Are they necessary?
Because I have some good quality headphones, and i just stick them in my pod studio when I need to record and mix.

What difference will it make if I get some?
If you intend to mix your music, yes.

Headphones have what I call 'isolated stereo'. I don't know the proper term, if there is one, but when you put headphones on you head only the left can in your left ear, and the right in your right. Thus the sound is isolated to each side of the stereo field. This also means when you listen to the mix with headphones the stereo field is a bit different than when you listen through monitors, where you get bleed to each ear from the opposing side's speaker.

Also, the idea of monitors is for them to be as accurate to the recorded sound as possible, and not colour the sound in a way that will hide the true sound. Headphones are rarely able to have as flat an EQ curve as pro audio monitors, and thus can make it a lot harder to balance the levels of the instruments, and adjust EQ etc.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Oh ok then... so could you recommend any fairly decent cheap monitors... i'm just starting out

I've looked at the behringer c1, and the behringer ms16... are these good? I've heard good things about them
Last edited by ankthebank at Aug 5, 2009,
I don't know much about them, but I'm not a fan of Behringer products personally. I recommend Edirol MA-7A as beginner monitors at a decent price... I started out with them and got some decent mixes from them
To be honest, I am 16 years old... so that is a bit steep for me unfortunately

I have looked at a few review of the behringer 1c, and it looks good for the price... i have also got a subwoofer to boost the bass frequencies.

Please could you verify my intention to buy this product?
Quote by ankthebank

I have looked at a few review of the behringer 1c, and it looks good for the price... i have also got a subwoofer to boost the bass frequencies.

Hey wahts up ank? anyways behringer have most likely the worst rep for shoddy equipment. Also they prob wont be any better than jsut your standard computer speakers. I say stick with your headphones for now and save up for some krk rokit 5's. theyre what i have and they seem to give a nice neutral mix (and they go plenty loud for the deaf ) Also i would stay away from a subwoofer. This will give a lot of bass that will make the music sound better, but in the end result will have you turning the bass down a bit (which bass is low enough records today so it needn't be lowered anymore.) so keep the sub for listening to music and turn it off when mixing.
Quote by ankthebank

Don't use a hi-fi sub for mixing, some people will advise not to use a sub for mixing at all (except for stuff like EDM) although I disagree with that, you would definitely want a sub made for minitoring, and not one made for hi-fi.

Quote by MetalBass 77
Hey wahts up ank? anyways behringer have most likely the worst rep for shoddy equipment. Also they prob wont be any better than jsut your standard computer speakers.

That's doubtful, as computer monitors don't even try to give an even response.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Don't use a hi-fi sub for mixing, some people will advise not to use a sub for mixing at all (except for stuff like EDM) although I disagree with that, you would definitely want a sub made for minitoring, and not one made for hi-fi.

That's doubtful, as computer monitors don't even try to give an even response.

yes but if he has them already hed be better of saving and just using some headphones as the behringer imo will be only slightly better and will prob conk out real fast.
Behringer actually makes pretty good speakers, although yeah I can't really know about how well the active electronics would hold up.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Behringer actually makes pretty good speakers, although yeah I can't really know about how well the active electronics would hold up.

well i cant really say much as ive never owned behringer but steered clear due to many negative comments on them
Hmmm... perhaps I should save up.
Thanks for your comments

Do you know if there are any 'special' headphones which mimic monitor frequency responses (i may be talking out of the back of my head, but just wondering)

Thanks,
AJ
Quote by ankthebank
Hmmm... perhaps I should save up.
Thanks for your comments

Do you know if there are any 'special' headphones which mimic monitor frequency responses (i may be talking out of the back of my head, but just wondering)

Thanks,
AJ

lol not to my knowledge. good headphones will always be good as a secondary listening source and while tracking and listening late in the night.if your saving up i recommend the krk rokit 5's ( i said this already didnt i?)
Haha, i'll try and save up for those 'beasts' then

Could I try and mix my pieces through my high-quality headphones, and then transfer the mixed file to the labtec cpu speakers (other cpu) and see if it sounds good or not... if not, then i'll know where to change.
And could I mix with headphones, and then playback the file on various cd players, amps, speakers... would i get a good indication of a properly mixed file with this?
Hey, if i stick the output from my pod ux1 to the back input of my amp (the one for mp3s and cd players)... turn all of the eq on amp down... could i perhaps mix on this?

It's got two 30 watt jensen speakers, so can give stereo imaging

my amp - behringer vtone gmx210
absolutely not, speakers made for guitar amps are even worse than hi-fi speakers for this sort of thing, although TBH a lot of speakers used on modelers are pretty much hi-fi speakers they still will have problems handling the bass properly.

Last.fm
To add to what Thorazine said, the idea of mixing in stereo is to have the left speaker on your left and the right speaker on your right, in other words there's a gap in the middle (usually where the computer's monitor (the screen, not a speaker lol) so you hear the left and the right separately.

If you have a combo amp, or 4x12 etc., you will have the left and the right channels almost coming at you from the same angle/position and it will make it tough to mix accurately.
Haha, i see where the problem is now...

Well, how about if I get some DJ headphones... would these be good enough to mix, or would these still have the same 'isolated stereo' problem.

The reason i'm asking, is because DJs mix with these headphones... so they could work for mixing and mastering
Quote by ankthebank
Haha, i see where the problem is now...

Well, how about if I get some DJ headphones... would these be good enough to mix, or would these still have the same 'isolated stereo' problem.

The reason i'm asking, is because DJs mix with these headphones... so they could work for mixing and mastering

save up for the rokits, as you already have some crunkin headphones id jsut keep those and get the rokits.