I have a few questions about notating tuplets.

If Im in 4/4 and I want to write a 7-tuplet over the space of two beats, would I notate the notes in the 7 as 16th notes or 32 notes?

Also, I have the same question but for 5 tuplets 11 tuplets.

In case your wondering why I need to know, I have this section of a song where everything is complete harmonic and rhythmic chaos for one measure, and than the down beat of the next measure is a huge major chord that signifies light breaking through clouds
a n-tuplet means you play n number of notes in the time normally used to play m beats. so 7 notes over 2 beats means that you would let each note last 2/7ths of a beat.

EDIT: in general in case it wasn't clear each note lasts n/m beats
EDIT 2: that's an interesting thing from vai.com - i don't know how "standard" it is to notate as 7:3 etc. but it certainly works
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by doive
a n-tuplet means you play n number of notes in the time normally used to play m beats. so 7 notes over 2 beats means that you would let each note last 2/7ths of a beat.

Thats not what Im asking at all. Im asking about notation not note length.

Wishfulshredder, I have a feeling that no matter who posts what, your post will contain more win than anything anyone can say at this point
ah i see what your question is now that i read it more carefully... my bad
over 2 whole beats i would personally split it into 8th notes like wishful shredder said.

Who are you writing it down for and in what format exactly? you could always put it into a composition program and see which fits?

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
ah i see what your question is now that i read it more carefully... my bad
over 2 whole beats i would personally split it into 8th notes like wishful shredder said.

Who are you writing it down for and in what format exactly? you could always put it into a composition program and see which fits?

Its a two bass duet arrangement of amazing grace for myself and my girlfriend. So far, its pretty sweet I think.

We're both pretty proficient so Ive even managed to get 4 part harmonies and some nice little counter point licks in here
If it's a duet and you can presumably talk/play with your gf then you are probably better off just explaining to her/playing it to her than trying to notate it. a 7-tuplet written is not immediately obvious, when played it makes a lot more sense.

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by doive
If it's a duet and you can presumably talk/play with your gf then you are probably better off just explaining to her/playing it to her than trying to notate it. a 7-tuplet written is not immediately obvious, when played it makes a lot more sense.

Theres quite a bit of heavy duty playing in here, and I know that if I dont notate everything, Ill forget it.
Septuplets and quintuplets would be 8th note, 11tuplet would be 16th note.

The tuplet has to be attached to the note value it's greater than, but not a note value greater than it. In two beats, you'd have 8 16th notes, or 4 8th notes. 5 and 7 are greater than the 4 8th notes, but less than the 8 16th notes, so you'd attach it to 8th notes.

The 11tuplet is attached to 16th notes because there are 16 32nd notes in 2 beats. A 32nd note 11tuplet would occur in one beat.
Quote by WhyteChocolate
Septuplets and quintuplets would be 8th note, 11tuplet would be 16th note.

The tuplet has to be attached to the note value it's greater than, but not a note value greater than it. In two beats, you'd have 8 16th notes, or 4 8th notes. 5 and 7 are greater than the 4 8th notes, but less than the 8 16th notes, so you'd attach it to 8th notes.

The 11tuplet is attached to 16th notes because there are 16 32nd notes in 2 beats. A 32nd note 11tuplet would occur in one beat.

So 5s and 7s over one beat would both be 16th notes but 11s over one beat have to be 32 notes, right?
Hey Tubatom, when you do preform it, is there a way we can see the performance on video or something. That sounds hella cool. =D
PRS SE Custom
Line 6 Spider III

travislausch wrote:

Oli_88 wrote:
You'd kill yourself if you saw some of The Fall Of Troys song titles.

Possible future Fall Of Troy song title here?
Quote by JBEADAM
Hey Tubatom, when you do preform it, is there a way we can see the performance on video or something. That sounds hella cool. =D

Ill see if I can. If you guys want I can scan the parts so you can see them. They're hand written and not done yet (in fact, I havent even heard both parts together at any point yet) but I think I can scan this stuff