Just as the title says. How do you find the correct angle required for the neck to be perfect with the body? Is there a formula like the bridge distance? Or is it a trial and error affair?
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Seref
My genitals dangle limply in disgust and annoyance.
The angle of the neck in relation to the body is determined by the shape of the pocket it's sitting in, not by any sort of hole drilling that you may do.

Can you be a little more specific about what you're doing?
Ok I have a Gibson SG body, and a BC Rich Mockingbird neck. What I want to do is drill the holes into the neck and screw it into the body, but at the perfect angle that will make my innotation correct. I dont know what this angle is or how to find it.

Is that what you meant?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
what kind of bridge are you using?
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Tune-o-matic bridge with a tailpiece, not string through body.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
1 and 1/2 degrees
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by METAL_MAN135
Ok I have a Gibson SG body, and a BC Rich Mockingbird neck. What I want to do is drill the holes into the neck and screw it into the body, but at the perfect angle that will make my innotation correct. I dont know what this angle is or how to find it.

Is that what you meant?

So this is a bolt-on SG with a pocket that fits the BC Rich neck?

Is there no angle there already?
oh yeah im assuming its not yet routed. you cant just drill the screw holes on an angle...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
As its a "gibson" SG body shouldnt be any screws involved. Then theres the issue of scale length.
Quote by METAL_MAN135
Ok I have a Gibson SG body,
erm, how did you get the neck off the body?
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
erm, how did you get the neck off the body?

and how did you convert it to a bolt on pocket?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Im very very sorry. I didnt think to mention that its a knockoff, i just assumed that like bridges there is a set guide to it.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
Can anybody help me with this?
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
There are issues to address before discussing this would seem worthwhile.
Someone mentioned the potential scale length problem, but you didin't comment on that.

What is the scale length of the BC Rich neck, and what scale length is the SG body designed for? With the neck in place is the distance from the bridge to the 12th fret exactly half the distance to the nut? Are you cutting a new pocket? Does the existing pocket have no angle to it already?
the BC scale is probably 25.5 and the knock off is probably still a 24.75 (although if it's true to gibson it'll more than likely be a 24.562 or 25.625 - the asian knock offs are typically the only true 24.75" scale but they too tend to differ). I don't see this working...

is the knock off a bolt on style neck? can we have pics of this thing? I think what you're looking to do is find the proper scale of the guitar, not the angle. once you find your position for your correct scale length (i.e. the length from the nut to the bridge) then you can worry about your neck pocket angle based on a number of factors - 1) how deep is the neck pocket and how proud does the fretboard sit from the body?, 2) how tall is your bridge in relation to the height of your neck and how much adjustment (up and down) do you have?. The more shallow the neck pocket - the higher the neck will sit and vice versa. If the fretboard is low to the body, you'll need a more drastic neck pocket angle to achieve the proper string height - etc. etc. etc.

there are calculators online that help with this kind of stuff or you can do your trig homework... either way, there are a ton of variables that need to be answered with solid figures before you can finalize any proper depth/angle.

first, figure out the scale of the neck and how the f*k you're going to incorporate it on the existing guitar body... if they aren't the same scale, i'd suggest finding something that's a little closer...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
The bridge is installed at exactly the distance from the nut to the twelfth fret (25"). I installed it myself because the body didnt have a bridge on it. The neck pocket is slightly wider than the actual neck itself, and the holes in the neck do not line up with the neck holes (the neck holes are closer together than the body holes). The knock off is a bolt on body. The neck barley reaches the strings from the bridge, and the TOM is set at the lowest possible height it can acheive. If you need more details just ask Im not sure what info you need.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
Where did you find a BC Rich with a 25" scale?

What are you going to do about the ill fitting neck? That's a deal breaker in my book, or at least time for some additional work.
I bought it second hand. And I have no idea what I am doing with the neck pocket that's why I came here. Im sorry if I seem noobish...its cause I am. Its my first ever build.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref
What is the measurement from the nut to the 12th fret? 25" scale seems odd for a BC Rich, that's why I asked.

If the neck pocket is not at least reasonably tight, expect to have some problems. What sort of gap are we talking about?
About a half a cm gap when the neck is put as close to one side of the neck pocket as possible. Im actually not sure of the neck scale length anymore; im at school hence why I haven't measured already. I did measure it however and install the bridge at the correct distance.
Quote by element4433

Quote by Seref