ok not really new but not usual, for example, floyd rose speedloader, or line 6 variax guitars, their not typical, i want peoples opinions

my opinion
on floyd rose speedloader, maybe a good idea but i think it makes the guitars look so unusual and ugly to be honest, might be a much easier and more convenient way but it just looks so out of place and unusual and ugly that i just couldnt stand it

variax, pickupless guitars, hmmmm, again much more conveniant as tunnings can be changed at click of a mouse button (as ive read), apparently amazing clarity, then again looks so unusuall looks even fake
haha

what everyone think of these things?
If you wanna look at strange/new guitar technologies, try looking up the Moog guitar (I think that's what it's called), or the Gibson Dark Fire. Cool stuff!
Variax was a clever idea. I couldn't figure out how to use it, but I've seen demonstrations and it sounded great. It's ugly as ****, though.

The thing is, guitarists have trouble letting traditions go. That's part of the reason why we still play Les Pauls and Stratocasters, even though they're 50+ years old. Just look at the vintage guitar market. Old is often considered better than new.

Also, when the Variax came out, nobody really cared. Then about 4 years later, Gibson released the Digital Guitar and Fender had the VG Stratocaster. Those caused a stir, even though they were just taking a different approach to the same task.

Also, the self-tuning guitar. There's a company that makes motorised tuning machines. It was even features as front-page news here, but it didn't get much attention. Then later the same year, Gibson debuts the Robot guitar, which uses identical technology. Only then did people notice it.

The reason Floyd Roses got so popular is because they were extensions of existing concepts, rather than totally new ideas. Uli Roth and Van Halen made whammy bar antics "cool", but traditional Strat-style tremolos couldn't take the abuse, so a locking design was necessary.
However, people were fine tuning their guitars by hand. Who really needs a robot guitar?

In conclusion: guitarists generally like traditional gear. Bold innovations take a while to settle in.

EDIT: If you want innovation that's been accepted into the guitar community, look at Parker's carbon glass epoxy coated necks. Washburn does those too, now.
Technologies of the future:
* Drink holder that can hook onto a guitar strap or, even better, the body of the guitar itself (or potentially built into the body of the guitar).
* Ash tray that can be clipped to the headstock.
* Built-in slot on the side of the guitar for a lighter that matches the color of the guitar's finish.
* Auto-tapper: Select three notes and a tempo and let the guitar do the rest.
* Auto-tuner: Now you too can make it big, just like Kanye. Any note you play will be corrected to a pitch suitable for Top 40 radio.
* Built-in drink mixer: Pour the ingredients into a funnel at the headstock. Play a fast passage to grind the ice superfine for a smooth texture or slowly for an "on the rocks" kind of experience. Drinks exit via the lower strap hook.

I could go on.
you know wat be intresting, a guitar thats got floyd rose speedloader and variax type guitar
would look so plain yet so convenient
Ahhhh a Moog guitar! I have been GASSING for one of those!! But of course the $6000.00 price tag will throw a lot of water on the flames.

Also look in to a coil guitar. It's supposed to be able to mimic any guitar. Be it wood or pickup combination.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by kingurth

* Auto-tuner: Now you too can make it big, just like Kanye. Any note you play will be corrected to a pitch suitable for Top 40 radio.

That's what autotune software does. It's not just for vocals.

EDIT: Just checked out Coil Guitars' website. It shows videos of them being played through a Marshall MG50. They don't sound so spectacular.
Last edited by sashki at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by kingurth
Technologies of the future:
Built-in drink mixer: Pour the ingredients into a funnel at the headstock. Play a fast passage to grind the ice superfine for a smooth texture or slowly for an "on the rocks" kind of experience. Drinks exit via the lower strap hook.

I find your ideas intriguing and would like to subscribe to your newsletter