I play a ****load of metal so thats the main concern. I like really fat, bassy snares and really tight, but big sounding kicks. Cymbals, I know what I really want, bbut I just dont know how to explain it :/

I was looking at the Drumkit from Hell. Is that anygood? I was also MAYBE considering stretching my budget to $200 to get Addictive Drums, but thats only if there is absolutely NOTHNG that compares to it under $150

Thanks
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Have you checked out ezdrummer? its a pretty good program that i use frequiently. its 150 dollars.
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
K so any reccomendations

Well i mean you have a few options. You can get EZdrummer and DFH should be roughly 200$. Addictive drums to me sound really distinctive and i can usually tell its them (this is also the case with EZdrummer and DFH so be aware) I have BFD lite but havent listened to it enough to really get a feel for it. Theres also steve slate drums which have a very good rep. I personnally use Superior Drummer 2.0 and imo its the best sampler on the market. Really nice drum sounds and assloads of ambience mics to blend in, this is kinda the standard in realistic drums. they also have the metal foundry pack with 35 GB's of sounds and the lost studios part 2(i recommend if you want really nice sounds you get an external hardrive as not to clog up your standard one) But SD2.0 is kind of expensive so i say get EZdrummer and DFH if you want then upgrade to SD2.0 at a later date, dont worry you can keep all the kits and even combine them with x-drums. if you want to hear some samples used by an amateur (me) then i can pm you a link to my song and you can listen to the drums. i have one with DFH and another with Superior drummer 2.0. Also dont staright out torrent the software, if you want try each one for a couple days, ok. But then buy the one you like the most.
^Wait.. you need EZ drummer to use DFH?? If so, I'd just get Addictive Drums, because it sounds better IMO. I have heard SD2.0 in action, and holy ****. Its awesome. How much is it? $3-400? **** that

I saw those Steve Slate drums. What are those all about?

Thanks for the help
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
I would just get a multisampler plugin and a bunch of various sampler sets, it's more work to use than something like EZDrummer, but cheaper (you can get multisamplers and samples for free) and is a lot more versatile, the biggest problem with stuff like EZDrummer is that they process the crap out their samples which severely limits your tone shaping options.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^Wait.. you need EZ drummer to use DFH?? If so, I'd just get Addictive Drums, because it sounds better IMO. I have heard SD2.0 in action, and holy ****. Its awesome. How much is it? $3-400? **** that

I saw those Steve Slate drums. What are those all about?

Thanks for the help

theyre 299$ which isnt too bad, but i pretty much sold all of videogames,br-600, and a bass pedal to get SD2.0,DFH, and alesis trigger i/0. Fair trade (although im bored as s*** on my 360, all i can play is battlefield 1943) Also if Cataharis says steven slate drums are good theyre prob pretty damn good. although im sticking with my superior
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I would just get a multisampler plugin and a bunch of various sampler sets, it's more work to use than something like EZDrummer, but cheaper (you can get multisamplers and samples for free) and is a lot more versatile, the biggest problem with stuff like EZDrummer is that they process the crap out their samples which severely limits your tone shaping options.

you beat me to it. only problem is that i dont know how hard it is to set velocity layer on a sampler (I jsut started using short circuit sampler and if your good with sampling i could use some help)
it depends on the sampler. some of them (like NI Battery) make it really easy, some that are modeled on oldschool hardware make it pretty difficult, I've never used short circuit though, it should say in the manual/help file exactly how to do it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
OK guys, thanks for all the help. Which Steve Slate drums should I be looking at? I saw two of them.

Do I need EZ Drummer for DFH to work??
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
OK guys, thanks for all the help. Which Steve Slate drums should I be looking at? I saw two of them.

Do I need EZ Drummer for DFH to work??

you do require EZdrummer or SD2.0 do use DFH. Im lstening to some steven slate drums and they seem pretty good. i ttink when you buy their packages it comes with a number of kits and drum sets. the sounds are really good but the snare on some of the kits just sound bad imo. overall i actually think the steven slate LE edition would be perfect for you. 150$ and it comes with a decent amount of kits.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Steven-Slate-Drums-SIGNATURE-DRUM-KITS-LE?sku=450869
SD2.0 overall i think is more realistic but its quite a bit more expensive and the steven slate drums seem pretty nice. also they only have 5 velocity layers as opposed to SD2.0 having 25 velocity layers with 15 samples in each (i may have these numbers mixed up, but its a consiebrally higher amount of samples) for you, SS drums are prob the best, unless you really want SD2.0 in the future, then i'd say start out with EZdrummer. Also Slate drums dont have custom mapping so its only made for Roland V-drums, but im sure theirs some workarounds. those snares with no velocity are killing me, but for metal it should be ok, as you want a really consistent snare.
Well, I really do want SD2.0 I'd probably just get Addictvie Drums for now. But SD2.0 sounds really sick, but its not necessary.

Also, is AD a standalone program or a plugin? And does it support General Midi? Like if I wanted to import a GP drum track would I have to switch a bunch of **** around?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Well, I really do want SD2.0 I'd probably just get Addictvie Drums for now. But SD2.0 sounds really sick, but its not necessary.

Also, is AD a standalone program or a plugin? And does it support General Midi? Like if I wanted to import a GP drum track would I have to switch a bunch of **** around?

