Is it really as simple as doing this?

I figured that I would ask if I should add some sort of buffer to this. The thing is I want to add things, high pass filters, volume controls, bypass of the loop... lots of cool stuff, but I want to know if I should buffer the input first.

And if I should...
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Buffers/

which one?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
bump?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
The ins and outs should be buffered.

Look at the Splitter-Blend from runoffgroove.com.

It's 2 paralell fx loops with a blend pot and a phase reversal switch for proper phase maticng of the two loops.
Cool your jets mate. Bumping after only 17 minutes will not make you any friends. You haven't even allowed time for people to thoroughly read the link.
What you have drawn will give you a simple loop, but there are better ways. If you want a detailed answer you will have to be more patient.
Ok all you have right now is a bypass looper. That is not an effects loop.

I think of an effects loop as a break in the gain stages of an amp for an external loop. The loop can be passive or active (buffered). Most people probably think of an effects loop this way. Your idea just seems to be a branch/latch coming off your signal chain prior to your amps input. This idea wont give you the benefits and such of an amp's effect's loop.

Sounds like to me you want some kind of line buffer. I like to keep my chain pretty clean, 90% of my pedals are true bypass. I only use buffers to avoid impedance mismatching and to drive my signal for long cable runs. Usually one buffer at the beginning and one at the end is good practice, more or less, depends on your setup and tone.

Your going to have to breadboard as many buffers as you can and find the one that works for you. I go for the ones with low noise and has little affect on my tone. Keep in mind anything active is going to inject noise into your signal chain. I personally like JFET op-amp based buffers.

The way your diagram is now it looks like you have a DPDT switch. In this case you already have the option to bypass the loop.

You seem to maybe not understand buffers if you are thinking about a volume control. Buffers are unity gain devices and neither boost or cut your signal. They are impedance matching circuits. A volume control would only cut your signal. Maybe you want that if you are using some boost or high output device?
Last edited by kurtlives91 at Aug 5, 2009,
I thought that you're supposed to buffer the output and input of an fx loopl. I sorta just jumped into this, nothing is made yet.

But the thing is, I want to manipulate the current coming into the box itself AND the loop. There will be many gain robbing passive components and I was wondering if using buffers was a good way to deal with gain loss.
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
No buffers wont do what you want. You can use buffers to match impedance's so the lose is somewhat smaller though. Buffer's don't manipulate current.

A better idea would be to have a gain stage then your passive crap then a recovery stage. This will definitely keep you at unity gain, actually beyond. Gain stages increase gain, gain can be measured many different ways, one being current.
so...

transistor boost - > passive crap - > transistor boost?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Would it be possible to use half of one 12ax7 for the gain and then the other half for the recovery?

Isn't that... a tube powered effects loop?

Also, how would I go about wiring a parallel loop vs a series, I think I'm correct in saying that a series litteraly gets spliced between a circuit... but how does one wire it in parallel?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
Your first statement describes a typically BF Fender preamp more or less.

No that's not a effects loop!!! Re read the thread than read up on effects loops.

Yes your series assumption is correct. Parallel a portion of the signal goes to the loop. The loop is literally parallel to the amp's circuitry.
Why can't an effects loop do what I want?
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel
wait... forget I said anything...

Give me a second, I want to mock up how I want this to work...
Pain is an illusion.
YouTube Channel