just 2 quick questions. I hardly ever put my thumb around all he way to the fret board, It usually hangs back in the middle of the neck. I heard that´s how you should do it but a considereable amount of famous guitarists wrap their thumb all the way around.

and my right hand normally wrests against the bridge and i hold my pick with 3 fingers, is that good

Sorry I bet you have heard this **** alot but thanks for the help
Holding the pick with 3 fingers isnt exactly the norm.. I mean, I think Hetfield does it, but other than that. I personaly would suggest learning to hold it with thumb and index alone.

And it's up to you really with the thumb wrapping around. Classical position is used in some situations, wrapping the thumb around in others. Use each when it feels comfortable
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Aug 5, 2009,
Quote by pigeonmafia
Holding the pick with 3 fingers isnt exactly the norm.. I mean, I think Hetfield does it, but other than that. I personaly would suggest learning to hold it with thumb and index alone.

And it's up to you really with the thumb wrapping around. Classical position is used in some situations, wrapping the thumb around in others. Use each when it feels comfortable
Thanks, yeah the reason i hold it with my thumb, index and middle is because i can seriously tremelo pick like twice as fast because it´s alot steadier, i am skinny so 2 fingers just doesn´t feel steady enough, i don´t know if i should try to quit doing or not
There is alot of different ways to hold a pick, but some techniques are better than others due to string muting and what not, but it also has to do with personal preference. And your thumb position is normal. If letting your thumb stay in the middle of the neck makes things easyer for you to chord or shred, by all means do it.
Quote by Jason_Dionne
There is alot of different ways to hold a pick, but some techniques are better than others due to string muting and what not, but it also has to do with personal preference. And your thumb position is normal. If letting your thumb stay in the middle of the neck makes things easyer for you to chord or shred, by all means do it.

Thank you very much