what do the numbers after the notes mean?
F#2, F#2, B2, E3, G#3, C#4

the 2 2 2 3 3 4
plz exlain someone
thanks
@STABxYOU
thanks i get that now
however, say you read of a band score, it noted F#, F#, B, E, G#, C#, so how was i supposed to figure out which octave if falls into?
just by listening to it?
thats easy but whats the proper way?
and whats the actual name of these numbers?
like b is a flat like # is a sharp, the f f b e g c are notes, so what are the numbers called?

@r0ckth3d34n

say your using a tuner, im using ap software tuner which is amazing plus its freeware, also guitar pro uses these too, when adjusting the tuning you need to note down these, im trying to understand this more
Oh wait I kinda get it now.

My guitar teacher uses a tuner on his iPhone. He doesn't really like it... but it says like E1, A1, D1, etc. when tuning to standard. I think...
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
Oh wait I kinda get it now.

My guitar teacher uses a tuner on his iPhone. He doesn't really like it... but it says like E1, A1, D1, etc. when tuning to standard. I think...

Are you sure it doesn't say E1, B2, G3, D4, A5, E6?
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Are you sure it doesn't say E1, B2, G3, D4, A5, E6?

no standard would be 2 2 3 3 3 4
Quote by dareheaven

he's talking about how it might be showing which string is being played.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Depends on the tuner a lot of tuners have just string numbers, but good ones will tell you the octave (usually chromatic tuners)
not a single one of my students can figure out my tuner they think it is broken because of the octave numbers
Doesn't it have something to do with the octaves on a standard piano? Like E1 would be the lowest E note on the piano and A2 would be the second lowest A note etc.

I'm completely guessing here but yeah...
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
i understand the whole thing about it, but i dont know how to work it out, whats the proper way and i want to know this, for example, i use an ap tuner, its a freeware software tuner that i use instead of my pod x3 live tuner which is ****e in my opinion, so i use this tuner, so you get a tuning that you want to use, say d, a, d, g, b, e, now for the tuner you would have to input this info with the octaves after the notes, so how would i figure out which to put, now i know it would be d2, a2, d3, g3, b3, e4, but i only know this since the tuner already had this as a preset...
Quote by dareheaven

Didn't I just tell you that?

I'm suggesting his teacher's tuner it counting strings, cuz a guitar never has an E1, unless it's the string name.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
The numbers change on each C - eg A1, B1, C2, D2...

There are two standards - middle C (1st fret on B string) can be C3 or C4 - I believe it comes from Roland and Yamaha originally setting up proprietary standards.

If C3:
The lowest string would be E1
The lowest note on a piano is A-1

If C4:
Lowest string is E2
Lowest piano note is A0

I've come across C3 more often but I have a feeling C4 is generally used in scientific studies - could be wrong though.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
the lowest midi note is defined as C0 in the general midi standards. you can count the C's going up. not sure if musicians call it C0 but most software conforms to midi in every way. unless its an ear trainer or theory trainer software. so this whole discrepancy is basically cause humans start with 1. but computers always start with 0. just like the midi parameters and patch numbers go from 0 - 127 not 1 - 128
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
hmmm, this is a bit hard to understand
is there any way to put it in simple terms?
right
say i want to get into this tuning: F#, F#, B, E, G#, C#, and this is the only information you have
how would you figure out the octave the tunings are in?
thanks for all the help btw people