Hello everyone. This is my first post here on UG ive been lurking for awhile trying to find out some info. I figured id register and ask a few questions of my own.

1. Ive played acoustic for awhile now and theres not alot of songs I like to play on it (more of a metalhead). How much easier is it to use legato techniques on an electric then it is an acoustic?

2. Never even picked up an electric. How big of a difference is there in playability?

3. I went to the local guitar store in search of questions. I found a nice Schechter Damien 6 with a 30w Kustom Amp for 425. A 350 Dollar deal for the same amp with a Epiphone Les Paul copy.

What would you reccomend in terms of guitars, amps, strings, etc.
Also, I have a nice feel for longer picks (doritos) any good brands of them around?

Thanks.
Well, after all electric or acoustic, it is still a guitar so the change is not THAT big as everyone expects. I started out with an acoustic and played it for around a year until I bought an electric. The main changes in playability I felt were:

The feel of the string, here they are all metal.
The weight, they are heavier.
The size, evidently they are smaller, except for some like the Gibson or Gretsch.
The distance between strings is way less.
Less pressure is required to press the string to the fret.
Vibratos are quite easier to perform if your string are not too heavy.
To pull-off and hammer-on hurts your finger a little more than normal but it keeps ringing more easily.
legato is way easier because the action is lower and the strings feel better
My Gear:
- ESP Eclipse II FR
- Epiphone Les Paul
- Prudencio Saez Classical
- Marshall MG 30WattDFX
- Boss MT-2
- Ibanez TS9
- Dunlop Slash Crybaby
- Boss CH-2
electric guitars in my opinion are easier to play, the action is lower meaning less effort is needed to fret notes and hammer ons and pull offs are a load easier. tho some electro acoustics also have low action meaning they play simalarly to electrics, when you went to the guitar shop you shouldve played these guitars then u couldve answered ur own questions lol.
les pauls are heavy, schechter would prob b more suited for a metal playing style.
First off, you'd notice that the strings are easier to push down. Barre chords are easier and the neck will probably be more round depending on what kind of acoustic guitar you have. Strings will be easier to bend, you'll be able to do tapping easier, it's easier to play behind your head, playing unplugged is quiet and dead sounding (depending on your strings, lol) it's a heavier... It's really not all that dramatic, but those are the significant differences.

For you, the Damien is way better than the Epi Les Paul. Schecter guitars are leaned towards metal than Epi's. Plus the Damien will be lighter.

I use .10 guage strings and I play from Drop Db to Standard all the time. Sure that's a half step, but I don't often play in D standard. But .10 gauges are fine for that. D'addario's are decent strings. I like elixirs the most.

I use snarling dog Brain picks. Pretty thin, 0.53mm. And those dorito picks you're talking about, I'm pretty sure those are a type of bass picks. I have one. I kinda like it... can't ever seem to find them though.
Thanks EVERYONE for the quick reply. Lord these forums move fast. lol.

Also I have no idea about all these different types of pedals and digital effects.
(wah,distortion,overdrive,etc)
Could someone help explain these as well as my original questions?
Tyvm.
Last edited by FingersOfNewby1 at Aug 5, 2009,
There is a pretty big difference between the two but because my oppinion always gets slammed on UG by people who think they are clever I'll just say its down to personal oppinion.

1. legato is much easier on electric.

2. playability should be easier (smooth + nice) on electric.

3. Get a decent guitar (Schecter :p) but remember 80% of your sound is your amp (and effects) so don't cut funds on that.

Dunlop picks do fine. Play the guitars for what feels right and listen to the amps for what sounds right.

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
To answer your recent effects question I'd recommend as a beginner to get a Multi Effects pedal. Most effects will be useless but your bound to find a few you'll like.

Line 6 POD
Boss ME-20
Zoom ???

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
ESP LTD MH-1000NT
Marshall AVT100
Boss ME-70

Quote by stratdud39
Thank you for your words of wisdom.
I think some important differences between acoustic and electric are that acpustic use nylon strings, while electric use steel; also, frets in an electric are smaller than in an acoustic, and most of the times the neck is also thinner (plus you can reach higher frets)

If you play metal, I'd rather go for the schecter; les pauls, even though flexible enough for any genre, are more suited for rock (mainly classic rock); but thats's a thing of preference.

Anyone here would agree that Ibanez guitars are great for playability, quality and price. Along with Ibanez; ESP, BC Rich (high end ones), Jackson and Schecter (amongst others) are good guitars for metal.

BTW, I also like "dorito-style" picks (don't know why, they just are extremely comfortable and pointy), I use Jimmy Wess (but the ones without sandpaper-like thing).
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
for effects, I'd recommend a Digitech RP500, it's actually very good, or any other Digitech RP, if you don't have the money
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
Quote by FingersOfNewby1
Thanks EVERYONE for the quick reply. Lord these forums move fast. lol.

Also I have no idea about all these different types of pedals and digital effects.
(wah,distortion,overdrive,etc)
Could someone help explain these as well as my original questions?
Tyvm.

To find out what these pedals are and what they do, click this link, which is the GG&A FAQ. Once you're on the page, Ctrl+F '4.2 Pedals'. That should give you all the info you need.