a de-humidifier? Sorry. I'm ahead of myself again
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Absolutley nothing.

311: Everything is in the basement. I was thinking neck warpage?

EDIT: Mark G, I'm not happy with my avatar. Mind If I use your old Disturbed one?

Press down the low E string at the first and last fret, and check the space between the string and the 7th fret. If thats between 1 and 2 mm. its fine, and no neck warpage.

Active pickups? Swap battery. Also try decreasing the pickup height, might be a problem with magnetics.

*edit*

Feel free, you can use it. Thanks for asking You can use the disturbed one, I'll use the disturbing one.
WTLTL 2011
I'll check the warpage thing, but I have a theory:

I hadnt recorded anything for a while. Then we had a flood in my basement. That is the ONLY thing that has changed since my last recording. I just turned a bigass dehumidifier on high in the room and we'll see if that works.

Mark: Thanks
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Hopefully you can figure out what the problem is Disturbed! I want to hear that list of songs

Anyway, remember the MyDrumset thing? I finally got some of the drums to play, but there were no crashes or anything, so

I found another VSTi called... DSX Drumz Acousticz? It's in R&R's Drum program thread. I think its pretty sweet, although somewhat limited. I've managed to get some good tones out of it with just exporting the GP midi files; well good for being free. It's a whole lot easier exporting midi files I already have made than spending an hour or two making patterns for Beatcraft.
I'll try to record something tomorrow, and see what you all think.

Mark, that last clip you put up sounded really good. Very nice mix and guitar tone. Are you using the ENGL in that?
^I never looked real hard into the MyDrumset thing........

because now I have Steven Slate Drums LE
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by dudey5691
Hopefully you can figure out what the problem is Disturbed! I want to hear that list of songs

Anyway, remember the MyDrumset thing? I finally got some of the drums to play, but there were no crashes or anything, so

I found another VSTi called... DSX Drumz Acousticz? It's in R&R's Drum program thread. I think its pretty sweet, although somewhat limited. I've managed to get some good tones out of it with just exporting the GP midi files; well good for being free. It's a whole lot easier exporting midi files I already have made than spending an hour or two making patterns for Beatcraft.
I'll try to record something tomorrow, and see what you all think.

Mark, that last clip you put up sounded really good. Very nice mix and guitar tone. Are you using the ENGL in that?

I'm using EZ drummer with the expansions atm...its EZ! And sounds good enough for my purposes.

You mean the disturbed playalong? Yeah I layered my ENGL over the original guitars. All the fizz you hear is the original disturbed guitars. If you don't believe it, check the guides in the first posts of this thread. I used sound clips with just my guitars to help explain tracking and panning.

Or did you mean the backing track I did for backingtrackband? Yeah thats all my guitars with my new 7 string

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^that's kinda freaky with Mark's old avatar. I'm going to do a double take now everytime you post

I thought this might happen
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 27, 2009,
Quote by Mark G
I'm using EZ drummer with the expansions atm...its EZ! And sounds good enough for my purposes.

You mean the disturbed playalong? Yeah I layered my ENGL over the original guitars. All the fizz you hear is the original disturbed guitars. If you don't believe it, check the guides in the first posts of this thread. I used sound clips with just my guitars to help explain tracking and panning.

Or did you mean the backing track I did for backingtrackband? Yeah thats all my guitars with my new 7 string

I meant the backing track one
That new 7-string sounds awesome, though!

Any idea if there is a drum program that readily accepts Guitar Pro midi? I've been reading, and EZ and AddictiveDrum are supposed to, but I can only test Addictive.

I put up a quick test on my profile of just the drums. It's really limited, so I'm still looking for other options... but, what do you guys think?

*EDIT*
I just downloaded the Addictive Drums demo, and it fits what I need. Too bad it costs $200.
The demo sounds good enough, though... so...
Last edited by dudey5691 at Aug 27, 2009,
OK guys, my bass spikes are fixed for the most part. It was the humidity o.0 I have a new clip up to celebrate. Its called Say Goodnight. First time recording some cleans.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
OK like I said, I fixed the bass spikey thing, so I fixed the song I had the problems with. The new clip (again) is called Believe. Give 'er a listen if you got the chance.

EDIT: When the distorted rhythm comes in on Say Goodnight (my earlier clip) you think it sounds mushy, ignore it. I htink I accidently used the neck pickup
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Last edited by DiSTuRBeD -26- at Aug 27, 2009,
DiSTuRBeD - I just listened bro.

I got bad news.....

Now I know how much I suck

Seriously, nice work

Say Goodnight had a lot of atmosphere. Good timing, solo, mixing etc.

Believe - pretty dead on. There was a lot of bass in your clip (in a good way) and you def fixed your bass problem.

Did you double track any of that, especially Believe? Very full sounding. That's the sound I want.

Are you serious. The dehumidifier did the trick huh? Do you think it was the speakers or the guitar neck or both or what?

Hey - what happened to your other Disturbed songs? Put those back up!

Edit:
dudey: Thanks man. I apprectiate it.

311: THanks man. I took down Indestructible and Inside the Fire cuz they sucked I'm gonna redo them. Next clip (tomorrow) This Is Absolution

all I did for my guitars, was double track; 100L/100R. The most important part is EQing. The tone on my covers sound COMPLETELY different in person. My Stricken tone sounds like complete **** in person. But when recorded, it is godly. You have to EQ to how it will sound after recording.

Thanks again for all the comments guys

Also, I think it was a bit of everything. Speakers and strings. Got some .11-.50 boomers to put on. PERFECT gauge for Drop c/ D standard.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Last edited by DiSTuRBeD -26- at Aug 28, 2009,
i want some advice on the tone in one of my recordings.
just the lead guitar sounds are all im concerned about.
its in my profile and called new song (demo w/guitar)

when i made it into an mp3, for some reason in made the reverb crazy on the lead guitar, so just ignore that lol.

thats for your help.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Mark, you said I should get a mix with guitar/bass up with the drum VSTi, so I put two up.

They are the 'AddictiveDrumDemoTest' clips, and only have post EQ on the guitar (I'm using my RP80 ). I just learned the parts of the songs at 3/4 speed last night, so be gentle.

How do the drums sound in a mix?
How do the guitars sound? This is probably my college setup..

Thanks for the comments. Mark, i agree with you on Say Goodnight. I thought it sounded like something was missing, guess its volume

This Is Absolution should be done tonight. I got Left Rhythm done, and half of right rythm. Then I just need bass.

EDIT: Dudey I thought the drums sounded awesome, but not for that kind of music. Those would DESTROY in metal though.

chea_man: I would comment, but I dont play that kind of music :/
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Last edited by DiSTuRBeD -26- at Aug 28, 2009,