Yea when i first got SD2.0 i was really stoked. Also im doing some research on addictive drums for ya. as of now i think its only a plug in, yea its only a plug in. i think you can drag and drop the midi files in. also curious if you gave the slate drums a listen? right now my ocmp is running a virus scan so i cant do anything but slowly browse the web. man i really want to get so much more cash. the two expansions for SD2.0 look so sick.
Thanks man. No, I didnt give Slate a listen yet. You think the $150 will be worth it? Would it be better than Addictive?

Thanks again for all the help
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Thanks man. No, I didnt give Slate a listen yet. You think the $150 will be worth it? Would it be better than Addictive?

Thanks again for all the help

no problem man. well im gonna listen to both and compare them side by side. if you get slate drums you d save 50$ which you could either pocket or get a korg nanopad to make programming drums easier/funner/more realistic.
http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfriend.com/product/Korg-Nano-PAD?sku=703402

also on further inspection if you get the nanopad it comes with EZdrummer lite, which i know nothing about, but i assume its EZdrummer cept none of the extra drums/mixer options. this could be another possibliity for you. as for slate drums vs. addictive, id have to say slate, jsut for the fact it has SO many drums for 150$, although imo addictive drums are a bit better. the downside of slate though is that damn snare, although listening to it now its not that bad, jsut a downside.

EDIT:http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=56
heres the link for the le edition of slate. the mettalica and dream theater kit seem perfect fo what you want and LE comes with those.
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/
on the front page they have audio demos. give the dream theater set a listen. i really like the kick on it and the snare is one of the better ones. click on 23 on the solo drum column.
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Aug 6, 2009,
OK, gave them a listen. I REALLY liked everything except, like you siad, the snare. I gave Addictive Drums a listen and I like everything about it

I just gotta decide. I think AD is gonna be it though.

Thanks for all the help man
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
OK, gave them a listen. I REALLY liked everything except, like you siad, the snare. I gave Addictive Drums a listen and I like everything about it

I just gotta decide. I think AD is gonna be it though.

Thanks for all the help man

yea AD is pretty overall quality imo, but slate is more bang for your buck. both good choices. also if you still are in the ezdrummer realm the nanopad wouldnt be such a bad choice.
^You sure? I didnt like the Slate Snare at all. Any chance you got some clips of Slate in action Ryan?

Also, AD can import GP midi files which is a HUGE plus for me.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Ok guys, listening to the clips again, I've changed my mind. I want Slate I REALLY liked the Cracky Metal Kit, Big Fatty Dry, Sizzle, and Moderrn Rock kits.

Just one thing, and this could determine whether or not I get Slate or not:

Can it open Guitar Pro Drum midi files without ANY moving midi notes around or editing in any way?

Addictive can, with this little program I saw on guitarampmodeling.com

Can Slate?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Ok guys, listening to the clips again, I've changed my mind. I want Slate I REALLY liked the Cracky Metal Kit, Big Fatty Dry, Sizzle, and Moderrn Rock kits.

Just one thing, and this could determine whether or not I get Slate or not:

Can it open Guitar Pro Drum midi files without ANY moving midi notes around or editing in any way?

Addictive can, with this little program I saw on guitarampmodeling.com

Can Slate?

guitar pro drum files are just regular midi files, unless addictive takes the full on GP5 files. anyways for any drum sampler it should take standard midi files. ill tell you what i do in reaper for drum midi files. first i write my whole song in GP5,guitars,bass,drums, everything. i then export the midi file of my song and save it in a folder somewhere. i then open reaper (most daws should be able to do this as reaper is a measly 60$) and just drop in the midi file. it will ask if you want to take the tempo and make a track for all the midi tracks. say yes for both and you have all the midis there. then just go under fx for the percussion midi track and select slate/whatever drum sampler. then it should play your drums. you can either delete the other tracks or put over some fx so you have something to play to besides drums. this technique gives you drums and your tempo map for the whole song (which is really sick especially for songs with lots of time/tempo changes) sorry for all of this text but it just shows how to upload midi that any drum sampler should read. also im curious if you liked the dream theater kit. it to me was one of the better ones. and the dry metal kit.

P.S. also make sure when you program drums that 42 i believe is closed highhat, for a long time i was doing 44 which is just the hi hat click with the foot.
^Yes I LOVED the Dry MEtal kit. I liked the Dream Theatre, but it just want what I was after

Also, for the MIDI thing, did you write your drums (in GP5) in the standard GP5 format, or did you have to write it in a different format for that drum machine?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^Yes I LOVED the Dry MEtal kit. I liked the Dream Theatre, but it just want what I was after

Also, for the MIDI thing, did you write your drums (in GP5) in the standard GP5 format, or did you have to write it in a different format for that drum machine?

i jsut write everything in GP5, guitars,bass,synths, drums w/e. then jsut export the midi. if you jsut have drums in the gp5 file then still just export the midi. . all you do is take the midi from gp5. any drum sampler should be able to play midi files. also not to confuse you but if you have a whole mix on gp5 and you want *just* the drums, solo the drums and that seems to work, although i think its better to just take all the midi.

EDIT: if you mean midi numbers i use
35 for bass drum (36 works too)
38 for snare
42 close high hat
46 open hh
49 crash
51 ride
etc... just general midi numbers as in programming drums in guitar pro.
Last edited by MetalBass 77 at Aug 7, 2009,
superior drummer is great have a look at it
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club