So, the ABR bridge on my SG has decided to rip apart it's holes- it wobbles, sinks into the wood and is generall useless.
Now, I want sturdiness and stability, so I think a Nashville bridge with bushings would be better.

Is it possible to make this modification fairly easily??
If not, how should I repair the holes? Filling it with matchsticks probably won't do.

Thanks!
Quote by the1
So, the ABR bridge on my SG has decided to rip apart it's holes- it wobbles, sinks into the wood and is generall useless.
Check for termites. This doesn't "just happen".

Quote by the1
Now, I want sturdiness and stability, so I think a Nashville bridge with bushings would be better.

Is it possible to make this modification fairly easily??
If not, how should I repair the holes? Filling it with matchsticks probably won't do.

Thanks!
Drill the holes oversized. Dowel them. Drill holes the size needed.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
What's Doweling?? IS it when you fill it and then screw it in??

I don't think it's termites. The holes aren't massively torn apart- just enough so that the bridge easily moves. However, it's an old SG- 72, so who knows.....

Would you reccomend doing this conversion?? I want extra travel for intonation also, so Nashville seems the way to go.
Quote by the1
What's Doweling?? IS it when you fill it and then screw it in??
Dowels:

Quote by the1
I don't think it's termites. The holes aren't massively torn apart- just enough so that the bridge easily moves. However, it's an old SG- 72, so who knows.....
I don't think it's termites either. It's just that the only major force on the posts is straight down. Someone has been messing around with those bridge posts and screwed it up.

Quote by the1
Would you reccomend doing this conversion?? I want extra travel for intonation also, so Nashville seems the way to go.
Shouldn't be necessary. If the bridge posts are located properly, you should have enough range with an ABR-1. But if you wanna buy a Nashville, why not?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Ahh, so do you think I could buy a dowl small enough for these ABR posts?? I forget the actual measurement.

The only issue then is that the saddles are worn (bone ones- hard to come buy), so I may end up putting a dowl in and then buying a gotoh replacement (they do an ABR style that is as wide as a nashville bridge). This seem like the best idea?
Quote by the1
Ahh, so do you think I could buy a dowl small enough for these ABR posts?? I forget the actual measurement.
I don't think you're grasping the concept here. Doesn't really matter what size dowel you use as long as it is sufficiently bigger than the post. Then drill new holes in the dowel.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Oh, I get you. The scratchplate would cover it up, so I suppose the looks wouldn't matter- I would just have to locate the exact place to put the poles.

Best dowel material?
If it were me I'd use Mahogany because that's what the bodies made out of. But I'm not sure that it's the most structurally sound material. I'd wait for more knowledgeable people to post.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Well,if you've only just discovered what a dowel is,and your doin up a 72 SG,you might wanna take it to a luthier.This is the kind of thing you don't wanna **** up.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
Well,if you've only just discovered what a dowel is,and your doin up a 72 SG,you might wanna take it to a luthier.This is the kind of thing you don't wanna **** up.

I agree, shouldn't be too costly, it's not a massive job.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by Ian hawkins

Well, on this occasion I will probably just consult my Dad- he's good with tools.